ROUND 6: Bengals select Morgan Trent CB - Michigan

[quote name='Tigris' post='769857' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:57 PM']I kow a few Notre Dame fans and that's what they told me about Ndukwe. Said he got burnt ever single game.

Then the Bengals drafted him and he started making plays... one of the same guys who told me this went out and bought a jersey.[/quote]

Yep, I watched a lot of ND that year and remember the exact same thing. Ndukwe getting burnt like crazy. I hated the pick at the time and said so. Turned out being wrong as he has been good for us and well worth a 7th rounder.

I'm hoping I'm also wrong about Trent because he got burnt a lot in college also but, like Ndukwe, has great measurables and seems to be a good guy, so there is hope.

Also, I think Coyle is one of our best positional coaches, so maybe he can school him up.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='769832' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:31 PM']yea you usually start for 3+ years at a big school cause your not very good.[/quote]

Actually, being an Ohio State fan, I'll admit they've had guys that started 3+ years that weren't that great. Especially when the program is in the situation Michigan is in, it could be an exception. The legend of that program has all been based on history lately.

[quote name='happyrid' post='769863' date='Apr 26 2009, 06:03 PM']Yep, I watched a lot of ND that year and remember the exact same thing. Ndukwe getting burnt like crazy. I hated the pick at the time and said so. Turned out being wrong as he has been good for us and well worth a 7th rounder.

I'm hoping I'm also wrong about Trent because he got burnt a lot in college also but, like Ndukwe, has great measurables and seems to be a good guy, so there is hope.

Also, I think Coyle is one of our best positional coaches, so maybe he can school him up.[/quote]
I don't know Trent's desire to learn, but one thing that has helped and aided Ndukwe is his speed and strength and he WANTS to be the best. But like you said, yes, hopefully Trent is the same way.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='769832' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:31 PM']yea you usually start for 3+ years at a big school cause your not very good.[/quote]

Nobody's saying he started due to favortism. He was presumably the best CB they could field at the time. He just isn't very good and was attacked by other teams. Difference from Ndukwe is that Duke was a safety who had to clean up the mess after the ND CBs blew the coverage.

[quote name='happyrid' post='769810' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:19 AM']I don't think he ever did that at Michigan.

I have to be honest in saying that I hate this pick. He has decent size and is really, really fast. But, he has just gotten abused by WRs for the past few years. That's why a guy with his measurables was there this late.

I will give one caveat though, I hated the Chinny Ndukwe pick a couple years ago also because he too got pretty abused in the passing game while he was at Notre Dame and he has turned out to be pretty good, especially for a 7th rounder.[/quote]
The analogy to Ndukwe is a good one. Hopefully this kid turns out to be a special player for us once he gets some decent coaching. He sure wasn't getting it @ Meatchicken. :P

Archived