Mac Apps in Linux

I used Wine for a few weeks on my new MacBook (before upgrading to VMWare Fusion, which was infinitely better). As far as I know, Wine doesn't run Mac apps, it's only meant to run Windows apps on other OS's.

Your best bet is to download WMWare Player. The Player is free, but you'll need to find another way to make the Virtual Machine to use inside the Player. VMWare Workstation is the program normally associated with doing this, but it's $189 for the personal version. You [i]may[/i] be able to download the trial of VMWare Workstation, use it to make your VM, then play it using the free VMWare Player. I'm not sure if VM's made using a trial version of Workstation will stop working after that trial period or not, but could be worth a shot. Also, before you start any of this, know that you'll need either an OS X DVD, or an .iso of OS X to install onto the VM. I've heard that OS X and VMWare don't always play nice. OS X is specifically made to run on Mac hardware, and the simulated hardware inside the Virtual Machine may not quite match what OS X is looking for. So, don't be surprised if there's some "quirks". You can probably research some fixes for that though.

I suggest you have a decent amount of RAM in your Linux box when you do this (at least 2GB, preferably 4GB). Also, it'll likely run really slowly when you first load it up. Configure the VM to use at least 768 MB of memory (1GB if you're box has over 4 GB total).

Sounds complicated, and if you've never used VM's before, it probably is a little bit, but VM's are incredibly handle tools once you get used to using them.

Good luck, and let me know how it work out.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' post='778538' date='May 24 2009, 06:03 PM']I used Wine for a few weeks on my new MacBook (before upgrading to VMWare Fusion, which was infinitely better). As far as I know, Wine doesn't run Mac apps, it's only meant to run Windows apps on other OS's.

Your best bet is to download WMWare Player. The Player is free, but you'll need to find another way to make the Virtual Machine to use inside the Player. VMWare Workstation is the program normally associated with doing this, but it's $189 for the personal version. You [i]may[/i] be able to download the trial of VMWare Workstation, use it to make your VM, then play it using the free VMWare Player. I'm not sure if VM's made using a trial version of Workstation will stop working after that trial period or not, but could be worth a shot. Also, before you start any of this, know that you'll need either an OS X DVD, or an .iso of OS X to install onto the VM. I've heard that OS X and VMWare don't always play nice. OS X is specifically made to run on Mac hardware, and the simulated hardware inside the Virtual Machine may not quite match what OS X is looking for. So, don't be surprised if there's some "quirks". You can probably research some fixes for that though.

I suggest you have a decent amount of RAM in your Linux box when you do this (at least 2GB, preferably 4GB). Also, it'll likely run really slowly when you first load it up. Configure the VM to use at least 768 MB of memory (1GB if you're box has over 4 GB total).

Sounds complicated, and if you've never used VM's before, it probably is a little bit, but VM's are incredibly handle tools once you get used to using them.

Good luck, and let me know how it work out.[/quote]

I don't like VMWare because they charge an obscene amount of money for what they provide.

If you want to visualize in OS X, [url="http://www.virtualbox.org/"]VirtualBox[/url] is the way to go. All the functionality of VMWare with none of the cost...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='778579' date='May 25 2009, 01:34 AM']I don't like VMWare because they charge an obscene amount of money for what they provide.

If you want to visualize in OS X, [url="http://www.virtualbox.org/"]VirtualBox[/url] is the way to go. All the functionality of VMWare with none of the cost...[/quote]

VMWare Server and Workstation are definitely expensive (I have free licenses through work, so not much of a hurdle for me), but VMWare Fusion for the Mac is actually quite affordable. It's generally around $70, but they alway seem to be running a discount on it. I got my license for $50 and it includes future version upgrades, if I recall correctly.

I'll have to give Virtual PC a shot at some point, I suppose, although I don't really have much of a reason to. Fusion's quick as lightning and the Unity feature is fantastic. But, nothing to be gained from having a closed mind, of course.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' post='778620' date='May 25 2009, 02:04 PM']VMWare Server and Workstation are definitely expensive (I have free licenses through work, so not much of a hurdle for me), but VMWare Fusion for the Mac is actually quite affordable. It's generally around $70, but they alway seem to be running a discount on it. I got my license for $50 and it includes future version upgrades, if I recall correctly.

I'll have to give Virtual PC a shot at some point, I suppose, although I don't really have much of a reason to. Fusion's quick as lightning and the Unity feature is fantastic. But, nothing to be gained from having a closed mind, of course.[/quote]

$70 still > than free. That was my only point. And for speed, Parallels is actually a good shot faster that Fusion, though Fusion has better eye candy.

Most of my rancor towards VMWare stems from the fiscal rape one must endure to get their enterprise products. I'm hoping Xenserver starts eating into their market share because it has the potential to be a much better product...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='778623' date='May 25 2009, 01:18 PM']$70 still > than free. That was my only point. And for speed, Parallels is actually a good shot faster that Fusion, though Fusion has better eye candy.

Most of my rancor towards VMWare stems from the fiscal rape one must endure to get their enterprise products. I'm hoping Xenserver starts eating into their market share because it has the potential to be a much better product...[/quote]

All fair points, although I did try Parallels and wasn't all that impressed. Fusion was also cheaper (Parallels is $79)

Like I said, I use VMWare everyday at work and get free licenses for their Windows products because of it. So, I tend to stick to VMWare as much as possible. It's also important that the virtualization apps I run on my Mac are compatible with my already existing VMs (and there are quite a few). I travel a decent amount, so I like being able to fire up work and other VMs while I"m at of town.

I also take my MacBook to work with me everyday, and occasionally use it to run a temporary database server or three while I'm waiting on an official one to get stood up from our infrastructure guys. Our work computers are....well, lacking for what we're supposed to be doing on them, so I push as much of the intensive stuff as possible off to my Mac.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' post='778635' date='May 25 2009, 03:08 PM']All fair points, although I did try Parallels and wasn't all that impressed. Fusion was also cheaper (Parallels is $79)

Like I said, I use VMWare everyday at work and get free licenses for their Windows products because of it. So, I tend to stick to VMWare as much as possible. It's also important that the virtualization apps I run on my Mac are compatible with my already existing VMs (and there are quite a few). I travel a decent amount, so I like being able to fire up work and other VMs while I"m at of town.

[b]I also take my MacBook to work with me everyday, and occasionally use it to run a temporary database server or three while I'm waiting on an official one to get stood up from our infrastructure guys. Our work computers are....well, lacking for what we're supposed to be doing on them, so I push as much of the intensive stuff as possible off to my Mac.[/b][/quote]

Been there, done that... ^_^

And just curious if you've used Parallels recently. I only ask because /. had a link to some benchmarks recently and it smoked Fusion.

Much to my surprise...

Archived