Some Fat to Chew

That Pro Football Focus has become a relatively known site. I was digging rough there and came across some information that I though I would share.

On the site they have a page where it seperates QBs passes thrown by direction and yardage. 0-9, 10-19, 20+. Here are the numbers for a good amount of QBs from 2009.

The number below is the total number of times each QB threw a pass that was 20+ yards.

PManning-92
Rivers - 79
Rodgers-74
Brees-70
Flacco-71
Brady - 69
Roeth-69
Cutler-68
McNabb-68
Favre-66
EManning-66
Garrard-64
Orton-57
Schaub-52
Henne-47
Campbell-47
Romo-45
Ryan-40
Ryan-40
Warner-39
VYoung-39
ASmith-38
Palmer-35

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='11 March 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1268358624' post='869836']
I can't make heads or tails of this list...what does the 35 mean?
[/quote]

I have no idea about this either, but my guess would be Palmer attempted 35 passes of 20 yards or more. :shrug:

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 March 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1268361656' post='869859']
one thing I did notice on the site, and this is mostly delay of games, is that Carson was the most penalized QB last year.
[/quote]

id assume this has a LOT to do with the plethora of packages for blocking and TE's and multiple tackles and on and on that caused the issues.. having to swap linemen often is sure to slow things down.. those dudes are slow as fuck..

he should ahve his eye on the clock better, but since its the first year with the problem im not too concerned.

the OP obviously left out what stat that he mentioned the numbers were actually for..

and im not sure how its interesting really.. are there people who think the offense didnt go deep for fun? like it was super fun to not be able to throw for 4,000 yards like we used to?

i like palmer in the huddle over JT more than i like going deep 70 times..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 March 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1268362107' post='869862']
id assume this has a LOT to do with the plethora of packages for blocking and TE's and multiple tackles and on and on that caused the issues.. having to swap linemen often is sure to slow things down.. those dudes are slow as fuck..

he should ahve his eye on the clock better, but since its the first year with the problem im not too concerned.
[/quote]

That doesn't matter...they should have had that shit DOWN by the beginning of, if not by mid-season, and yet...there were still issues getting the snap off in time.

Certainly it cannot all be Carson's fault, but this was just one more thing in a series of things last season that soured our offense's ability to sustain drives, which led to our once awesome defense being hung out to dry, which in turn led to...well, you know. Losing in the playoffs.

We can do better. We should be better. No more Chad false starts, no more excessive oline penalties, no more delay of games...these things add up and ended up costing us games over the haul.

Still...it was a good season overall. Encouraging for the future, even. I'm stoked, I can't wait for us to take the field yet again. I feel like our guys have unfinished business...because they do...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 March 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1268362908' post='869871']
[b]That doesn't matter...they should have had that shit DOWN by the beginning of, if not by mid-season, and yet...there were still issues getting the snap off in time.[/b]

Certainly it cannot all be Carson's fault, but this was just one more thing in a series of things last season that soured our offense's ability to sustain drives, which led to our once awesome defense being hung out to dry, which in turn led to...well, you know. Losing in the playoffs.

We can do better. We should be better. No more Chad false starts, no more excessive oline penalties, no more delay of games...these things add up and ended up costing us games over the haul.

Still...it was a good season overall. Encouraging for the future, even. I'm stoked, I can't wait for us to take the field yet again. I feel like our guys have unfinished business...because they do...
[/quote]

interesting... and not even remotely true or factual.

i agree with the rest, but the bolded part, WOULD be true, if it was the same people running the packages all year long..

we had whit at LT all year.. and cook at C all year..

aside from that, roland and collins took turns sucking ass while andre was hurt, and then andre came in too, so you had a rotation, as well as a power line, then added a 3rd guy into it halfway through the year... and at LG, you had livings and mathis both getting hurt and taking turns being hurt and also taking turns sucking ass...

all on top of Cook being a first time starter coming off a severe foot injury.

how exactly does a draft pick who missed all of camp, got injured and didnt tkae a snap till halfway through eliminate silly mistakes? all that experience? and i suppose Cook should ahve down pat the experience of all those teams he was still facing live for the first time surrounded by rotating shitty players on his left, and the same far down his right side....

as i said tho, i agree with th rest, eliminate the mental mistakes, the continuity and growth will help, but so will some better talent.

cant wait to see how the rest of the offseason goes with our own FA's as well as the draft...

gonna be a god offseason and an exciting year i think.

I can't make heads or tails of the numbers in the original post, but from watching a lot of football, Carson seemed like he was average at best (16th best QB would be average) last year. I'd personally put him somewhere between 15-20th best QB last season. I know he's better than that. If he gets back to the real Carson, this offense and team could take a huge step forward.

Personally, I would love to see us sign a decent TE (Graham or Baker) and a decent OG (bobbie or pitts) and then just go nuts on defense in the draft. Then, if Carson can get back to being a top 5 or 10 QB, we will be real contenders for the Super Bowl. Arguably, for the first time since 1990, when I was 11 years old.

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited about the direction of the team....

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 March 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1268363912' post='869881']
interesting... and not even remotely true or factual.

i agree with the rest, but the bolded part, WOULD be true, if it was the same people running the packages all year long..

we had whit at LT all year.. and cook at C all year..

aside from that, roland and collins took turns sucking ass while andre was hurt, and then andre came in too, so you had a rotation, as well as a power line, then added a 3rd guy into it halfway through the year... and at LG, you had livings and mathis both getting hurt and taking turns being hurt and also taking turns sucking ass...

all on top of Cook being a first time starter coming off a severe foot injury.

how exactly does a draft pick who missed all of camp, got injured and didnt tkae a snap till halfway through eliminate silly mistakes? all that experience? and i suppose Cook should ahve down pat the experience of all those teams he was still facing live for the first time surrounded by rotating shitty players on his left, and the same far down his right side....

as i said tho, i agree with th rest, eliminate the mental mistakes, the continuity and growth will help, but so will some better talent.

cant wait to see how the rest of the offseason goes with our own FA's as well as the draft...

gonna be a god offseason and an exciting year i think.
[/quote]

But the coaches and the team KNEW they were in this position from training camps going forward, especially in light of the TE injuries...how hard can rotating players in and out be, especially on offense when you've presumably practiced doing that AND control the clock? Other teams seem to be able to do it without excessive penalties...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 March 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1268364221' post='869885']
But the coaches and the team KNEW they were in this position from training camps going forward, especially in light of the TE injuries...how hard can rotating players in and out be, especially on offense when you've presumably practiced doing that AND control the clock? Other teams seem to be able to do it without excessive penalties...
[/quote]

you can only make a pile of shit look so pretty.

wtf could they do?

you cant make shit players perform and learn and adapt like all pros.. otherwise coaches would get paid the big bucks and id be an NFL punter.

and so they knew mathis and livings would get hurt?

and what, they should ahve not played andre at all sicne they knew he was hurt and missed time early?

none of that makes sense.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 March 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1268364390' post='869889']
you can only make a pile of shit look so pretty.

wtf could they do?

you cant make shit players perform and learn and adapt like all pros.. otherwise coaches would get paid the big bucks and id be an NFL punter.
[/quote]

I picture you as more of a Janokowski-style FG kicker...who eats a doughnut on camera before booming the 55-yarder...wide right...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 March 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1268364488' post='869890']
I picture you as more of a Janokowski-style FG kicker...who eats a doughnut on camera before booming the 55-yarder...wide right...
[/quote]

sign me up! ill do it for league minimum..

When were Mathis AND Livings ever hurt at the same time? I don't recall that. I recall Mathins being hurt for a time after playing well and not earning his job back from Livings once he was healthy...but still...yet another oline rotation...

Look, I agree with you on this in principle...which is why I want the Bengals to do everything necessary to secure starting oline positions through the draft, experience, whateva...just settle on whom your starters are going to be and START them, develop the continuity necessary that sheds the need for a 3RT rotation and a 2LG rotation...get your starting 5 ready to roll and ROLL WITH THEM.

Archived