Bengals at Welcome Stadium in Dayton, Ohio

[size="5"][b]Flyers get pep talk from the Bengals[/b][/size]

By Doug Harris, Staff Writer
Updated 6:55 AM Monday, August 23, 2010

The University of Dayton football team had a photo session at Welcome Stadium and then a tailgate luncheon with their families outside UD Arena on Sunday, Aug. 22. And coach Rick Chamberlin told his players to stick around afterward because he wanted to share a few words.

But with the Cincinnati Bengals on the way to practice at Welcome Stadium and the UD event dragging on even after everyone had finished eating, some players figured out Chamberlin wouldn’t be the one giving those parting comments.

“We know coach Chamberlin wouldn’t keep us around for no reason,” junior receiver Justin Millio said. “A couple of us older guys thought we knew who it was. Some said Ochocinco, some said T.O. and some said Marvin Lewis. We knew it was probably one of those big three.”

The speaker wasn’t either Bengal receiver. It was the one without a reality TV show.

In a short message, Lewis reminded the defending Pioneer Football League champions that last year’s accomplishments mean little this season.

“You don’t get to start where you left off, unfortunately — because if you did, we’d get to start at the top of the AFC North. And we know that doesn’t happen,” he said. “You’ve got to earn everything you get.

“What you need to take forward with you is the confidence (that) you know how to get where you’re going.”

Lewis ended by shouting, “Who Dey.” Spotting UD lineman Matt Riddle, a Pittsburgh native, wearing a Ben Roethlisberger jersey, the coach then asked, “Did I get the guy in the ‘7’ jersey to say, ‘Who Dey’?”

While Chamberlin couldn’t quite pull off his surprise, Millio believes Lewis’ words had an impact.

“It’s a big thing to have him saying things to the players — because you need another perspective, especially from someone that’s above you and is at a point you want to get to,” he said. “It meant a lot.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/flyers-get-pep-talk-from-the-bengals-874919.html

[b][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2010/08/22/bengals.html"][size="5"][color="#0d5e96"]The Bengals will be back[/color][/size][/url][/b]
By [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2010/08/22/bengals.html#postcomment"][color="#0d5e96"]Tom Archdeacon [/color][/url]| Sunday, August 22, 2010, 11:53 PM

After Sunday's great success at Welcome Stadium, my guess is you'll see the Cincinnati Bengals back here again for a preseason practice or two next year. It might become an annual thing.

And should the club ever do away with its extended training camp down at Georgetown College — some NFL teams are leaning that way and staying at their own facilities for the preseason — Dayton could become an easy one-day change of scenery for the Bengals.

Team brass were stunned by the huge turnout here Sunday. Close to 15,000 people — everybody from high school football teams like Dunbar, Thurgood Marshall and Meadowdale and peewee teams like the Dayton Flames to three generations of families — showed up to watch a 90-minute preseason practice.

While team owner Mike Brown recalled the team's last foray into the area — holding practices at Centerville High in 1997 and 1998 — he said, "They were well attended…. but nothing like this….We'll sure think about doing it again in the future."

For several months now the Bengals already have had a marketing person set up in the Dayton Dragons offices to to find ways of partnering up with the ultra-successful minor league franchise., which helped put on Sunday's session.

And Brown admitted he has a soft spot in his heart for Dayton:

"On the way up here I explained to Paul (his son and the Bengals vice president) that when we first built Riverfront Stadium, one of the issues was whether to put it midway between Dayton and Cincinnati. For reasons that were political and economic and other reasons, it ended up on the riverfront….But I always thought of Dayton as part of our market and this certainly shows it.

"When we first came here ( back when the team began in the late 1960s) we had to contend with the Browns. (Dayton) had a lot of old Browns fans from watching them on TV over the years. Heck, Cincinnati at one point was Browns' territory, too.

"I think we've managed to get by that some here….. I'm very happily surprised today. I didn't dream we'd have almost 15,000 people watching practice. It makes me proud. Very proud."

Sunday at Welcome Stadium there was a real love-fest with the Bengals.

There were fans like Nicole Cross, a Krogers cashier, who showed up with her husband, sister, brother and nephew . She wore an orange halter top, red nails and held up a sign that read :

"[i]CO…T.O….Child Please."[/i]

"From Chad's (reality) show," said Nicole, " that's his phrase: 'Child Please.'"

She said Ochocinco is her favorite Bengal. but T.O. "is getting there…They're' Bonnie and Clyde."

Behind the Bengals bench was Theresa Casey. She wore stylish sunglasses, orange sandals and a long print dress: "I'm trying to go with as much orange and black as possible…and still look like a lady."

Her son Jamil was back in the crowd some where. Her nephew Noodles knelt at her feet, but she had her sights set on someone else.

"This is like a dream come true. I'm not a football fan. Just a T.O. fan," she said of Terrell Owens. "It's been like that since the first time I saw him. He's just sooooo fine. I got to say it — he's just a mandingo….And a great football player, too."

If he came close enough, she had something to tell him: "I'd say, 'I love you. I wish you the best in your career and your love life.' And I'd say I got a niece — Satoria — who'd be the perfect girl for him."

Another fan who showed up was 47-year-old Tom Bryant of Trotwood, who 16 months ago fell down a stairs and suffered, he said, a traumatic brain injury:

"I wasn't expected to live — basically it was the same injury Chris Henry had — and I was in a coma a month. But I did survive and when they told me it would be Christmas 'til I'd get out (of the hospital) I said, 'You watch.' Football season was coming up and I'm a huge Bengals fan.

"They motivated me to push ahead and I was out of the hospital June 26."

Although he's not able to work, he still follows his favorite football team. Until this season — when lack of funds cost him his season tickets — he said he had missed only one Bengals home game since at Paul Brown Stadium opened.

"I love the Bengals — they helped me get better," he said. "I just want to say thank you."

People showed up for lots of reasons Sunday — Centerville's John Erbaugh was there to see his cousin Mike Nugent, the Bengals kicker out of Centerville High — but they especially came because it was a chance, as coach Marvin Lewis put it, "to get up close and personal with the team."And that was never more the clear than when thousands of fans swarmed the field afterward for an impromptu autograph session with the players.

"I haven't seen anything quite like that — they just kept coming and coming and coming," said running back Cedric Peerman. "You just had to weather the storm and sign away. That's the least we could do. They had been so good to us."

And that's a big part of why the Bengals will be back.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2010/08/22/bengals.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2010/08/22/bengals.html[/url]

That was a lot of fun. I got to meet a bunch of the players and coaches. I talked to Brat for about two minutes and he said that they have to get some of the kinks out, but he's staying up late trying to figure out how to use all of the pieces. He REALLY likes Gresham. I also got to talk to Bscott, and he said he's okay, shoulder's a little sore, but if Friday had been a real game he would have kept playing. My son got video of all the players on the O as they came on to the field, I'll try to figure how to load it one here this weekend when he's over the house. He also got a lot of individual pictures, especially when the guys were doing interviews. I lucked up, and got into the paddock where the offensive players were at, and got to watch the whole practice from the track.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1282511258' post='909137']
You aren't missing anything. They aren't paying any attention to what's going on at the practice at all. Just talking to Lapham, Chick, Lippencott, showing various videos of interviews, etc. Nothing worth seeing really.
[/quote]
I watched it on tv for about an hour, it was a real snooze-fest.

Archived