Site Issue...

Numbers

Within the last couple days or so the go-bengals site has been hanging up. By that I mean, when attempting to go to another site from here, the computer will constantly be in a wait mode and never actually transfer to that site. Another issue is that at times, only the advertising banner will show up and no forum posts or anything below the advertising banner. Refresh will get rid of the nothing below the banner problem but the only way to get rid of the transfer issue is the infamous control-alt-delete and "end process or end process tree." While hung up on this site, the memory usage will go higher than 100 megs. Happens under both browsers (IE8 / Mozilla).

I am operating on Windows Vista, IE8 and/or Mozilla, and Norton AV. (All programs are updated with every new system/virus updates but no add ons such as tolbars etc...). The system is free and clear of all viruses, spyware, malware, etc...

Not sure if this is a similar issue as before when the advertising agency used caused problems with a few of the computers.

I get some hanging issues sometimes but mine occur usually when I click on "view new topics" or when I reply to a post. I get a "Waiting on ad yield manager" or some such message. Sometimes I also have to refresh but I've never had to open task manager to deal with it. Windows Vista, Chrome.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1285196787' post='921701']
hm... i have seen the hang up and loading issue on windows pc but not my mac at home.. so buy a mac?

j/k.. i think its the countdown clock... ill look for another one or remove it... see if that helps..
[/quote]

FWIW my issues were happening before you added the countdown clock...so don't remove it, its COOL!

I especially like the customizable "slogan" for each week.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1285197934' post='921705']
Thanks Go. Will go and buy MAC. j/k

However, if this is just happening to me then don't fix something that is not broken for everybody else.

[img]http://blog.sillica.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/handler_012.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

i doubt your alone.. probably just the only to bring it up..

and i prefer the screen to look like this:

[attachment=763:Mac-OS-X-theme_1.jpg]

and not this...

[attachment=764:bsod.jpg]

but whatever suits you is fine...

hell im surprised you noticed the site not working using windows anyway.. shit not working is kind of what windows is all about.. :on_the_quiet:

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1285199400' post='921708']
FWIW my issues were happening before you added the countdown clock...so don't remove it, its COOL!

I especially like the customizable "slogan" for each week.
[/quote]

i may be able to find another one just as sweet... ill look around before i dismantle...

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1285246952' post='921804']
If you're cloud computing then you are way ahead of where I am at. Too many variables I don't have control of, namely security.

How's your speed in relation to your Windows PC ? Way faster, significantly faster, noticeable, etc..
[/quote]

noticeably faster and no real worries about security... torrents, iffy sites for software games movies, etc.. are a nightmare on windows, and no big deal with mac, as mac isnt much of a target currently..

OS uses less resources so off the bat its not working as hard, then each program in windows uses seemingly twice as much resources than my mac does (in comparing my sons windows notebook to my mac)

my feeling is just that microsoft has their mitts in everything you do on windows, and mac more-less controls what you can bring into its atmosphere vs meddling in everything you do...sucking resources..

everything just goes smoothly essentially all the time...

every computer has hiccups and issues trying to get different generation items working together, etc, but its either working perfectly or not at all with mac, you know where you stand, and not kinda working but wont print or wont do this or that like the quirky stuff in windows..

just happier after switching.. and i was one making fun of mac users on here for years...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1285552026' post='923277']
noticeably faster and no real worries about security... torrents, iffy sites for software games movies, etc.. are a nightmare on windows, and no big deal with mac, as mac isnt much of a target currently..

OS uses less resources so off the bat its not working as hard, then each program in windows uses seemingly twice as much resources than my mac does (in comparing my sons windows notebook to my mac)

my feeling is just that microsoft has their mitts in everything you do on windows, and mac more-less controls what you can bring into its atmosphere vs meddling in everything you do...sucking resources..

everything just goes smoothly essentially all the time...

every computer has hiccups and issues trying to get different generation items working together, etc, but its either working perfectly or not at all with mac, you know where you stand, and not kinda working but wont print or wont do this or that like the quirky stuff in windows..

[b]just happier after switching.. and i was one making fun of mac users on here for years[/b]...
[/quote]

Told ya...

I dont like the fact that Microsoft gets bashed for being proprietary and closed source, but Apple gets a pass. For whatever reason, apple annoys the shit out of me.

So I went the Linux route instead.

/I have never had issues with Windows though

//Memory usage is much much much better in Linux. 300-500MB utilization instead of 2-3GB memory utilization

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1285596516' post='923481']
I dont like the fact that Microsoft gets bashed for being proprietary and closed source, but Apple gets a pass. For whatever reason, apple annoys the shit out of me.

//Memory usage is much much much better in Linux. 300-500MB utilization instead of 2-3GB memory utilization
[/quote]

they are proprietary in opposite ways.

apple forces compatible hardware on you that they know works best with their OS.... microsoft meddles in all software and is always behind in ensuring hardware compatibility.

microsoft is behind the 8 ball with having to try to be optimal with thousands of processors, thousands of brands and types of memory, thousands of brands and types and quality hard drives, millions upon millions of home brew softwares for dozens of versions of the OS, some shit straight wont work with 64 bit at all, etc..

OSX has some of the same issues, but on a smaller scale and the community identifies it quickly and there are versions of each OS pretty quickly.

apple: "Buy a good computer jackass, not a $279 dell special piece of trash, good processor, good memory, LED screens, buy quality shit for crying out loud, and our OS is like $29 if you do."

microsoft: "buy our software, cause its all you know and feel like you have to, BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! ps: we dont care what shitty machine you put it on, not out problem, we already have your money. PSS: you know the good version is like $350 bitches! "

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1285596516' post='923481']

[/quote]

I get your point (typing this response in Debian 5 BTW) but there's a reason why Apple gets a pass.

People buy and use Apple products by [b]choice[/b] because their products work better than anyone else's (iPhone, iPad, OS X) whereas MS products are generally foisted upon the masses particularly in the business world. Plus, it's the [b]way[/b] MS obtained their market share that makes people hold them accountable.

Apple has obtained their increased market share by building a better product. Microsoft obtained theirs via illegal and sleazy business practices.

I work in a Windows shop and don't mind all that much as I look at it as job security. Though I have managed to introduce a number of Linux systems here including converting our websites to CentOS. And I use Linux on my desktop here as well.

Sure, when you buy Apple you're locked in, but at least their shit works the way it's supposed to.

Plus they make the [b]best[/b] laptops in the industry, hands down...

Archived