Two quarterbacks now in mock top five

The NFL's regular season is over and the playoff field is set, which means the top 20 of the NFL draft order is also locked in.

Our next full mock first round is still a couple of weeks away, but here's a quick look at how I see the top five playing out right now.

All five of the players below are underclassmen who have until mid-January to decide whether they will enter the draft, so this is obviously subject to change. But as things stand today, there is little question who the top pick would be.

1. Carolina Panthers -- Stanford QB Andrew Luck
Luck is the highest-graded quarterback since Matt Ryan in 2008 and will be the face of the franchise that drafts him for years.

2. Denver Broncos -- Auburn DT Nick Fairley
A versatile lineman with the ability to disrupt plays in the backfield, Fairley would help shore up a defense that has been a mess for some time now.

3. Buffalo Bills -- LSU CB Patrick Peterson
Peterson's combination of size, instincts and athleticism would be an instant upgrade for the Bills both on defense and in the return game.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
The Bengals managed only 27 sacks in 2010 and could use Bowers' quickness and athleticism off the edge. He also can play the run.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
Gabbert has risen up the board late in the season thanks to the size, arm strength and pocket mobility to develop into an effective starter in the NFL.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294094712' post='957088']
I'll admit i haven't seen a lot of him, but i don't get the hype for Gabbert at all. Don't even think he's a first round pick.
[/quote]

BTW he declared for the draft today so someone has told him he will go pretty high....

[b]Blaine Gabbert elects to enter draft[/b]

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Missouri junior quarterback Blaine Gabbert has elected to make himself available for the NFL draft.

Gabbert has started the past two years, and is coming off a standout performance in the Insight Bowl, when he was 41 of 57 for 434 yards and a touchdown in a loss to Iowa.

2011 NFL Draft

NFL The Carolina Panthers are officially on the clock. Stay tuned to the Scouts Inc. draft blog for all your 2011 NFL draft coverage.

"This is definitely a bittersweet day for me," Gabbert said in a statement Monday. "I was really looking forward to having a chance to do some special things next season with my teammates, but in the end, this is the right decision to make for myself and my family.

"These last three years have been an unbelievable experience for me, and I'll miss being at Mizzou, but I'm definitely looking forward to this next stage of my life. "

Various early draft predictions have rated Gabbert as a first-round pick and the second-best at his position behind Andrew Luck of Stanford.

Gary Pinkel said the time was right for Gabbert to go pro.

"We're very proud of Blaine and how hard he's worked to put himself in position for this opportunity," Pinkel said in a statement. "He's been an outstanding leader for our team.

"It's been a privilege to coach him and have him as part of our program."

Missouri totaled 18 victories the last two seasons, and this year's 10-win season was only the fourth in school history. Gabbert passed for 3,186 yards and 16 touchdowns.

In 31 games at Missouri, Gabbert passed for 6,822 yards, fourth best in school history.

Missouri has had three first-round picks the last two years, with linebacker Sean Weatherspoon taken with the 19th pick by the Falcons this year, wide receiver Jeremy Maclin taken by the Eagles in 2009 and defensive tackle Ziggy Hood taken by the Steelers last year.

Three other Missouri players, defensive ends Aldon Smith and Jacquies Smith, and tight end Michael Egnew, have been evaluated by the NFL to help decide whether to declare.

Freshman James Franklin, Gabbert's backup this season, is the likely frontrunner to replace him next season. Gabbert's younger brother, redshirt freshman Tyler Gabbert, also is on the roster.

Over Mallet? Wow.

I think our best bet is to trade down and get as many linemen as we can. Get a linebacker like Thomas Howard or Chad Greenway and a safety like Eric Weddle in the free agency and start pounding the rock with Cedric.

Imagine Pouncey, Cannon, and Watt with our first three picks with the possibility of Pettis in round 3, though I don't think he will be there. I think that would trump Bowers or AJ Green for me. Give me linemen.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1294096030' post='957105']
Over Mallet? Wow.

I think our best bet is to trade down and get as many linemen as we can. Get a linebacker like Thomas Howard or Chad Greenway and a safety like Eric Weddle in the free agency and start pounding the rock with Cedric.

Imagine Pouncey, Cannon, and Watt with our first three picks with the possibility of Pettis in round 3, though I don't think he will be there. I think that would trump Bowers or AJ Green for me. Give me linemen.
[/quote]

I too am starting to favor trading downa little and picking up a 2nd rounder while still getting Petersen, Quinn or maybe slightly reaching for one of the top OL guys.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294094712' post='957088']
I'll admit i haven't seen a lot of him, but i don't get the hype for Gabbert at all. Don't even think he's a first round pick.
[/quote]
Yeah he is more like a late 1st to 2nd round pick...

Newton is the only other QB who goes top 5 IMO

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294096809' post='957118']
I too am starting to favor trading downa little and picking up a 2nd rounder while still getting Petersen, Quinn or maybe slightly reaching for one of the top OL guys.
[/quote]
I feel like we have a very solid core. We just need to make sure we build on it. Can't miss on any picks this year. If Andre pans out and we get 3 or 4 good players in this draft, we are in good shape for next year.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294096918' post='957121']
To me, a lot depends on what happens with Benson and Joseph....

If we lose Benson and we trade down I would be targeting Mark Ingram...

If we lose Joseph and we trade down I would be targeting a CB

If we stand pat, I want Bowers....
[/quote]

THIS

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294346366' post='959163']
not a first rounder, but Greg McElroy is on ESPN right now talking about Auburn and breaking down the way they play and also about playing in the national championship.

He's a smart fucker and knows his shit. And very well spoken.
[/quote]
I agree. I've been impressed with McElroy every time I've seen him. He may not have the arm or mobility of the other top guys but he flat out wins games and makes great decisions under pressure. He would be a great pick by the Bengals to be Carson's backup.
As for some of the others:
I bet my boss Ohio State would win the Sugar Bowl because Mallet would choke and the guy did exactly what I thought he would again. Mallet looks absolutely amazing until the last 5 minutes of the game. I don't know if it's something he can fix or something that will haunt him his entire career.
Newton I think will still go top 10 but not because he's ready to start in the NFL. Whoever drafts him will need an established QB in place that Newton can learn from - I'm thinking Dallas is a perfect fit for Cam.
Locker should not be picked by anybody until at least round 3. He didn't have the best teams to play for at UW but he should have gotten more wins with what he had. The Huskies had big wins over USC each of the last two years but then stunk it up against average or below average opponents, not the sign of a true leader IMO.

Somebody to watch -
Pat Devlin is playing in the FCS championship for Delaware today on ESPN2, airs at 7 p.m. in Cincy. He's a transfer QB and has gotten some high draft grades, I even saw him mocked to the Bengals in the second round in one version of a mock. He could make a climb into the first round with a good game today and Flacco also came from Delaware so that will probably help him somehow.

Archived