Gruden Media Conference

Whaddya say Jay?
Posted by rernst 02/03/11, 3:12 pm

New Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden recently took part in a conference call with Cincinnati reporters. Here are some highlights:

On the hiring process: “I talked with some other teams before (the Senior Bowl). Coach Lewis called me and mentioned he had a spot. … I flew up there and watched a lot of film and got on the board. He liked what he saw and offered me the job. I said I needed to think about it. I got to the airport about 20 minutes later and called him back and told him I’d take the job.”

On making the complex simple: “I hope to do that. I hope to challenge everybody in the building. We’re going to get after it in a lot of different ways. … We plan on being simple and basic in what we do, but it’s going to look complex. That’s a big part of our offense.”

On classifying his offense: “The beauty of the West Coast is that it has a lot of different branches. We’re going to have a lot of different personnel groupings and a lot of formations. But when it’s all said and done we’ll be simple. I learned the offense from my brother Jon in Tampa Bay in seven years. … The beauty of the offense is we can gear to our strengths, whatever they may be — great tight end, great running back, great running game. We have the ability to go a lot of different directions. Once we get into camp and get our roster set, we’ll fire a lot at ‘em and find out what we’re best at, what our quarterback likes and doesn’t like, and go from there.”

On Carson Palmer: “Anytime you’re coaching offense you want to make sure you have a good quarterback. It all starts at the quarterback position, as we all know. No quarterback means no offense. It’s very important for us to do whatever we can to talk to Carson and get him to come back. I feel strongly that, if given the opportunity to talk to him and sell him on the offense and the excitement we’re going to bring to the team, (inaudible). If he’s adament about not coming back, that’s going to be his decision. We can only control what we can control. Hopefully Carson comes back and we can make it a right fit for him and make him comfortable amd really enjoy himself playing football.”

On Palmer, again: “He’s one of the elite quarterbacks in the league in my opinion. We have to keep it that way, keep him protected and let him have fun playing football. If he wants to come back, we’re going to make everything right for him and give him every avenue to succeed.”

On the quarterback’s role in his offense: “Quarterbacks love it. There are a lot of things the quarterback can do. He has a lot on his plate. It’s going to be a challenging system for him, but I think he’ll welcome the challenge. Hopefully he’s open to the change, because it will be a major change for him. He’s been in the same system for a long time. .. For the most everything’s going to be new to him, but I think he’ll enjoy it once he sits down and checks it out.”

On the rest of the Bengals offensive personnel: “You have a lot of young talent — a great running back who’s a free agent, a solid offensive line, a great rookie tight end. There’s a lot of talent in our offense we just have to bring out. They’ve done some great things over the years, we just have to build on those things.”

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1296769749' post='968089']
If he thinks we have a solid O-line, I'm not sure I trust his judgement.

:ninja:/2
[/quote]

He doesn't know, he's going off of other Bengals coaches' 'briefings'. Once he gets them out there and works them out and sees how they block (or not) he'll get a better idea. Until then, he'll watch film of last year and get a better idea. I hope his idea is accurate enough PRIOR to the draft so due attention is paid to Oline.

I guess this means Paul Alexander is coming back.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1296769749' post='968089']
If he thinks we have a [size="3"][b]solid[/b][/size] O-line, I'm not sure I trust his judgement.

:ninja:/2
[/quote]

Technically all he is saying is that they are not "liquid" or "vapor".

You got a problem with that?

Archived