Marvin accepts that Carson Palmer won’t be back, Carson is atop Miami's list

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1301347221' post='980515']
Palmer isn't coming back. That ship has sailed. Move on.
[/quote]

Harley: Just remember Bruins up 3-0. The Flyers didn't move on. Well, maybe they did,eh?

No ship sails until it leaves the harbor. And even then it can return.

This makes no sense That doesn't even equal 100%.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1301424125' post='980650']
1. The head coach has to plan for the worst.

2. The agent is going to say what his client wants him to say.

3. Joe Reedy is a reporter. What does he know?

The only fact in all of this is that Carson requested a trade.

Based on his net worth, he didn't get and hold onto all of that money by flushing tens of millions down the drain...

Tell me the bridges Carson has actually burned. He hasn't said a damned thing. Everything that has happened can be written off. "I had come to the end of a very rough year and requested a trade. My wife and I no longer felt safe in our home so we put it up for sale. We have spent a few months getting away from it all, and have realized Cincinnati is the right place for us. We're excited to be back, and have found a new home. Sadly, a lot people have saying terrible things about threats and demands. I can assure you I never said any such thing...."

You appear to be one of the few unable to notice dozens of pages in thread after thread that debates just this very topic.

I don't know if he's coming back. That's the whole point. I'm just pointing out that anyone stating he's absolutely coming back or is absolutely leaving looks foolish. No one knows.

1. He hasn't burned bridges. 'Unnamed sources' have been trying to burn bridges. Chad tried to burn every Cincinnati bridge to the ground and came back. This is very fixable if it turns out he comes back.

2. He didn't acquire his wealth by throwing money away. He's due a ton of money that will be tough to actually walk away from if he's not traded.

3. Without the opportunity to trade him, there's dick he can do about this.

4. Someone's going to have to make an offer for him that Mike Brown sees as value. After Carson's down years, a very likely scenario that there won't be trades possible for 2011 picks, an iffy quarterback class, and that huge sum of money tied to Carson, do you believe someone will make an offer Mike Brown can't refuse?

5. The list of guys Mike Brown has traded on demand is about as long as the list of guys who have given up football and tens of millions of dollars when they still felt they gas in the tank.

Personally, I give it an even three way split. I think there's a 33% chance he's traded, a 33% chance he retires, and a 33% he returns. There's too much good information pointing at each possibility to rule any of it out... Except, apparently, for you.
[/quote]

1. The head coach has to plan for the worst.

2. The agent is going to say what his client wants him to say.

3. Joe Reedy is a reporter. What does he know?

The only fact in all of this is that Carson requested a trade.

Based on his net worth, he didn't get and hold onto all of that money by flushing tens of millions down the drain...

Tell me the bridges Carson has actually burned. He hasn't said a damned thing. Everything that has happened can be written off. "I had come to the end of a very rough year and requested a trade. My wife and I no longer felt safe in our home so we put it up for sale. We have spent a few months getting away from it all, and have realized Cincinnati is the right place for us. We're excited to be back, and have found a new home. Sadly, a lot people have saying terrible things about threats and demands. I can assure you I never said any such thing...."

You appear to be one of the few unable to notice dozens of pages in thread after thread that debates just this very topic.

I don't know if he's coming back. That's the whole point. I'm just pointing out that anyone stating he's absolutely coming back or is absolutely leaving looks foolish. No one knows.

1. He hasn't burned bridges. 'Unnamed sources' have been trying to burn bridges. Chad tried to burn every Cincinnati bridge to the ground and came back. This is very fixable if it turns out he comes back.

2. He didn't acquire his wealth by throwing money away. He's due a ton of money that will be tough to actually walk away from if he's not traded.

3. Without the opportunity to trade him, there's dick he can do about this.

4. Someone's going to have to make an offer for him that Mike Brown sees as value. After Carson's down years, a very likely scenario that there won't be trades possible for 2011 picks, an iffy quarterback class, and that huge sum of money tied to Carson, do you believe someone will make an offer Mike Brown can't refuse?

5. The list of guys Mike Brown has traded on demand is about as long as the list of guys who have given up football and tens of millions of dollars when they still felt they gas in the tank.

Personally, I give it an even three way split. I think there's a 33% chance he's traded, a 33% chance he retires, and a 33% he returns. There's too much good information pointing at each possibility to rule any of it out... Except, apparently, for you.
[/quote]

Mongo, I actually understand and basically agree with your distaste for absolutes. This is a message board in which the content is nearly all opinion, conjecture, viewpoints, etc. so you'll have some of this. You can always point out how wrong someone is after the fact if you think that will help regulate it. But with passionate posters, I don't think absolutes should/will go away 100% (a non absolute about absolutes, like that?). Go ahead call them out afterward and shred their cred.

I was comfortable with stating the Carson ship has sailed as everything points to this for me. And yes it's not fact. You can do the old told you so if I'm wrong. I realize his house for sale means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

As for burned bridges, I'm looking at a different aspect of this. I too have stated by not saying anything publicly, he can maintain his nice reputation throughout the league. While you provided a nice scenario, you cannot "unring" the bell in some people's minds. By requesting a trade and not saying anything afterward, he has angered many - management, staff and fans. Just look at this board. There's no way he waltzes back into Bengal land with all forgiven, without any discomfort and no extra scrutiny. When things go bad, and they will, he will be crucified by the fans and media. They will cite that he doesn't want to be here, he's not trying, he's going to ask to be traded again... Look how many here already want him gone. It will become a nightmare. He's knows that and playing for this team again, really isn't an option. The bridge is burned in this respect.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1301440571' post='980694']
Harley: Just remember Bruins up 3-0. The Flyers didn't move on. Well, maybe they did,eh?

No ship sails until it leaves the harbor. And even then it can return.
[/quote]

You are a wise one, LeTigre, point taken.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1301435199' post='980680']
That was the exact quote that I heard from somone in the know.
And I shared it as such. If he had said exactly something else,
that is what I would have shared. But he said "100% Wife driven".

Sorry that you think that is outlandish or lame. But it is an exact quote from
someone that knows more about what's going on with this team than
any reporter on Sirius or other NFL News outlet.

If you are going to ignore it, then ignore it. Don't try and ridicule me for sharing
some info you wouldn't have heard otherwise though.
[/quote]

Old, I just included your 100% wife driven as some humor at the end of my post. Not taking a swipe at you, big fella. I actually think his wife has a part in this too. Maybe 42% wife driven.

[/quote]

Here's how Bodog has it:

[quote]But you can still bet only at Bodog’s NFL odds what Palmer’s status will be on opening day 2011: a member of the Bengals (-200), a member of another team (even) or retired (+750).[/quote]

This may be updated within, I don't have an account.

http://beat.bodog.com/sports/nfl-betting-odds-status-of-carson-palmer-for-2011-season-14995.html

Archived