Marvin accepts that Carson Palmer won’t be back, Carson is atop Miami's list

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301074398' post='979893']
depends on if his price tag comes down, but I'd be in favor of Hasselbeck.
[/quote]

I could see how his warts may be more to your liking. My concern is whether his decision making is still sound.. His TD/Int ration last season was horrible, and IIRC wasn't he one of the guys in that statistic who had a majority of sacks happen after 3 secs? I could be totally wrong on that, but for some reason it comes to mind.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1301070559' post='979866']
not a huge fan of Young, but for some reason he wins, and I think we could do a lot worse.
[/quote]

Exactly the same here, and by worse I mean Mcnabb... he is done..

Young is the best of what is out there... IMO

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1301074292' post='979892']
And that would be my issue with him as well, hence the "not a big fan of" thing... But it seems most of our options have some warts, so if we were to end up with Young, I can't see it being the end of the world as a stop gap.

It's also possible that he may have learned something in the process.. I think Benson was fairly culpable in Chicago, but seems to have mellowed while here.
[/quote]

There was actually an interview with Vince Young fairly recently where he took the high road in discussing Jeff Fisher and stated that if he was Fisher, he would have also benched Young (himself) as he was very immature. I think Vince Young would be such a huge upgrade over Hasselbeck or McNabb who seem to be the 2 names floating around.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1301069286' post='979852']
And yet I'd still prefer him as our QB in 2011 than any QB in this draft. Let him play while the rookie learns.

I just don't see a Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford in this draft who can come in right away and start.
[/quote]

a scenario like that is exactly what we should do. mcnabb can hold the fort down for a year or two as well as any option we could entertain. the only players available with more upside would be kolb (and that's a maybe), or bulger. he'd come in day one understanding 90% of what gruden wanted to do and you have to recognize the value of that. i don't expect ANYONE to lead the 2011 cincinnati bengals to the super bowl, but if there is even the slightest chance, it would take an established veteran to do it. one that is well schooled in this offense would only increase those odds even moreso.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1301082463' post='979934']
a scenario like that is exactly what we should do. mcnabb can hold the fort down for a year or two as well as any option we could entertain. the only players available with more upside would be kolb (and that's a maybe), or bulger. he'd come in day one understanding 90% of what gruden wanted to do and you have to recognize the value of that. i don't expect ANYONE to lead the 2011 cincinnati bengals to the super bowl, but if there is even the slightest chance, it would take an established veteran to do it. one that is well schooled in this offense would only increase those odds even moreso.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have a problem with McNabb either. I think he has been a good QB over his career, and since Gruden comes from the Reid tree, I think he would be able to hit the ground running in Gruden's WCO.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1301084002' post='979946']
I wouldn't mind signing Marc Bulger for a year or 2 and grooming his replacement while he starts.
[/quote]

i would be fine with him too. i just think mcnabb would have a better grasp of what's going on, which might be mega-valuable depending on the length of the strike shortened pre season.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1301084002' post='979946']
I wouldn't mind signing Marc Bulger for a year or 2 and grooming his replacement while he starts.
[/quote]

I don't know why there hasn't been much said about this guy. Bulger is super underrated because the Rams organization just fell apart around him. He is definitely a good QB, wouldn't be a liability, and honestly would probably be the 2nd best QB in our division behind (barf) Roethlisberger. B'more was willing to pay him more than Joe Flaccid last year to be a backup.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1301097830' post='980021']
I don't know why there hasn't been much said about this guy. Bulger is super underrated because the Rams organization just fell apart around him. He is definitely a good QB, wouldn't be a liability, and honestly would probably be the 2nd best QB in our division behind (barf) Roethlisberger. B'more was willing to pay him more than Joe Flaccid last year to be a backup.
[/quote]

my concern with Bulger is his shoulder. If that checks out, he's certainly worth bringing in.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1300742425' post='978795']
I want to know who here wouldn't "bitch out" if:

1. You had zillions in the bank
2. Worked for a shitty company that was going nowhere
4. Job was taking a physical toll on you
3. Had a hot wife asking you to live on the beach (and probly do it a lot) for the rest of your life

Where can I sign up? Any of you who would say you would stay are work are liars. Child Please.
[/quote]
1. Money in the bank is even more of a reason to not "bitch out" to your wife. You can basically do whatever you want.
2. NFL QB for the Bengals is still an NFL QB, I'd never give up a job like that willingly.
4. According to all sources Carson is healthy and ready to go. I hate it when people act like he's taken more hits than guys like McNabb and Garcia who are still out there playing, even though Garcia is in the UFL.
3. His wife is not that hot. And there are lots of hotter chicks ready to retire to the beach with Carson anytime he wants.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1300749687' post='978845']
Carson, like most motivated goal oriented people most likely set professional goals for himself when he first arrived. I am sure he felt he had a chance to achieve most of these goals in the first 8 years in the NFL.

Fact is he probably hasn't accomplished anything close to what he expected and to make matters worse, had to watch Big Jen succeed when everything he did should have spelled failure.

Carson and his wife took out the list and said, "This aint happening here." Its not that hard to figure out. You can point fingers at her all you want but I doubt she had the final say at all. She probably just tired of hearing about the three ring circus in Cincy, told him to do something about it or quit crying and he did.
[/quote]
When you point your finger four more point back at you. Carson is not off the hook when it comes to this team not being more successful.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1301160525' post='980175']
When you point your finger four more point back at you. Carson is not off the hook when it comes to this team not being more successful.
[/quote]

Thank you!!

[/quote]

Actually, only 3 fingers point back at you, then there's the thumb which is off in a kind of perpendicular direction with the finger thats being pointed

:contract:
:26:

I'd take VY over Hasselback, Bulger, or whomever. Guy did nothing but win games. 67%. 2/3rds of your games being wins in the NFL usually puts you in the playoffs. I think our first step needs to be consistently reaching the playoffs. Once you get there, anything can happen.

[/quote]
I totally agree but I doubt Carson does.

I think he walked in here with his Heisman trophy and strawberry scented shit and thought things would be great. After the 3rd year he figured I will be a legend here (of course) and might as well sign the extension and get that big check.

Keep in mind this is the classic All Time superstar story. Probably the best player by far in pee wee within 100 miles. Every adult probably kissed his ass when he was 12 years old. Those of us with kids in wee football have seen this kid and how grown men will literally slobber over them and wish that was their kid. It is a bit disturbing.

Got to Junior High and now he was being talked about around the area and the young girls were starting to flock to him. In High School he was the legendary big man on campus, could do no wrong, any chick he wanted, recruiters at every game etc.. I witnessed the same thing with John Paxson in High School. Dude walk on water and farted potpourri.

Went to college, hit a few speed bumps, then, of course (in Carson's mind) he played as the great QB he was and everyone around him finally played up to their ability. He won the Heisman like he knew he would.

Fast forward 8 years and Carson is on NOBODY's radar screen. He is rarely discussed in any QB conversation other than the WTF is up with the Bengals and Carson shit. He has accomplished nothing really compared to what he did at every other level. A couple of meaningless playoff games are much like going to the Las Vegas Bowl his junior year at USC and losing 10-6 against UTAH.

He has watched as Big Jen, who has less talent, win Superbowls and worse, accolades about being tough and great.

What is interesting is most of us are probably missing another thing that probably torments Carson and that is Matt Cassel. Think about it. Cassel is now a media darling and did great this year for a storied old time Kansas City franchise that has had a lot of misery over the last few years. Cassel was nothing more than Carson's backup at USC throwing a staggering 33 passes in college. Now Carson is watching his personal water boy do great things while his stock has plummeted.

Carson has always been the golden boy and even when we hit some bumps (2006 and 07) Carson still looked great and he could always blame something (knee injury)or somebody else for the failure in his mind. Besides, the fans still love him.

2010 probably shattered all that. Carson did not play well and probably for the first time in his life, got booed for playing poorly. If you went to any games, this was loud belligerent booing in some cases. I think the boos probably had a much greater effect than you realize. This guy has never had to grow up, he plays football for a living. He has spent his entire life having adults fawn over him like most men fawn over Eva Longoria in a bikini. He was given pretty much everything he asked for offensively yet he did not deliver. HE FAILED this year and you are so right, he can't possibly think he was not a major factor in this lost season.

Unfortunately, I seriously think a guy like Carson thinks he was the problem at all. He says the right things but I doubt he really means any of it. He has always been the solution and star, not the problem and goat. Going to another team is the way he will prove he is the great player he is. He doesn't feel anything good will come of staying in Cincinnati. I doubt his wife was a big a player as most think. His mindset has been built since he was 7.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1301324847' post='980426']
What a stupid post.
[/quote]
Compared to the shit your write?? :on_the_quiet:

Yeah, Vince Young is the answer and lets hire a Mike Leach, a guy that locks a player with concussion in a garage then cries like a little bitch when he got caught. Funny how ole Mikey hasn't received any offers in 2 years. Makes one go Hmmmm. Oh, its the officials fault, they want Texas in a BCS bowl. What a moron.

You have talked yourself into hating Carson based on hardly anything. You made all that shit up, yet you made up your mind according to that hallucination of a post.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1301325376' post='980428']
Yeah, Vince Young is the answer and lets hire a Mike Leach
[/quote]

+1

Archived