Can AJ Green block?

I must admit I am writing this because I am coming round to the idea of having AJ Green as the #4 overall pick.

HOWEVER, I've heard some scouts in some quarters saying that Green cannot block that well. How well would he fit Gruden's offense given that the scheme requires receivers who can block, and why? Just wondered what the consensus was on this board.

Found this on a niners site, of all places:

[i][b]A.J. Green, Georgia(7):[/b] Some would argue, and I may be inclined to agree, that it would be foolish for the 49ers to spend a top 10 pick on a wide receiver for the second time in three years. However, Green is a special talent that needs to be considered if he falls to #7. He is extremely explosive down the field, and at 6 foot 4, wins most jump ball battles. However, the main reason that I have him on this list is because of his far superior route running skills. Green may be one of the most polished wide receiver to enter the NFL in the last decade. He doesn't allow the ball to eat him up on the intermediate routes, has never shied away from contact and is explosive after the catch. What makes him so much better for the WCO is the fact that he can break off routes, knows how to utilize his body to shed tackles and generates separation early in the route. These are three of the most important things that you want from a WCO wide receiver. [/i]

The whole article gives insight into how certain top prospects will fit the WCO, which Harbaugh will be running in San Fran.

Link:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jN0OG0N47FgJ:www.facebook.com/notes/niners-nation-a-san-francisco-49ers-blog/san-francisco-49er-player-personnel-and-the-wco-part-iii-a-look-at-the-draft/10150167967608923+aj+green+good+fit+for+wco&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

IMO blocking at the NFL level is as much about effort as it is skill. RB's at the NFL level are fast enough, that a WR only need tie up his CB for 1-2 seconds to spring a RB. That's an effort thing.

I don't agree with Todd McShay on much, but I agree with what he said awhile back regarding Green and Jones (paraphrasing): You don't take a WR for how well you think he blocks. You take the better WR. Green is the better WR.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1302168732' post='982322']
I must admit I am writing this because I am coming round to the idea of having AJ Green as the #4 overall pick.

HOWEVER, I've heard some scouts in some quarters saying that Green cannot block that well. How well would he fit Gruden's offense given that the scheme requires receivers who can block, and why? Just wondered what the consenses was on this board.
[/quote]

In the games that I saw him play, he's not a great blocker, but he's a willing blocker. Improve his technique a little, and get him a little stronger (a year in an NFL weight room should accomplish that) and he will be solid.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302177445' post='982330']
IMO blocking at the NFL level is as much about effort as it is skill. RB's at the NFL level are fast enough, that a WR only need tie up his CB for 1-2 seconds to spring a RB. That's an effort thing.

I don't agree with Todd McShay on much, but I agree with what he said awhile back regarding Green and Jones (paraphrasing): [b]You don't take a WR for how well you think he blocks. You take the better WR. Green is the better WR.[/b]
[/quote]

While I agree with the sentiment, I believe it is over simplified. Obviously blocking isn't the most important aspect of a WR's game.. But sometimes it's part of a bigger overall package of abilities.

You have to look at their complete game, of which blocking is one aspect... I could make a similar statement like, "You don't take a WR because of how fast he runs"...

I think an accurate statement IMO could be, "You don't pick a WR because of how pretty he looks cathing the ball, or how fast he runs down the field. You pick the [i]football player[/i] who will be the most productive in your system, and has the right qualities to fit the the team in general".

I'm not trying to say that Green is not a "football player".. But I think there is more to making this selection than that quote even begins to cover.

While I agree that Green isn't known as a fierce blocker, as others have said, it's about effort a lot of times, or getting in the way, if nothing else. And knowing how Green competes for the ball over the middle, how he doesn't let the ball hit his body, and how he is on contested throws, I think he will be a willing blocker who'll get better. I don't think he's a major diva as so many WRs are, and given the fact that the other non-Chad Bengal WRs (Ship, Cosby, Simpson, Caldwell) all are willing to block, he'll have others to watch and learn from.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1302191673' post='982384']
N.O. Q.B. M.E.A.N.S. N.O. P.R.O.D.U.C.T.I.O.N. F.R.O.M. A. W.R.

A.H.H.H.H.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.
[/quote]

So the Bengals are only going to play offense with 10 guys?

That will suck.

Archived