On the clock: Bengals - Bengals go defense

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1303066921' post='984170']
Makes sense since the offense was SO GOOD last year and have lost our starting RB, QB, and probably both WR's...
[/quote]
i'll be damned. who does ocho play for now? i guess i must have missed that one. and you say ced benson has moved on to another team, too? my vacation to the keys really put me behind the 8-ball with the latest news. you guys are going to have to bring me up to speed!

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1303066921' post='984170']
Makes sense since the offense was SO GOOD last year and [s]lost[/s] [b]could possibly lose[/b] our starting RB, QB, and probably both WR's...
[/quote]
fixed

And yes it does make sense in a lot of ways, no honestly it does!

AJ Green may be the best player available, but having a Nick Fairley may give the team a better chance of winning.

I'm on the fence with offense and defense at no.4.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1303070784' post='984183']
fixed

And yes it does make sense in a lot of ways, no honestly it does!

AJ Green may be the best player available, but having a Nick Fairley may give the team a better chance of winning.

I'm on the fence with offense and defense at no.4.
[/quote]

as long as they don't take one of the QB's and don't insanely reach for someone else, I'll be happy with the pick as they'll be getting an impact player that can help the team whether it be a DE, DT, WR, DB or LB.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1303071081' post='984186']
A great defense and a good run game could make a team look great in the AFC north. Keep putting the pieces on defense in there.
[/quote]

In this day and age, it is impossible to have a good running game without a solid passing attack to keep defenses honest.

You really think if teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore don't respect your passing attack and decide to put 8 in the box that you can still run it on them?

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1303072644' post='984193']
In this day and age, it is impossible to have a good running game without a solid passing attack to keep defenses honest.

You really think if teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore don't respect your passing attack and decide to put 8 in the box that you can still run it on them?
[/quote]
It's very easy for a lot of people on this board to forget about Simpson and Caldwell playing really well in the last 3 games of the season. We saw a glimpse of the future without Chad and TO, and no AJ Green, why is everyone panicing about the offense? WR is a need, but it isn't the biggest need - possibly the 3rd/4th biggest need behind, DT, SS, LG. The only reason why AJ Green makes sense is because he has less bust potential, but in terms of how the team is currently set up, an impact DT will have more influence than an impact WR.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1303072644' post='984193']

[/quote]
Same could be said for a passing game, where you need a good run game to keep a defense honest. Peyton Manning finally looked human, because he literally had no one to run the ball for him. I firmly believe that you can mask a mediocre QB with a really good run game. See Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Matt Hasselback, etc. Carson didn't have a very good year in 09, but since Cedric was so good, it didn't matter.

When you run the ball well, you have less risk of turning the ball over, more time of possession, and a better rested defense. Less turnovers and a great time of possession of the ball usually leads to a win.

Archived