Mass Layoffs In Newspaper Industry...

BengalBeotch

*MASS Layoff....I just got "had" in a mass lay off while the executives got big bonuses for saving money.... Apparently great productivity, no mistakes, perfect reviews don't mean a thing.... Just a number. Thank God I got smart in the 3rd round of cuts and decided to start back to school. NOW I can collect unemployment, spend more time with my kids and take on more classes to finish my degree. While letting the government pay for more of it....I have 73 credit hours and need 128 for my Bachelors in Art Education... I think I would make a swell teacher!

Have a computer, will work for food.... haaaaaaaaaa.... under the table.... (Not that!) Cash for Art!

Anyway, went on a beautiful vacation, worked one week, got laid off... been busy with full-time work, kids and school...now I have
a little more time to catch up with my Go-Bengal guys!!

I feel your pain (or will be soon) as things aren't much better in the broadcasting industry. In the middle of a hostile takeover where we're the "Takees" and their CEO is a notorious silver spoon cockbag who inherited his dad's company and has systematically run it into the ground.

Oh well, if the ax falls I hear Munich is a nice place for IT geeks...

I have thought about getting rosetta stone German myself.....
[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1309399698' post='999198']

Oh well, if the ax falls I hear Munich is a nice place for IT geeks...
[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1309439819' post='999227']
I have thought about getting rosetta stone German myself.....
[/quote]

Take it from someone who has used that software; don't. It really doesn't work.

I recommend [url="http://language101.com/"]this[/url] software. It's priced move competitively and actually works.

Just my 2 cents...

I was kind of joking. Though when I talked to a friend in Germany I couldnt believe what the pay is for the same type of position there.

Thanks for the link. I have tried rosetta Mandarin a few times but never got into it. Will check this out.
[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1309440487' post='999228']
Take it from someone who has used that software; don't. It really doesn't work.

I recommend [url="http://language101.com/"]this[/url] software. It's priced move competitively and actually works.

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Lori, although like [b]Backer[/b] says...sounds like you are making lemonade with your lemons. Its kind of a shame, really, as I love newspapers...print media in many instances just never anticipated nor figured out how to cope with the internet and make it work for them instead of against. Seems like only old people like my parents and [b]Backer[/b] actually buy/read newspapers anymore.

They needed to reinvent themselves and failed. Look no further than our local rag, the Enquirer. Yes, they have a website. But there's more pop-ups and banner ads than there is content.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1309440746' post='999230']
I was kind of joking. Though when I talked to a friend in Germany I couldnt believe what the pay is for the same type of position there.

Thanks for the link. I have tried rosetta Mandarin a few times but never got into it. Will check this out.
[/quote]

I spent months using RS German after having liberated a copy from some "pirates" :whistle: before my first trip to DE.

Got off the plane and realized I couldn't understand a fucking thing they were saying, nor communicate, unless I wanted to tell someone they were eating a sandwich or wearing blue shirt. RS doesn't even get in to useful phrases or communication until you're on level 3, AKA $700 into the program.

You'd be better off taking a class at a community college.

And it started out as kind of a joke for me as well... ;)

Archived