Patriot Act...

BengalSIS

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jason' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:31 AM']I have nothing to hide.

Oh, you forgot Rushlimbaugh.com, drlaura.com, foxnews.com, hannity.com, and glennbeck.com.

[b]Oh, and drudge links to liberal columns and stories as well as conservatives.[/b]
[right][post="104229"][/post][/right][/quote]

you have to read it, to know that [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img] don't let our secret out :lol:

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BengalSIS' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:14 AM']They will check every website, we can't guarantee they won't.  And every farmer, science teacher, biology or chemistry student better watch out.  You realize everyday household items make up most homemade bombs?  Watch out for that 2 year old and their play-doh....
[right][post="104223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

they will moniter most websites... theres no way that they could physically watch every website, but i'm sure that they will watch certain websites that would be obvious to all of us... i agree about the homemade bombs part, but that is why we would have to watch what people say, as well as buy... if a farmer buys some fertillizer, and that is the same ingredient in a homemade bomb, wouldn't the farmer be willing to be watched on the internet, to protect our country?? i think he would, and if i was that farmer, i wouldn't care if they watched me get on screwingdonkeys.com, b/c that isn't against the law... but if he goes to an extremist islamic message board right afterwards, then they we would to watch closely...

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:00 AM']He did discuss what needs to be done.  SECURE the borders

:)

If they can't get in, they can't set up elaborate networks that take away my freedoms and cost taxpayers money to spy on
[right][post="104171"][/post][/right][/quote]

Let me preface this by saying I like pretty much everyone here but Im past my breaking point so Im being a little blunt ...

No he gave a general answer with no specifics in a bitching tone. Saying secure the borders is such an easy thing to say but its a bit more complex than just that. How do we do it? Should we just put up walls and say stay the hell out? Isn’t that going directly against this..

[quote]Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, 
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. 
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: 
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.[/quote]

Shall we have a national ID card system and register people as they come in? Well if we do that what is the best way of making sure we register someone and they just don’t change their identity when they get here? I’m sure you hear news reports about identity theft all the time. Hmm maybe a DNA database could help in which with biometric security on it that would make it a lot tougher for hackers to get into, but I’ve heard complaints about something like that as well.

A lot of you only want to bitch and give simplistic answers that aren’t thought out in terms of how we actually solve these issues, and you bitch from the sidelines without getting in the game to play any minutes at all. Have any of you done anything other than pay taxes to better our country? How about you call your congressmen or senator or lobbying group and actually see what you can do to help rather than bitch about it on a message board.

We had a Democrat President not to long ago that said something like this..."Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country"

I ask the same question of each of you.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]We had a Democrat President not to long ago that said something like this..."Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country"[/quote]

[i][b]And shortly after he asked this ......... <_< [/b][/i]

[img]http://www.sexstump.com/zapruder.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 17 2005, 12:05 PM']Damn the Pic is blocked at work, Ill have to check it out when I get home.  I needed a laugh after that post too. ;)
[right][post="104243"][/post][/right][/quote]

i wouldn't call this pic "a good laugh"...

JFK getting shot...

Guest bengalrick
in the beauty of bipartisanship, i want to post this... a funny, yet scary look at the possible future... i don't see things as this bad, but since i have some similar nightmares about what we teach our kids, and not making (for instance) oral sex... NOT SEX... i can see the points that some make around here about our liberties that we take for granted right now... i don't think it would be like this, but its at least good for a good laugh:
btw, i found this on freerepublic (not where you would expect to see this)...

[url="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1425016/posts"]click here[/url]
[quote][b]Ordering Pizza in 2008[/b]
unknown | 6/17/2005 | e-mail

Posted on 06/17/2005 9:13:39 AM PDT by IamConservative

(Following is a "humorous" e-mail I ran across. I posted this under humor, although the thought of this becoming reality is not that humorous.)

Operator: Thank you for calling Pizza Hut. May I have your national ID number?

Customer: Hi, I'd like to place an order.

Operator: I must have your NIDN first, sir.

Customer: My National ID Number, yeah, hold on, eh, it's 6102049998-45- 54610

Operator: Thank you Mr Sheehan. I see you live at 1742 Meadowland Drive, and the phone number is 494-2366. Your office number over at Lincoln Insurance is 745-2302 and your cell number is 266-2566. Email address is sheehan@home.net. Which number are you calling from sir?

Customer: Huh? I'm at home. Where'd you get all this information?

Operator: We're wired into the HSS, sir.

Customer: The HSS, what is that?

Operator: We're wired into the Homeland Security System, sir. This will add only 15 seconds to your ordering time.

Customer: (sighs) Oh well, I'd like to order a couple of your All-Meat Special pizzas.

Operator: I don't think that's a good idea, sir.

Customer: Whaddya mean?

Operator: Sir, your medical records and commode sensors indicate that you've got very high blood pressure and extremely high cholesterol. Your National Health Care provider won't allow such an unhealthy choice.

Customer: What?!?! What do you recommend, then?

Operator: You might try our low-fat Soybean Pizza. I'm sure you'll like it.

Customer: What makes you think I'd like something like that?

Operator: Well, you checked out 'Gourmet Soybean Recipes' from your local library last week, sir. That's why I made the suggestion.

Customer: All right, all right. Give me two family-sized ones, then.

Operator: That should be plenty for you, your wife and your four kids. Your 2 dogs can finish the crusts, sir. Your total is $49.99.

Customer: Lemme give you my credit card number.

Operator: I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid you'll have to pay in cash. Your credit card balance is over its limit.

Customer: I'll run over to the ATM and get some cash before your driver gets here.

Operator: That won't work either, sir. Your checking account is overdrawn also.

Customer: Never mind! Just send the pizzas. I'll have the cash ready. How long will it take?

Operator: We're running a little behind, sir. It'll be about 45 minutes, sir. If you're in a hurry you might want to pick'em up while you're out getting the cash, but then, carrying pizzas on a motorcycle can be a little awkward.

Customer: Wait! How do you know I ride a scooter?

Operator: It says here you're in arrears on your car payments, so your car got repo'ed. But your Harley's paid for and you just filled the tank yesterday.

Customer: Well, I'll be a #%#^^&$%^$@#

Operator: I'd advise watching your language, sir. You've already got a July 4, 2003 conviction for cussing out a cop and another one I see here in September for contempt at your hearing for cussing at a judge. Oh yes, I see here that you just got out from a 90 day stay in the State Correctional Facility. Is this your first pizza since your return to society?

Customer: (speechless)

Operator: Will there be anything else, sir?

Customer: Yes, I have a coupon for a free 2 liter of Coke.

Operator: I'm sorry sir, but our ad's exclusionary clause prevents us from offering free soda to diabetics. The New Constitution prohibits this. Thank you for calling Pizza Hut.[/quote]

Guest bengaljet
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:38 AM']Let me preface this by saying I like pretty much everyone here but Im past my breaking point so Im being a little blunt ...

No he gave a general answer with no specifics in a bitching tone. Saying secure the borders is such an easy thing to say but its a bit more complex than just that. How do we do it? Should we just put up walls and say stay the hell out? Isn’t that going directly against this..
Shall we have a national ID card system and register people as they come in? Well if we do that what is the best way of making sure we register someone and they just don’t change their identity when they get here? I’m sure you hear news reports about identity theft all the time. Hmm maybe a DNA database could help in which with biometric security on it that would make it a lot tougher for hackers to get into, but I’ve heard complaints about something like that as well.

A lot of you only want to bitch and give simplistic answers that aren’t thought out in terms of how we actually solve these issues, and you bitch from the sidelines without getting in the game to play any minutes at all. Have any of you done anything other than pay taxes to better our country? How about you call your congressmen or senator or lobbying group and actually see what you can do to help rather than bitch about it on a message board.

We had a Democrat President not to long ago that said something like this..."Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country"

I ask the same question of each of you.
[right][post="104233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
your bluntness really bothers me. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/18.gif[/img] What part that I stated is not true-even go to my IMO's(you think the terrorists are going to come in here and play hide-n-seek,catch me if you can?).Past your breaking point-OMG save me.
Talk about simple:Make it a law that ALL TERRORISTS must have ID cards and make sure that each terrorist registers in our database(maybe we could have a national day for registering-good plans that'll work) [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]
"How do we do it"?OK a real plan.Can't draw you a picture but close your eyes and imagine. Minutemen showed a plan-actually go down on the border with US troops and PHYSICALLY STOP all ILLEGALS from entering.I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that,but I'm sure you'll need help----anyone? W actually wanted to put 10,000 troops on the Mexican border,but said US DOESN'T HAVE the MONEY(blows the hell out of your good economy doesn't it?).
And I have called congressman + Senators with ?(in your little mind a ? is bitching-don't ask and they won't tell and can do it right or wrong).DON'T ask questions -that's bad. Don't ask about FREE healthcare to ILLEGALS,$9 billion lost in Iraq and W says"War is hard",exporting jobs is good,--10,000 ILLEGALS /day NO PROBLEM.The list goes on and on. YOU have NOOOO answers!!!!!
Seems to me Jaime boy ,you're the 1 on the sidelines.Ask not what your country can do for you,ask.... Your country needs you in the service to fight for what they're saying.Let me guess,(1)you're too busy(2) your mom won't let you go(3) it's OK for 18-20 yr olds to die while you hold down the fort in Va.
I know that you're a big warrior(probably a cheerleader like W) that believes in a war as long as you don't have to fight it.
A famous man once said something like"You couldn't find your a$$ with both hands".I definitely agree.
Oh I hope this didn't push you over the edge ha Ha ha Ha

Guest bengalrick
jet, you didn't address my point... i have agreed w/ you about immigration since you have been bringing it up, and we are STILL in lockstep there... but that only serves part of the problem... what about the illegal immigrants that are already here, especially the ones that want to hurt us... don't you want the fbi, cia to have the best equipment, strategies, and powers to protect us?

<edit> to better explain myself, you brought up the point that why should we reenact the patriot act, when we can't secure the borders... i agree w/ that... now lets turn it around... why secure the borders, if we allow the illegals that are already here, to stay... you have to do both, to be halfway effective imo...

[quote name='bengaljet' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:00 PM']your bluntness really bothers me. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/18.gif[/img] What part that I stated is not true-even go to my IMO's(you think the terrorists are going to come in here and play hide-n-seek,catch me if you can?).Past your breaking point-OMG save me.
Talk about simple:Make it a law that ALL TERRORISTS must have ID cards and make sure that each terrorist registers in our database(maybe we could have a national day for registering-good plans that'll work) [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]
"How do we do it"?OK a real plan.Can't draw you a picture but close your eyes and imagine. Minutemen showed a plan-actually go down on the border with US troops and PHYSICALLY STOP all ILLEGALS from entering.I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that,but I'm sure you'll need help----anyone? W actually wanted to put 10,000 troops on the Mexican border,but said US DOESN'T HAVE the MONEY(blows the hell out of your good economy doesn't it?).
And I have called congressman + Senators with ?(in your little mind a ? is bitching-don't ask and they won't tell and can do it right or wrong).DON'T ask questions -that's bad. Don't ask about FREE healthcare to ILLEGALS,$9 billion lost in Iraq and W says"War is hard",exporting jobs is good,--10,000 ILLEGALS /day NO PROBLEM.The list goes on and on. YOU have NOOOO answers!!!!!
Seems to me Jaime boy ,you're the 1 on the sidelines.Ask not what your country can do for you,ask.... Your country needs you in the service to fight for what they're saying.Let me guess,(1)you're too busy(2) your mom won't let you go(3) it's OK for 18-20 yr olds to die while you hold down the fort in Va.
I know that you're a big warrior(probably a cheerleader like W) that believes in a war as long as you don't have to fight it.
A famous man once said something like"You couldn't find your a$$ with both hands".I definitely agree.
Oh I hope this didn't push you over the edge ha Ha ha Ha
[right][post="104310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So apparently the only service you can offer your country is with a gun on the battlefield? That is laughable. My entire career with the exception of a few months in the private sector has been serving my country in the service field to make things easier for the government to do its business. So don’t preach to me while you sit on your ass and make a few phone calls.

The very real issue that you miss with these minutemen is that not a one of them has been investigated, its a private sector thing and we have no idea of the backgrounds of them, who is going down? Are they a bunch of Mexican hating yahoos that just want to get their jolly's? I think the only thing that we agree on here is that the government should be in charge of the borders but that is not something that is going to change overnight, and even still people will bitch that we cant be keep spending money and run up the deficit. Give me a break, you offered no real solution just someone else's solution and didn’t think about the negatives of that solution. You are nothing more than a reactionary.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:46 PM']The terrorists have already won.  We are no longer the land of the free.

It's a damn shame.
[right][post="104326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Freedom isnt free, its protected by the very people you want to take these tools away from. And when they cant protect us then you will have no freedoms at all.

Guest bengalrick

since we are the "land of the free" why don't we NOT protect our borders and not care about any possible terrorist attacks... i mean, these people have a right to hate us and blow up our buildings and kill our woman and children... we have no right to protect ourselves b/c we're in the "land of the free" :(

<edit> imagine all the money that we could save if we just didn't have a military... :mellow:

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:14 PM']since we are the "land of the free" why don't we NOT protect our borders and not care about any possible terrorist attacks... i mean, these people have a right to hate us and blow up our buildings and kill our woman and children... we have no right to protect ourselves b/c we're in the "land of the free" :(
[right][post="104334"][/post][/right][/quote]

Come on rick, you can do better than that. Nobody said we have to NOT protect our borders. But we don't have to take away the basic rights at the heart of our constitution. They may be described as TOOLS to defeat terrorists now, but soon enough, the powers will be abused and innocent people will be caught up in crap for no reason. There are some good ideas in the Patriot Act. But there are also some very dangerous ones that give people who have already proven their irresponsible tendencies too much power.

Am I saying I don't trust our government to place enough checks on these people to assure my rights are not abused unnecessarily? Damn straight.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='Jun 17 2005, 05:22 PM']Come on rick, you can do better than that.  Nobody said we have to NOT protect our borders.  But we don't have to take away the basic rights at the heart of our constitution.  They may be described as TOOLS to defeat terrorists now, but soon enough, the powers will be abused and innocent people will be caught up in crap for no reason.  There are some good ideas in the Patriot Act. But there are also some very dangerous ones that give people who have already proven their irresponsible tendencies too much power. 

Am I saying I don't trust our government to place enough checks on these people to assure my rights are not abused unnecessarily?  Damn straight.
[right][post="104338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

And thats when we prosecute them to the full extent of the law and make examples out of them. If we don't trust our goverment to protect us who do we? Are you planning a militia up there in Canada? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:22 PM']Come on rick, you can do better than that.  Nobody said we have to NOT protect our borders.  But we don't have to take away the basic rights at the heart of our constitution.  They may be described as TOOLS to defeat terrorists now, but soon enough, the powers will be abused and innocent people will be caught up in crap for no reason.  There are some good ideas in the Patriot Act. But there are also some very dangerous ones that give people who have already proven their irresponsible tendencies too much power. 

Am I saying I don't trust our government to place enough checks on these people to assure my rights are not abused unnecessarily?  Damn straight.
[right][post="104338"][/post][/right][/quote]

i know sis... i'm just turning it around alittle... we can have to joke some, so we don't pull our hair out :)

anyway, maybe we just see things totally different in this respect... but i don't see us having freedom, w/out defending ourselves...

for instance, you mentioned in an earlier post, that you don't see the point of the "real id act" and that baffles me tbh... i don't see anything wrong w/ making EVERYONE provide enough information to get their legal licenses... it is one (little) way to keep immigration half way working... there is no reason for the terrorists that bombed our cities to have well over 20 licenses... we use those licenses for all identifications, b/c we don't have a national id card, or even pictures on our SS cards...

i don't see anything at all wrong w/ this act... we absolutely need it... i don't see the patriot act hurting anyone around me, so it's hard for me to say that it is taking away our liberties... all i see right now, is its harder to get on an airplane, and no planes ran into any buildings since 9/11... that means alot... if i personally saw liberties being taken away, or even heard a decent arguement that shows how it will hurt me or a lot of americans, i might change my views some, but i would still weigh it against homeland security...

honestly sis, do you know ANYONE or have heard from anyone close to you, that they have been falsely accused or lost any rights b/c of the patriot act?

[i]Qui desiderat pacem, preparet bellum.[/i]
Vegetius, a celebrated military writer of the 4th century wrote these words, and translated, they mean "Who desires peace should prepare for war."

[i]In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello.[/i]
This is a very similar sentiment written by Horace, the Roman poet, that translates to, "In peace, as a wise man, he should make suitable preparation for war."

[i]To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.[/i]
You may be more familiar with the author of these words... President George Washington in his first annual address to Congress.

We disagree on much, Jamie, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on being involved. Even the small efforts matter. Because I respect your views, your bluntness is appreciated. I also think your earlier remark (perhaps on a different thread) about the way government works, independent of ideology and partisanship, was wise. If there weren't institutional problems and challenges, then there wouldn't be that old cliche, "That's good enough for government work."

Your cautionary reminder, combined with the fact that the Patriot Act was passed less than two months after 9-11, without much debate or even reading by many members of Congress, caused me to unshelve an old friend, my volume of Edgar Allan Poe "Works", from which I quote, from "Fifty Suggestions":

XVI
I can see no objection to gentlemen "standing for Congress" provided they stand on one side, nor to their "running for Congress" if they are in a very great hurry to get there, but it would be a blessing if some of them could be persuaded into sitting still for Congress after they arrive.

XXXVII
"Ignorance [i]is[/i] bliss"--but, that the bliss be real, the ignorance must be so profound as not to suspect itself ignorant....

XXV
It is by no means clear as regards the present revolutionary spirit of Europe that it is a spirit which "moveth altogether if it move at all." In Great Britain it may be kept quiet for half a century yet, by placing at the head of affairs an experienced medical man. He should keep his forefinger constantly on the pulse of the patient, and prescribe [i]panem[/i] in gentle doses, with as much [i]circenses[/i] as the stomach can be made to retain.

XLV
I am beginning to think with Horsley--that "the People have nothing to do with the laws but to obey them."

Homer perhaps I'm being run down by the way the government bureaucracies do work and I’m losing faith in things because of it. I haven’t so much lost my faith in the way it can work, but when I see things everyday just in my own job that cause us to make the pace of getting our software that helps soldiers mobilize extremely slow and the reasons for it are just to feed the bureaucracies and I see this in a time of its greatest need it saddens me. This is the best project I’ve been on and I see that and think about the poorly run projects that our taxes pay for and that scares me. I don’t know if you saw the other thread I posted on about the FBI's case file system but the whole thing was a huge mess that could have been avoided if people's hubris and greed and ambition were kept in check...and that in turn imo, would have helped prevent some of the things were seeing now.

Then I see people on this board who complain about things and I think to myself in all honesty, what would you do to change it? Do you truly know how the government works and how hard it is to change some of these things? Perhaps I have a different perspective because I live here and work here that others truly can’t appreciate without getting involved on the ground level.

I just wish that people understood that freedom isn’t free, that we need to protect it in multifaceted ways. Whether that be with our military or our intelligence community. And when we don’t give the soldiers the best tools for their jobs we disservice them and make it that much harder for them. The same holds true for the intelligence community. If we don’t give these gentlemen the tools to protect us then, and I pray to God it never comes to this, we may very well be fighting this or another war not in some far away land while we watch on CNN but here amongst us and what liberties we have now, will they really be as important to us then if that does happen?

The problem with the REAL ID and the Patriot Act, is that they have some very good ideas in both. But they snuck in some very dangerous parts that they knew they could because anyone opposed to the acts would be seen as "anti American" or against defending ourselves. My problem with this is the fact that they KNOW no one really reads those things and they can slide crap in there. Just like Real ID slid in on some totally other bill. Why not make something that important it's own damn thing and let it be discussed. If it's so good, why not make it totally transparent and push it through on it's own merits?

And rick and Jamie, I don't think many if anyone has really been affected by these acts yet in normal society because it's too early. Some parts haven't even been set up yet so they aren't going to be effective yet. I don't like this "war on terror" with it's stupid never ending deadline and acting like we are in war time. We are not. The world is full of evil people like it always has been.

We need to work on ways to secure the borders, do better checks of people coming across, keeping track of illegal workers, disturbing patterns of jobs/schooling of people on visas, etc. All of those things could have been done before, but no one took it seriously. We had lots of warning signs before and they were ignored. I truly believe with even our best efforts and giving up many freedoms, that a terrorist group can strike us anyway. I don't want to live in a police state just so that I MIGHT not get attacked in 5 years or 15 years, or 20 years. There are no guarantees.

After doing some research on this act, Ive found that the American Government has stomped all over our bill of rights, and then compounded the issue by expanding it. This bill enrages me to no end. Our rights are shrinking by the day. I dunno, I just think this country is not what our fore fathers invisioned when they created it....

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Jun 18 2005, 02:31 AM']After doing some research on this act, Ive found that the American Government has stomped all over our bill of rights, and then compounded the issue by expanding it. This bill enrages me to no end. Our rights are shrinking by the day. I dunno, [b]I just think this country is not what our fore fathers invisioned when they created it....[/b]
[right][post="104490"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree. Their words are wisdom, but they had no way of seeing the computer thing coming...

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]After doing some research on this act, Ive found that the American Government has stomped all over our bill of rights, and then compounded the issue by expanding it. This bill enrages me to no end. Our rights are shrinking by the day. I dunno, I just think this country is not what our fore fathers invisioned when they created it....[/quote]

[i][b]
Although I find some of their writing revolutionary for it's time, I still don't build the pedastal for Americas founders too tall, the hypocrosy in founding a document claiming rights for all men and being essentially liberation guerrillas (similar to the ones we despise now) while ignoring the fact that women had no rights, blacks were owned as property, and Indians were being exterminated, makes me skeptical about some of their "wisdom". However I really enjoy some of the early writings by the transcendentalists, abolitionsists, and Quaker activists who understood "rights" and at the time were seen as "idealistic unpatriotic, naive, enemy sympathizers..... Sounds familiar [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img] )[/b][/i]

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jun 18 2005, 07:46 AM'][i][b]
However I really enjoy some of the early writings by the transcendentalists, abolitionsists, and Quaker activists who understood "rights" [B]and at the time were seen as "idealistic unpatriotic, naive, enemy sympathizers..... Sounds familiar  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img] )[/b][/i]
[right][post="104505"][/post][/right][/quote]

Well I guess you and Michael Moore will be fucking heroes then
won`t ya ? :P

Just kidding :blush: ...kinda :ninja:

Archived