I know this is very hypothetical, but since we play the titans today I figured it was kind of relevant...

If CJ got cut, would you pay the man? He's only 26...I just imagine an offense with Dalton, CJ2K, Green, Gresh, Simpson. We have the money to sign him from all the savings we have from getting rid of CP. Then you can use the first round draft picks to make the D even better, and then a 2nd rounder for an olineman. This team would be stacked!

Or do you think CJ is done? He has looked bad this year, but is it just a funk or was he a fluke?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/06/teams-wonder-whether-chris-johnson-will-be-a-free-agent/

[quote]
[b] Teams wonder whether Chris Johnson will be a free agent[/b]
[color=#666666][size=1]
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2011, 8:46 AM EST[/size][/color]

[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/chrisjohnsongetty1-e1320587084616.jpg?w=242[/img][color=#999999][i][right]Getty Images[/right][/i][/color][font=Georgia,]
As teams prepare their list of potential free agents in 2012, there’s a fairly big name that some currently are putting in the “maybe” category.[/font]
[font=Georgia,]
Per a league source, several teams believe that the Titans could release running back Chris Johnson before the fifth day of the 2012 league year, at which time [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/the-full-chris-johnson-contract-breakdown/"]his base salary of $8 million becomes fully guaranteed[/url].[/font]
[font=Georgia,]
Johnson’s $8 million compensation for next year is guaranteed for injury only. At the time he signed the new deal, it was assumed that he’d eventually get the money. Now, there’s growing speculation that the Titans won’t allow the salary to become guaranteed unless his on-field play improves significantly.[/font]
[font=Georgia,]
Actually, there’s a good chance that the number will be $7.7 million, since under the contract Johnson’s salary will drop by $300,000 if he doesn’t rush for 1,000 yards in 2011. Through seven games, he’s on pace for 690 yards.[/font]
[font=Georgia,]
Another $9 million of Johnson’s guaranteed money is guaranteed only for injury now, and won’t become fully guaranteed until the fifth day of the 2013 league year. As a result, the Titans can avoid a full $17 million of Johnson’s $30 million in guaranteed money if they cut him before March 2012.[/font]

So if Johnson doesn’t step it up, he could be stepping out of Nashville.[/quote]

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320593807' post='1056353']
I know this is very hypothetical, but since we play the titans today I figured it was kind of relevant...

If CJ got cut, would you pay the man? He's only 26...I just imagine an offense with Dalton, CJ2K, Green, Gresh, Simpson. We have the money to sign him from all the savings we have from getting rid of CP. Then you can use the first round draft picks to make the D even better, and then a 2nd rounder for an olineman. This team would be stacked!

Or do you think CJ is done? He has looked bad this year, but is it just a funk or was he a fluke?

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/06/teams-wonder-whether-chris-johnson-will-be-a-free-agent/"]http://profootballta...e-a-free-agent/[/url]
[/quote]

If he's cut, it will be because he sucks. Why sign a RB that sucks?

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1320594926' post='1056361']
He's pissed he didn't get a new contract. Not in shape, no effort, etc. Doesn't seem to fit the all for one, one for all mentality.
[/quote]

well he did get the contract.

I agree though, he doesn't seem to fit the personality of the team, which is a big thing for Marvin.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320594989' post='1056362']

well he did get the contract.

I agree though, he doesn't seem to fit the personality of the team, which is a big thing for Marvin.
[/quote]

Does Ced though really? Give the guy a good size contract and maybe he wouldnt be a problem.

I dont know one way or the other, just thought id through it out there. I think we are a gamebreaking RB combined with the growth of AD, AJ, etc from being a damn good offense. (oh and prob a little help with the oline).

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320595168' post='1056364'] Really? Do you honestly mean that or was it sarcasm?[/quote]

I meant it. Why wouldn't the Titans keep him if he's just out of shape? Or hurt. The contract has a bunch of guaranteed money in it that they
won't get back.

The Titans aren't crazy, They have money invested in him. If they let him go after that, it will mean he is done. How did Shaun Alexander do after the Seahawks let him go?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320595405' post='1056367']

I meant it. Why wouldn't the Titans keep him if he's just out of shape? Or hurt. [b]The contract has a bunch of guaranteed money in it that they[/b]
[b]won't get back.[/b]

The Titans aren't crazy, They have money invested in him. If they let him go after that, it will mean he is done. How did Shaun Alexander do after the Seahawks let him go?
[/quote]

Read the article, they save like 17 million if they cut him that would be guaranteed still.

We go through this every year, just because a player is cut doesnt mean he is done. Do you want me to get the list of tons of players that were cut by one team, only to play well with another?

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320595591' post='1056369']

Read the article, they save like 17 million if they cut him that would be guaranteed still.

We go through this every year, just because a player is cut doesnt mean he is done. Do you want me to get the list of tons of players that were cut by one team, only to play well with another?
[/quote]

How many of them were paid 50 million dollars the year before?

Teams don't give up on someone they paid big bucks too that fast. Ask Jamarcus Russell.

I'd rather get a guy like Bush or Forte if they become available, but would love to see them take a flyer on CJ if he hits the market.

This team needs a consistent run game. An effective gamebreaker makes things for a QB much easier. That's why I clamor over Trent Richadrson. If not him, Matt Forte would be perfect for this offense. It's easily one of our top priorities. Add a new right guard, and this offense becomes top 12 at least.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320595749' post='1056371']

How many of them were paid 50 million dollars the year before?

Teams don't give up on someone they paid big bucks too that fast. Ask Jamarcus Russell.
[/quote]

They would have only paid him 13 million bucks or something. The 50 number is just that, a number. Doesnt mean anything besides something that his agent can tell other players that he got a 50 mil contract for one of his clients.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1320595864' post='1056372']
I'd rather get a guy like Bush or Forte if they become available, but would love to see them take a flyer on CJ if he hits the market.

This team needs a consistent run game. An effective gamebreaker makes things for a QB much easier. That's why I clamor over Trent Richadrson. If not him, Matt Forte would be perfect for this offense. It's easily one of our top priorities. Add a new right guard, and this offense becomes top 12 at least.
[/quote]

I think Chicago said they would franchise Forte if they cant sign him. Also I dont see the love for Michael Bush, but maybe I dont watch him enough.

Trent Richardson is someone I could get on board with though.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320596073' post='1056375']

I think Chicago said they would franchise Forte if they cant sign him. Also I dont see the love for Michael Bush, but maybe I dont watch him enough.

[/quote]
I like Bush from the grinder standpoint. 245 pounds and catches the ball well. Plays well when DMac is hurt too. A 3 down back with not a ton of mileage. Goal line back for Oakland too.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320596009' post='1056374']

They would have only paid him 13 million bucks or something. The 50 number is just that, a number. Doesnt mean anything besides something that his agent can tell other players that he got a 50 mil contract for one of his clients.
[/quote]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1320595864' post='1056372']

[/quote]

Well this year CJ's run game is pretty consistent. Bad all the time.

If you are going to bust the bank on a FA, at least pick one like Forte that is playing well. Or even Hillis, who is at least hurt. But I just doubt that the Titans will cut him loose.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320596073' post='1056375']

[/quote]

I agree. No chance we'll get Forte and Bush really hasn't seen a whole lot of starts so we don't know what we'd be getting with him, although he does usually play pretty well when spelling in for DMC.

After seeing Richardson in open field last night, WE HAVE TO GET HIM. LSU was stacking the box so he really didn't get a whole lot of opportunities up the middle, so Alabama decided to give him a little dumpoff that ended up going for like 40 yards. He is great in pass protection also. I just hope he falls to us....maybe Oakland will lose out the rest of the year :whistle:

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320596386' post='1056378']

Well this year CJ's run game is pretty consistent. Bad all the time.

If you are going to bust the bank on a FA, at least pick one like Forte that is playing well. Or even Hillis, who is at least hurt. But I just doubt that the Titans will cut him loose.
[/quote]

Buy low and sell high.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1320596446' post='1056379']

I agree. No chance we'll get Forte and Bush really hasn't seen a whole lot of starts so we don't know what we'd be getting with him, although he does usually play pretty well when spelling in for DMC.

After seeing Richardson in open field last night, WE HAVE TO GET HIM. LSU was stacking the box so he really didn't get a whole lot of opportunities up the middle, so Alabama decided to give him a little dumpoff that ended up going for like 40 yards. He is great in pass protection also. I just hope he falls to us....maybe Oakland will lose out the rest of the year :whistle:
[/quote]

Cincinnati triplets!

[img]http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/files/2011/09/bengals-andy-dalton.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/AJ_Green_Bengals_SSp8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.nationalchamps.net/2011/sub/photos/alabama_trent_richardson.jpg[/img]

Btw, look at his arm in that pic.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320596798' post='1056385']

That's what the [i][b]Titans [/b][/i]will do. There's no need to give him away for nothing.
[/quote]

I dont think they will cut him either, thats why i said hypothetically in the first post.

With that being said, if they did cut him it doesnt mean he sucks. It could just mean they want to save 17 mil for other spots, they dont like his attitude, he doesnt fit their team anymore...several different possibilities.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320596977' post='1056386']

I dont think they will cut him either, thats why i said hypothetically in the first post.

With that being said, if they did cut him it doesnt mean he sucks. It could just mean they want to save 17 mil for other spots, they dont like his attitude, he doesnt fit their team anymore...several different possibilities.
[/quote]

Ok, it either means he sucks or the Titans are insane. They liked all those other things just fine in the offseason when they paid him. What was that, three months ago now?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320597170' post='1056388']

Ok, it either means he sucks or the Titans are insane. They liked all those other things just fine in the offseason when they paid him. What was that, three months ago now?
[/quote]

Or it means he had a bad year and they dont want to take the risk that he will keep doing that he will have another bad year next year, year after etc.

But if you take the risk on the guy, it doesnt mean he is going to suck. Some teams might be willing to take the risk, some might not. If the titans arent willing, it doesnt mean the guy sucks.

Archived