Hypothetical: If we DID change HCs...

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1326035617' post='1087086']

Isnt that all unsubstantiated? I think we all assume that its the case but nobody really knows for sure right.
[/quote]

1) we're in a thread talking about hypotheticals.

2) I feel pretty safe about some of those. Gruden was a marvin hire. Mike Brown wanted Mallett over Dalton. Lawson and Howard came here because they liked Marvin.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1326038166' post='1087102']

2) I feel pretty safe about some of those. Gruden was a marvin hire. Mike Brown wanted Mallett over Dalton. Lawson and Howard came here because they liked Marvin.
[/quote]

Since we are speaking in hypotheticals, what if Warren Sapp had really signed with the Bengals instead of screwing them over? Then other free agents would have followed him to Cincinnati and the Bengals would have won 2 Super Bowls by now.

I just dont understand all the "Marvin for GM" man-love around here. Every coach in the NFL has input on player personnel. Certainly some more than others. But to think that Marvin as not had any jinput ust don't fly.

The Bengals are on at least their 3rd generation of players since Marvin has been here. In fact ithere is only a handful of players on the roster today since 2006.

The only constant from 2003 is Mike and Marvin.

Even if Marvin got to only choose 2 players each year, he has had plenty of time to be consistently top 5 in the running game, defense or something major.

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1326040281' post='1087120']I just dont understand all the "Marvin for GM" man-love around here. Every coach in the NFL has input on player personnel. Certainly some more than others. But to think that Marvin as not had any jinput ust don't fly.

The Bengals are on at least their 3rd generation of players since Marvin has been here. In fact ithere is only a handful of players on the roster today since 2006.

The only constant from 2003 is Mike and Marvin.

Even if Marvin got to only choose 2 players each year, he has had plenty of time to be consistently top 5 in the running game, defense or something major.[/quote]

The constant from 2003 is brown and Marvin the hc.

Marvin as gm and a hc who may have a little more game insight could be the difference we need.

I have said this years ago and i still believe we are similar to the Bucs in '01 they had Tony Dungy who obviously was and endup being a great coach, but it took getting a new coach to bring a change of atmosphere to make the super bowl. I think Marvin would be successful elsewhere and the bengals could be successful with the right coach coming in

[/quote]

I want to believe it to but as Bengals fans we tend to give Marvin the credit for everything good and Brown the credit for everything bad.

The Gruden hire and the Mallett decision are just rumors that Marvin said he wanted them. Situations like that you will never have the GM or HC come out and say we want that guy etc.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1326037867' post='1087101']
When you lose your qb and top 2 wr in an offseason it makes those positions higher priority then oline. If you had those positions figured out going into 2011 you could have likely fixed the oline and s in the 2012 draft. Now that we have those positions figured out it is definitely time to address the oline an secondary.
[/quote]

Our Oline problems went back to when their futility led to Palmer's IR and Fitz coming in. And with the mobile Fitzpatrick, the offense only became serviceable when they went to a 3 step drop WC style offense to hide the OL weakness. Yet, in 2010, they waited till the 5th round to take the certain future probowler :ninja: Otis Hudson. But my point was not this but that we do not know whose influence was greatest in making many of these decisions. All we do know is that Marvin Lewis is not a very good ingame coach and is not the best at preparing for big games. Remember his lame duck end to 2010?

[/quote]

How do you know Gruden was 'hired' by Marvin? Doesn't the Brown family do the hiring? Mallett may be better than Dalton, and in the 3rd round. We don't know if Mallet is not the better QB. When he has played, he's been unstoppable. Not to say he is either. 1181, do you think Howard would not have come to Cincinnati if someone else were the coach? Lawson is the exception here as Marvin and Lawson have kept close touch since then. "Familiarity" is of prime importance to players coming into a potentially new system and an interview and talking with a team. Feeling comfortable with their staff/players goes a long way to landing a FA if the money is pretty much the same. This is what players themselves say.

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1326040281' post='1087120']
I just dont understand all the "Marvin for GM" man-love around here. Every coach in the NFL has input on player personnel. Certainly some more than others. But to think that Marvin as not had any jinput ust don't fly.
[/quote]

Well, he's not a good HC, in my opinion, so if we're going to find a role to accentuate his strengths, its as GM/co-GM. I hear players talking like they're all 'happy to have made the playoffs' satisfaction and can't help but think that attitude permeates from the HC. Acceptance of mediocrity. Say what Matt Stafford said: This was a learning experience hopefully and we can come back and be better.

We have 2 head coaching candidates, no GM and a head coach who is not great at being a head coach but a guy who is great at assembling teams. I have said for years that Marvin should be the GM and they should let someone else coach. The environment is perfect for that situation right now. Now that would mean that Marvn would be ok not coaching which is certainly no guarantee. And its a pipe dream to think that the Bengals would ever do it. I just think it makes perfect sense.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1326046634' post='1087166']
We have 2 head coaching candidates, no GM and a head coach who is not great at being a head coach but a guy who is great at assembling teams. I have said for years that Marvin should be the GM and they should let someone else coach. The environment is perfect for that situation right now. Now that would mean that Marvn would be ok not coaching which is certainly no guarantee. And its a pipe dream to think that the Bengals would ever do it. I just think it makes perfect sense.
[/quote]

I have always said that we need a former OC as head coach. But Gruden is not seasoned enough for that. Why not ask Jon Gruden to come in as HC to team with his brother and bring back the old Tampa glory year?

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1326037867' post='1087101']
When you lose your qb and top 2 wr in an offseason it makes those positions higher priority then oline. If you had those positions figured out going into 2011 you could have likely fixed the oline and s in the 2012 draft. Now that we have those positions figured out it is definitely time to address the oline an secondary.
[/quote]

Also, they picked Dontay Moch in the 3rd with the plethora of DE's we have. Maybe he turns out to be the MLB we have always wanted but with a crappy Oline, why take an undersized DE when OG John Moffitt was sitting there and went a couple of picks later?

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1326047796' post='1087183']

Also, they picked Dontay Moch in the 3rd with the plethora of DE's we have. Maybe he turns out to be the MLB we have always wanted but with a crappy Oline, why take an undersized DE when OG John Moffitt was sitting there and went a couple of picks later?[/quote]

I don't think moch has the size for MLB.

Howard-muck-moch wouldn't be bad if we don't retain Rey after next year and if we get Howard locked up

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1326050678' post='1087221']
I don't think moch has the size for MLB.
[/quote]

What is your idea on the proper size for a MLB. He's like 6'2" 245 and he's fast and pursues relentlessly. What's not to like? OLB is a consideration also.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1326046494' post='1087163']

I want to believe it to but as Bengals fans we tend to give Marvin the credit for everything good and Brown the credit for everything bad.

The Gruden hire and the Mallett decision are just rumors that Marvin said he wanted them. Situations like that you will never have the GM or HC come out and say we want that guy etc.
[/quote]

I think you over look the situations. It's not a secret that Marvin led the OC search, and it was him that was at the Senior Bowl talking to other coaches and scouts about Gruden. The Mallett thing I've heard from enough people to trust that its true. Further, it was Marvin and Katie who pressured Mike to cut loose Brat.

Archived