My Mock Draft - Show me your mock!!!

Here it is.....

1. [u][b]Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina[/b][/u] - Gilmore is an elite athlete who needs a little bit of refining on his technique but thankfully we have good coaches who can get him up to speed quickly. Losing JJ was a huge blow to the defense, especially after Hall went down with a season ending injury. We replace JJ with the best South Carolina cb prospect since Joseph. Gilmore can learn from seasoned vets like Clements, Hall, and Newman and will be the starter in a year or two.

1. [u][b]Doug Martin RB Boise State[/b][/u] - Martin is the 2nd best back in the draft, behind Trent Richardson. He's a complete back who can do it all and is a great value pick at #21. Martin will be our version of Ray Rice, a guy who can put the offense on his back and help the team win games. I like the idea of Martin, 5'9" 215 lbs, running behind our massive oline. He can get low to the ground and make it incredibility hard for defenders to get a good shot at him.

2. [b][u]Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina[/u][/b] - Jeffery is a beast of a playmaker, putting up huge numbers at for the Gamecocks. Jeffery is an ideal #2 WR for this offense, teaming him with AJ Green gives Dalton the best young wr combo in the game and opposing defenses nightmares. There are some concerns about Jeffery's work ethic and explosion but sliding to the second will be all the motivation he needs to perform at a high level.

3. [u][b]Jeff Allen OT/OG Illinois[/b][/u] - Allen will add depth at tackle and can compete for either of OG positions. Allen played LT for the Fighting Illini but is better suited to play OG in the NFL. He's a solid player who can do it all, he's a guy who won't wow you but he doesn't make alot of mistakes. Great value pick.

4. [b][u]Mike Martin DT Michigan[/u][/b] - Martin is a Geno Atkins clone, a short but stout guy who excels at collasping the pocket and putting pressue on the qb. He's a high motor guy who would fit in well in the defensive rotation that the Bengals employ, teaming him with Atkins on passing downs will give opposing qb's a long day at the office.

5. [b][u]Travis Lewis MLB Oklahoma[/u][/b] - Lewis will fall in the draft due to a poor workout and numerous injuries he suffered in the past year, but he's a football player, and a damn good one at that. Lewis is a natural born leader who can start out on special teams and possiblily play in the middle if/when Maluaga gets suspended for being a jackass.

5. [b][u]Nigel Bradham OLB[/u][/b] -Bradham is a punishing tackler who can play sideline to sideline. Bradham struggles with the mental part of the game, he come in and play special teams while he learns the defense. In a few years he could compete for a starting spot.

5. [b][u]Joe Adams WR Arkansas[/u][/b] - Adams is the best special teams player in the draft, his lightening quick feet and sudden moves make him a top notch punt returner. Adams struggles getting off the line and catching the ball on a consistent basis but he can assume the punt return duties from day 1 and make an impact on special teams.

6. [b][u]George Bryan TE NCSU[/u][/b] - Bryan is a good blocking TE who catch the ball as well. He's not going to get much after the catch or make anyone miss but he can come in and be a good blocking TE in certain packages.

There you have it...THE BEST MOCK EVER!!!!111!

I could certainly live with that, but don't know that Martin/Jeffery/Adams are slotted right. Doug Martin too high, the others too low. Also don't have room for 2 WR's on the team, though I like both. Two LB's is also much. 1 might be much, but more plausible with Rivers gone.

Really like the Allen pick.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334255170' post='1117940']
I could certainly live with that, but don't know that Martin/Jeffery/Adams are slotted right. Doug Martin too high, the others too low. Also don't have room for 2 WR's on the team, though I like both. Two LB's is also much. 1 might be much, but more plausible with Rivers gone.

Really like the Allen pick.
[/quote]

The reason why I picked two wr's is we lost 2 wr's in Caldwell and Simpson, so why not replace them with younger guys. We know how Marvin loves his LB's so why not stockplie them, plus it covers them if Rey leaves via FA next offseason.

I realize Martin maybe a reach at 21 but he fills a need and is a quality player so why not pull the trigger. If he works out, which I think he will, then it won't matter.

NFL.com has a cool lil thingamagig that you can use to predict the first round of the draft and the person who gets it right wins a trip to the SuperBowl.

Check it out...[url="http://predictpick.nfl.com/?icampaign=Predict_Draft-Nav_signup"]http://predictpick.nfl.com/?icampaign=Predict_Draft-Nav_signup[/url]

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1334257051' post='1117952']

The reason why I picked two wr's is we lost 2 wr's in Caldwell and Simpson,[b] so why not replace them with younger guys.[/b] We know how Marvin loves his LB's so why not stockplie them, plus it covers them if Rey leaves via FA next offseason.

I realize Martin maybe a reach at 21 but he fills a need and is a quality player so why not pull the trigger. If he works out, which I think he will, then it won't matter.
[/quote]

they kind of have. Right now you have:

Green
Shipley
Hawkins
Tate
Whalen
Binns
Hazelton

I think they're fine to only add one draft pick to that, as well an undrafted guy or two. You may even see Simpson back post draft.

Jeffery would be a great add there, I just think Adams is a little overkill, particularly with slot capable guys already around in shipley, hawkins and whalen.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1334244493' post='1117909']
1. [u][b]Doug Martin RB Boise State[/b][/u] - Martin is the 2nd best back in the draft, behind Trent Richardson. He's a complete back who can do it all and is a great value pick at #21. Martin will be our version of Ray Rice, a guy who can put the offense on his back and help the team win games. I like the idea of Martin, 5'9" 215 lbs, running behind our massive oline. He can get low to the ground and make it incredibility hard for defenders to get a good shot at him.

[/quote]

but you don't have a massive OL line for him to run behind. i like your draft other than that.

regarding jeff allen, and i quote....

He looks the part with average lateral agility, but has disappointing functional strength with very little push in the run game and poor hand use -- looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619955/jeff-allen

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-Illinois-OT-Jeff-Allen.html

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1334271653' post='1118029']

but you don't have a massive OL line for him to run behind. i like your draft other than that.

regarding jeff allen, and i quote....

He looks the part with average lateral agility, but has disappointing functional strength with very little push in the run game and poor hand use -- looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619955/jeff-allen"]http://www.cbssports...9955/jeff-allen[/url]

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-Illinois-OT-Jeff-Allen.html"]http://www.nationalf...Jeff-Allen.html[/url]
[/quote]

The Bengals had the heaviest oline in the NFL last year, they avg 325.8 pounds per lineman. [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190865/index.htm"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190865/index.htm[/url]

The only other team in college or pro football with a heavier oline was the UGA Bulldogs, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we took Cordy Glenn. I know we lost Livings who was about 330 lbs and replaced them with two guys who are in the 305-310 lbs range but still we are beefy up front when compared to the other teams in the NFL.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334257874' post='1117957']

they kind of have. Right now you have:

Green
Shipley
Hawkins
Tate
Whalen
Binns
Hazelton

I think they're fine to only add one draft pick to that, as well an undrafted guy or two. You may even see Simpson back post draft.

Jeffery would be a great add there, I just think Adams is a little overkill, particularly with slot capable guys already around in shipley, hawkins and whalen.
[/quote]

I just added Adams for special teams because once you get into the later rounds you're drafting guys who can come in contribute on special teams right away moreso than anything else and Adams is the best special teams player in the draft.

Also not sold on Whalen or Hazelton making the final 53, why not add some competition, as iron sharpens irons or whatever the hell that saying is.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1334324284' post='1118133']

I just added Adams for special teams because once you get into the later rounds you're drafting guys who can come in contribute on special teams right away moreso than anything else and Adams is the best special teams player in the draft.

[b]Also not sold on Whalen or Hazelton making the final 53, why not add some competition, as iron sharpens irons or whatever the hell that saying is.[/b]
[/quote]

oh I agree, but I think they are the competition, along with maybe some undrafted guys. I just think you could probably use the pick elsewhere, though I don't think its unrealistic. And if they do, not on a slot guy where they already have 3 guys.

In your scenario you'd think green, jeffery, shipley, and hawkins are locks. Maybe binns too the way they talk about him.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1334322857' post='1118125']

The Bengals had the heaviest oline in the NFL last year, they avg 325.8 pounds per lineman. [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190865/index.htm"]http://sportsillustr...90865/index.htm[/url]

The only other team in college or pro football with a heavier oline was the UGA Bulldogs, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we took Cordy Glenn. I know we lost Livings who was about 330 lbs and replaced them with two guys who are in the 305-310 lbs range but still we are beefy up front when compared to the other teams in the NFL.
[/quote]

well, that's what i mean. we lost both livings and williams. both those guys eat a lot of pork chops and move that average into that upper range. that's changed now. if cordy glenn was in your mock, my reaction wouldn't have been the same. but there's a lot of difference between cordy glenn and jeff allen, both in size and in talent. the way we're constructed as we speak, i think this team will have a very hard time running the ball. that concern is what i'm speaking to. it doesn't matter if you spend money in free agency on a new running back, and it doesn't matter if you get the shiny new running back in the draft. if you can't block up front, your running game will go nowhere. that's why i think we ought to have tunnel vision with that #17 pick. we desperately need to get that problem behind us with someone that's a starting quality player this year.... job 1.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1334347706' post='1118262']

well, that's what i mean. we lost both livings and williams. both those guys eat a lot of pork chops and move that average into that upper range. that's changed now. if cordy glenn was in your mock, my reaction wouldn't have been the same. but there's a lot of difference between cordy glenn and jeff allen, both in size and in talent. the way we're constructed as we speak, i think this team will have a very hard time running the ball. that concern is what i'm speaking to. it doesn't matter if you spend money in free agency on a new running back, and it doesn't matter if you get the shiny new running back in the draft. if you can't block up front, your running game will go nowhere. that's why i think we ought to have tunnel vision with that #17 pick. we desperately need to get that problem behind us with someone that's a starting quality player this year.... job 1.
[/quote]

Those are some good points, I'm going revise the BEST MOCK EVER.

1. Kendall Wright WR Baylor
1. Cordy Glenn OG UGA
2. Brandon Boykin CB UGA
3. Mike Martin DT Michigan
4. Terrance Gannaway RB Baylor
5. Travis Lewis LB Oklahoma
5. Nigel Bradham LB FSU
5. Devier Posey WR OSU
6. Brian Peters S Northwestern

Archived