Mexico Issues stamp of Black Stereotyped Character

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/americas/06/29/mexico.stamp.ap/story.stamp3.ap.jpg[/img][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/americas/06/29/mexico.stamp.ap/story.stamp2.ap.jpg[/img][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/americas/06/29/mexico.stamp.ap/story.stamp1.ap.jpg[/img]
[i]Black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin appeared on the series of five Mexican postal stamps. [/i]

[u][color="red"]Mexican[/color] [color="green"]stamp[/color] called offensive to blacks
Wednesday, June 29, 2005
CNN
[/u]

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- The Mexican government has issued a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.

The series of five stamps released for general use Wednesday depicts a child character from a comic book started in the 1940s that is still published in Mexico.

The boy, hapless but lovable, is drawn with exaggerated features, thick lips and wide-open eyes. His appearance, speech and mannerisms are the subject of kidding by white characters in the comic book.

Activists said the stamp was offensive, though officials denied it.

"One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds," said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico's small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

"But we've learned to expect anything from this government, just anything," Penalosa said. In May, Fox riled many by saying that Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want.

Fox expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

Carlos Caballero, assistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.

"This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture," Caballero said. "His mischievous nature is part of that character."

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

"At this point in time, it was probably pretty insensitive" to issue the stamp, said Elisa Velazquez, an anthropologist who studies Mexico's black communities for the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

"This character is a classic, but it's from another era," Velazquez said. "It's a stereotype and you don't want to encourage ignorance or prejudices."

The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps -- depicting the character in five poses -- was issued with the domestic market in mind, but Caballero noted it could be used in international postage as well.

A total of 750,000 of the stamps will be issued.

Ben Vinson, a black professor of Latin American history at Penn State University, said he has been called "Memin Pinguin" by some people in Mexico. He also noted that the character's mother is drawn to look like an old version of the U.S. advertising character Aunt Jemima.

The stamps are part of a series that pays tribute to Mexican comic books. Memin Pinguin, the second in the series, was apparently chosen for this year's release because it is the 50th anniversary of the company that publishes the comic.

Publisher Manelick De la Parra told the government news agency Notimex that the character would be sort of a goodwill ambassador on Mexican letters and postcards. "It seems nice if Memin can travel all over the world, spreading good news," de la Parra said, calling him "so charming, so affectionate, so wonderful, generous and friendly." :blink:

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]I find it fucking disgusting that they would try and paint this is part of the heritage.... Hey sure it is part of the heritage (the heritage of bigotry) They make the kid look like a monkey to be honest and I can't believe that they don't see how this is offensive.... what is next months stamp the crooked nosed Jew?

Vicente Fox is a fucking adorable cuddly wuddly teddy bear..... [/b][/i]

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Jul 1 2005, 07:42 AM']everyone is so god damned touchy today, it's fucking ridiculous...
[right][post="109262"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're a complete fucking adorable cuddly wuddly teddy bear. Just shut up.

Guest steggyD
Is it wrong to stereotype a group of people and put some kind of picture down that may point towards that stereotype? Please answer this BlackJesus.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Jul 1 2005, 07:42 AM']everyone is so god damned touchy today, it's fucking ridiculous...
[right][post="109262"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

agreed, its just something for people to bitch about... and no BAB im not a black guy.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='Jul 1 2005, 01:20 PM']agreed, its just something for people to bitch about... and no BAB im not a black guy.
[right][post="109413"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I know you aren't. That explains your idiotic comment.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jul 1 2005, 01:21 PM']I know you aren't. That explains your idiotic comment.
[right][post="109414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

you taking offense to a cartoon image of a brown monkey (which last time i checked they have always been brown) on a fucking stamp is the only thing idiotic about this thread.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='Jul 1 2005, 01:24 PM']you taking offense to a cartoon image of a brown monkey (which last time i checked they have always been brown) on a fucking stamp is the only thing idiotic about this thread.
[right][post="109419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
It is not a monkey....it is a black kid. I think you have proved their point.

Guest oldschooler

What do you expect from a Nation that
has Speed limit signs like this ?

[img]http://www.youfunny.com/images/fp-547a.jpg[/img]

And taxis like these ?

[img]http://ladadadada.kruel.org/funnies/images/driving/insane_car_mods/mexican_taxi.jpg[/img]

:rolleyes:

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='Jul 1 2005, 01:24 PM']you taking offense to a cartoon image of a brown monkey (which last time i checked they have always been brown) on a fucking stamp is the only thing idiotic about this thread.
[right][post="109419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're such a goddamned retard that it's unbelievable. Did you even BEGIN to read the article? Do you even KNOW how to read? Just shut the fuck up.

Guest steggyD
[quote name='steggyD' date='Jul 1 2005, 01:49 PM']Is it wrong to stereotype a group of people and put some kind of picture down that may point towards that stereotype? Please answer this BlackJesus.
[right][post="109382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I guess I cannot get a response.

Guest CTBengalsFan
[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jul 1 2005, 07:43 AM']You're a complete fucking adorable cuddly wuddly teddy bear. Just shut up.
[right][post="109263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i'm completely adorable? thanks.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]Is it wrong to stereotype a group of people and put some kind of picture down that may point towards that stereotype? Please answer this BlackJesus.[/quote]

[i][b]Only if they aren't Christians [/b][/i] ;)

Guest steggyD
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=6511"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=6511[/url]

I direct your attention to post #11. Now there was an entire thread, by you, of pictures and insults directed at the state of Kentucky and its residents. I suppose it's OK to stereotype people from Kentucky, but not descendants of Africa.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]I direct your attention to post #11. Now there was an entire thread, by you, of pictures and insults directed at the state of Kentucky and its residents. I suppose it's OK to stereotype people from Kentucky, but not descendants of Africa.[/quote]

[i][b]Similar to how a black person can say the "N" Word.... Since my Mothers family is from Kentucky I reserve the right to rebuke their backwardness ;) [/b][/i]

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]There are black people in my family. Can I stereotype them and make fun of them all I like?[/quote]

[i][b]GO right ahead.... I just hope you have the street cred to not get knocked out [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img] [/b][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 1 2005, 08:22 PM'][i][b]Similar to how a black person can say the "N" Word.... Since my Mothers family is from Kentucky I reserve the right to rebuke their backwardness  ;) [/b][/i]
[right][post="109658"][/post][/right][/quote]
BJ isn't exactly the president of the U.S. (no matter how much some of you might want him to be), nor is he proposing that those images be on the state flag.

BTW let me catch one of you guys calling me a spic :1018: :sterb041:

jk.....

but seriously, don't call me a spic [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//47.gif[/img]

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='steggyD' date='Jul 1 2005, 08:37 PM']There are black people in my family. Can I stereotype them and make fun of them all I like?
[right][post="109666"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

There's a difference between talkin shit about a whole race of people and all the people who live in Kentucky. People of all races live in Kentucky. Your whole argument is bullshit.

Guest steggyD
He doesn't need to be the president of the US. And the president of Mexico didn't invent those stamps nor the comic book. They are out there for the public to see, and so are the comments and pictures by BlackJesus. Maybe not the same amount of people, but what the hell? I suppose the argument against the stamps is that it stereotypes and insults black people. Same with BJ's thread. Now I was told that I am intelligent and educated enough that I should ignore his comments. Now let me guess, black people aren't educated and proud enough to ignore these stamps? We should just label them victims and feel sorry for them now. Bullshit. And I claim bullshit on BJ's hypocrisy.

Yes, I know the same number of people that see BJ's threads are not the same number of people that will see those stamps, but it is still out there for the public to see.

Guest steggyD
[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jul 1 2005, 09:45 PM']There's a difference between talkin shit about a whole race of people and all the people who live in Kentucky. People of all races live in Kentucky. Your whole argument is bullshit.
[right][post="109671"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
There's no difference. Some scientists might even say that there is no race of people, they are merely defined by the area they life in and how the elements have caused them to appear the way they do after years of evolution. So they are from a particular part of the world, much as the people who live in Kentucky. Also, I suppose you are saying that I cannot be proud that I am from Kentucky and ask for others not to insult that fact, just because I'm not black. Sorry, sir, but your argument holds no water.

[quote name='jza10304' date='Jul 1 2005, 09:40 PM']BJ isn't exactly the president of the U.S. (no matter how much some of you might want him to be), nor is he proposing that those images be on the state flag.

BTW let me catch one of you guys calling me a spic  :1018:   :sterb041:
jk.....
but seriously, don't call me a spic  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//47.gif[/img]
[right][post="109670"][/post][/right][/quote]

That's because your Cuban not Mexican....you wetback you. :P

(please take that as a joke)

Archived