Post Senior Bowl 1st Round

1. Chiefs - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia - None of the other picks make sense. No Joeckle because they have a top 10 LT in Branden Albert. At RT they have Eric Winston who's one of the best in the league. They have 2 good pass rushers in Hali and Houston so no to Werner or Moore. They have already invested a bunch of 1st round draft picks on defensive lineman, picking Poe in the top 10 last season, so no to Loutelei. The Chiefs are a talented team and are a QB away from competing. Geno Smith is a lot like McNabb coming out of Syracuse. Andy Reid's 1st pick in Philly was McNabb. Smith is a perfect fit for Reid's offense.

2. Jaguars - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State - The Jaguars have a long list of needs and pass rusher is one of the top. Werner has a great first step and a non stop motor. Being a Florida guy it's an added bonus to the Jaguars who are desperate for fans.

3. Raiders - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M - The Raiders defense was abysmal last season. One of the biggest holes is at pass rusher.

4. Eagles - OT Luke Joeckle, Texas A&M - The Eagles were extremely banged up on the offensive line last season and that's probably the biggest reason for their demise. Starting LT Jason Peters is 30 and coming off a major injury. Joeckle is the consensus top rated player in the draft at this point.

5. Lions - DE Jarvis Jones, Georgia - The lightning quick Jones is a perfect fit in the Lions new defensive scheme.

6. Browns - DE Ezekial Ansah, BYU - Ansah is one of the faster rising prospects in the draft. The comparisons to Jason Pierre-Paul are legit and what's scary is he has only played football for 3 years. He is going to test extremely well at the combine and dominated NFL level talent in the Senior Bowl game. His upside is tremendous and gives the Browns 2 very good edge rushers.

7. Cardinals - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan - They definitely need a QB but I think that hole is filled either by trading back up into round 1, taking a shot at a 2nd round prospect or signing Alex Smith. Whatever QB they get has no shot at success with the terrible offensive line the Cardinals have. Fisher is a stud LT.

8. Bills - QB Matt Barkley, USC - The Bills owner has already stated getting a young QB is a huge priority. Barkley fell off the radar after an injury riddled season at USC. He actually put up good numbers despite the poor record. He has top notch intangibles and compares in many ways to Andy Dalton.

9. Jets - DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU - The Jets are contemplating switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense. Either way they definitely need an edge rusher and Mingo could fit in either defense.

10. Titans - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah - I have no clue how to spell his last name but he is a monster in the mold of Ngata. Gives the Titans a presence in the middle they haven't had since Haynesworth was playing at his best.

11. Chargers - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama - Their top 2 CBs are free agents and weren't very good to begin with.

12. Dolphins - WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee - Described as 6'3 Percy Harvin, Patterson absolutely fills the Dolphins biggest need.

13. Buccaneers - DE Dion Jordan, Oregon - The Bucs defense was awful in pass coverage last season, in large part due to the complete lack of a pass rush. Jordan is a freak athlete in the mold of Michael Johnson.

14. Panthers - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri - Richardson is a force in the middle and fills one of the teams biggest needs.

15. Saints - DT Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State - The Saints are making the move to a 3-4 defense and with all of the elite 3-4 OLB talent gone they elect to take a great nose tackle prospect.

16. Rams - OG Chance Warmack, Alabama - Warmack is a tremendous guard prospect who many think belongs in the top 10 of the draft. I just have a hard time seeing a top 10 pick used on a guard. The Rams have a huge need at guard.

17. Steelers - MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame - The Steelers defense is getting old. They could use a pass rusher but the top ones are gone. Vaccaro is a real option but I think Troy is there for at least another season and Clark is still playing well. Te'o is a great fit in the 3-4 and fills the spot next to Timmons giving them 2 great guys in the middle. On the plus side they also don't have to worry about Ben raping his girlfriend.

18. Cowboys - S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas - Local guy fits their new Tampa 2 defense well and fills a big need.

19. Giants - CB Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State - Their CBs left a lot to be desired in 2012.

20. Bears - LT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma - Raw former QB is an elite athlete at the position and has major upside. Offensive line is top priority for Bears.

[b][color=#ff8c00]21. Bengals - WR Keenan Allen, California - Would be a great #2 to Green. Getting weapons for Dalton has to be a top priority this offseason.[/color][/b]

22. Rams from Redskins - WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson - They need a #1 receiver and Hopkins is extremely good.

23. Vikings - MLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia - Athletic former safety needs to bulk up a bit but has a ton of ability and upside.

24. Colts - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina - Very talented player fills one of the top needs for the Colts.

25. Seahawks - DT Shariff Floyd, Florida - Adds another pass rusher to an already relentless pass rush.

26. Packers - S Matt Elam, Florida - Woodson doesn't have much in the tank but has one more season left to teach Elam how to play the position at a high level.

27. Texans - WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia - Dynamic WR who will take some pressure off Andre Johnson.

28. Broncos - CB Desmond Trufant, Washington - I think Bailey is about done playing CB. Trufant really played well during Senior Bowl week.

29. Patriots - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU - Another piece for their new 4-3 defense.

30. Falcons - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame - With Tony Gonzalez retiring it's time to find a new safety valve for Matt Ryan.

31. Ravens - MLB Arthur Brown, Kansas - Time to find a replacement for Ray Lewis

32. 49ers - DT John Jenkins, Georgia - Huge NT will be the eventual starter over the aging Sopoaga

33. Jaguars - OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

34. Chiefs - WR Terrance Williams, Baylor

35. Eagles - DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

36. Lions - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

[b][color=#ff8c00]37. Bengals from Raiders - RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina[/color][/b]
[color=#ff8c00][b]53. Bengals - S Phillip Thomas, Fresno State[/b][/color]
[color=#ff8c00][b]84. Bengals - OLB Jamie Collins, Mississippi State[/b][/color]

I've been working on this for a day or two, when I've found a couple of free moments. It's very similar to yours, akili. This may be extremely optimistic but it's my first go. Things will clear up, regarding prospects round placement, as this process moves forward.

1) Kennan Allen-WR-Cal-6'3 210

Big, smooth athlete. Technically polished enough to make up for less than elite measurables. The perfect complement to AJ, he goes over the middle, catches the ball away from his body and is dangerous in the open field. Green, Allen, Sanu, Jones, Hawkins? That's a lot of young talent.

2a) Kevin Minter-ILB-LSU-6'1 245

I didn't really like his play when I saw him live (on tv) in a couple of games. There are four or five games of his on YouTube and he just plays balls out, all the time. He plays disciplined, which sometimes has him chasing someone without the ball, but he is always around the ball, even if its on recovery. I've read he, unexpectantly, became a leader on the defense. I preferred Skov (c'est la vie) but Minter is much better than I gave him credit for at first glance.

2b) Jordan Poyer-CB-ORST- 6'0 182

Has the size, speed and football IQ to be a real player in the NFL. Another team defensive leader. He reminds me of Leon Hall in many ways, good pop on WR's at LOS, has the athleticism to turn and run with WR's ( played really well against the USC receivers). Returns punts. Another football player and measurable faller. Never mind his YouTube Martha Stewart act.

3) Phillip Thomas-S-FREST-6'1 215

Great densive mind in pat hill, this guy has always been put in a position to succeed, nothing is different with Zimmer. Thomas is a ball hawk and has a nose for contact, he's a poor mans Earl Thomas, at worst. Led the nation with 8 interceptions and added 4 forced fumbles and 80 tackles. Just plain productive.

4) Dennis Johnson-RB-ARK- 5'8 212

Rice, MJD, Martin type back. 4.5 speed, catches the ball really well out of the backfield, even lined up wide at times. Low center of gravity gives him great balance and makes him hard to bring down. Low mileage playing behind Davis, but was very productive when Davis was injured. Returns kicks. All time SEC all purpose yard leader.

5) Jamie Collins-OLB-SOMS- 6'3 245

Long and Rangy. Good pass rusher. Inconsistent motor from what I've seen. Played DE in college but has been at LB in Senior Bowl practices. He's kind of like recently signed Maybin with more size.

6) Terron Armstead-OT-ARKPB-6'5 306

Very athletic and strong for his size. He wears the 300+ lbs really well and could probably put on another 15-20 and retain his lateral agility. He has long arms but could stand to get stronger. He played the entire 2012 season with a fractured collarbone according to NFL Network coverage of the Senior Bowl.

7) Zac Stacy-RB-VAND-5'8 215- Very similar to Dennis Johnson, not as good in pass protection, but willing.

I don't see us taking a MLB early. I believe the starter will most likely be Burfict, or possibly Rey. I'm not sure Minter can play SLB.

Not sure Poyer lasts that long, but great pick if he does.

Unless you are counting it as a comp (which is quite possible) we do not have a 7th round pick.

The rest is fine.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1359480655' post='1211693']
don't love it, but it hits all of the positions of needs. I'm [b]not a huge Allen fan. IMO he's not nearly in the class of Patterson, Hopkins and Hunter[/b].
[/quote]

Most of the rankings I have seen have Allen the top WR in this class.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1359480655' post='1211693']
don't love it, but it hits all of the positions of needs. I'm not a huge Allen fan. IMO he's not nearly in the class of Patterson, Hopkins and Hunter.
[/quote]

I would agree that, athletically, Allen is inferior to Patterson, Hopkins, Hunter and probably even Patton. The difference is he's a much better football player than any of the four. His routes are polished and his catch radius rivals AJ's. Watching him play, he consistently puts himself in a position to make a play on the ball and was productive even with a horrible QB. I just see him as the best WR in this class, combine times and numbers will certainly make him look like he's a second tier prospect but watch the videos and he's the best football player on the field most of the time.

I also like Hopkins a lot but Patterson is all athletics at this point and I'm not interested in Hunter, off field/ locker room problems and he really didn't look like anything special in the videos I've seen.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1359481832' post='1211702']
I would agree that, athletically, Allen is inferior to Patterson, Hopkins, Hunter and probably even Patton. The difference is he's a much better football player than any of the four. His routes are polished and his catch radius rivals AJ's. Watching him play, he consistently puts himself in a position to make a play on the ball and was productive even with a horrible QB. I just see him as the best WR in this class, combine times and numbers will certainly make him look like he's a second tier prospect but watch the videos and he's the best football player on the field most of the time.

I also like Hopkins a lot but Patterson is all athletics at this point and I'm not interested in Hunter, off field/ locker room problems and he really didn't look like anything special in the videos I've seen.
[/quote]

IMO Hopkins is the most polished.

You probably hit on what it is for me though. When I watch Allen, I don't get the feel of a first round athlete. Maybe its just how Cal uses him, lots of passes close to the line. He also lines up in the slot a lot, and the Bengals don't need a slot WR. That's not to say he can't line up outside.

Maybe I'll watch more of him today. To now though, I'm much more impressed with a guy like Hopkins.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1359487660' post='1211745']
I think Eddie Lacy to the Packers at 26 is a realistic possibility.
[/quote]
I don't think they run the ball enough to take a RB in the first. Then again, the Saints didn't either when they took Ingram in the first a couple years ago.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1359491106' post='1211764']
I think they might have more interest in Bernard since he has caught a lot more passes. But if Lacy does well catching the ball at the combine thay may change.
[/quote]

yea I thought about that too, but its not like Benson was a pass catcher and Lacy is better at it than Benson. A power running game with Rodgers would likely put them back on top in the NFC.

Archived