University Study: Raider, Steeler Fans are the "Most Unstable" in NFL

OB-YU106_Count9_G_20130904201002.jpg

[b]The NFL's Most Unstable Fan Bases[/b]

Anyone who has seen the menacing, metal-stud-wearing fans in the Black Hole at Oakland's O.co Coliseum can attest that the Raiders have a volatile fan base. But would you believe that fans of the venerable Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are almost as unstable?

Emory University professors Michael Lewis and Manish Tripathi monitored Twitter after games during the 2012 regular season and logged whether the tweets mentioning an NFL team in that team's hometown were positive or negative. They calculated ratios of positive to negative tweets for the three days following each win and loss to produce a fan volatility rating. The higher the number, the more unstable the fan base.

Raiders fans hate-tweeted their way to the title of most unstable base in the NFL, with an index of 47. The Steelers and Patriots weren't far behind Oakland, with volatility ratings of 46.5 and 44, respectively.   Dallas, which finished the season with a mediocre 8-8 record, had the most stable fan base, with a score of 4.8.

Note: We were 11th, Cleveland 16th, and Baltimore 23rd.

Linky:  http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PUB:SB10001424127887324123004579055092963796698.html

I would think you'd have to switch out New England and Philadelphia.  Jets are surprisingly low too!  

Cleveland fans are probably just happy to even have a team again and something to take their minds

off of the fact that they live in Cleveland even if it's just for a few months!  

ha ha ha.. probably true.

I have been to quite a few different stadiums and Philly was by far the worst. I actually had moments when i thought we were going to get in to a fight.

Oakland was actually not that bad. The area surrounding the stadium was scary, but the people were actually pretty cool in the section we were in.

Archived