Richie Incognito Threatened Jonathan Martin

RayDoggBengal

The keep calling it bullying, I think the NFL just doesn't want to admit it's a racial thing.

Anyway what do others think.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-racial-slur-threats_n_4213340.html

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito used a racial slur to refer to teammate Jonathan Martin in threatening text messages, as first reported by Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. Martin, a second-year offensive lineman, abruptly left the team last week to reportedly receive help for emotional issues.
Citing a source with knowledge of text messages that Martin made available to his parents, the Dolphins and the NFL, La Canfora reported that Incognito called Martin, who is biracial, a "half-n*****" and threatened his family. ESPN's Adam Schefter obtained the transcript of a threatening voicemail that Incognito allegedly left Martin. Citing sources multiple sources who confirmed the authenticity of the transcript, Schefter reported that the NFL and the Dolphins have heard the message.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

1: Richie Incognito left this VM for Jonathan Martin in April 2013: "Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of (expletive)...
2. More Incognito to Martin: "I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. (I want to) (expletive) in your (expl) mouth....
3. Incognito VM to Martin: "(I'm going to) slap your (expletive) mouth. (I'm going to) slap your real mother across the face (laughter).
4. Incognito to Martin, all on same VM in April 2013: "(Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."
Schefter and ESPN's Chris Mortensen, citing multiple sources, reported over the weekend that Incognito played a key role in the alleged bullying and harassment of Martin. Incognito, however, denied the reports and lashed out at Schefter on Twitter for linking him to Martin's case.
The Dolphins issued a statement Sunday morning saying that the "notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally." But later on Sunday night, the Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely.
"We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time," the organization said in a statement released just before midnight. "We will continue to work with the league on this matter."
According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, Martin will begin his therapy today in California.
UPDATE: Citing a "ranking club source" on Monday, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reported that Richie Incognito is "done" with the Miami Dolphins.
"There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair," the source told Salguero. "The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here."

I am surprised that the black team mates didn't do shit about it. I am mad at them more than him in a way for not saying shit. 

Hard to say if the rest of the team knew the extent of it, but I can't say I'm all that surprised.  When someone's being ostracized like that the instinct is to shy away from them & look for ways to justify it to ourselves.  I'm not trying to excuse anything but if this Martin guy really was struggling as a player & teammate I can only imagine how bad the pack mentality of an NFL locker room could get.  The stakes are outrageous & the least sign of weakness will be exploited in every sense of the word - on the field, on ESPN, & even on this guy's voicemail.

I think the biggest fail in all of this is that Incognito, with a career rep as a giant turd, apparently passes for veteran leadership in the Flipper's locker room.  That's a systemic failure much grander than douchebag being douchebag.

Here's a blurb from Philbin's press statement.  You may remember him from Hard Knocks, acting like a sanctimonious prick with his bans on foul language, gum chewing, running in the hallways or staring at his sandals.

No rule against trying to drive a teammate to suicide, though.

I want you to know as head coach of the Miami Dolphins, I am in charge of the workplace atmosphere," Philbin said. "Since April 10, 2012, when players first came here. … Every decision I've made, everything we've done at this facility was done with one thing in mind: that is to help our players and our organization to reach their full potential.

I went with brown text to demonstrate fecal content.  If anyone deserves to lose their job over this, it's the head coach.

Archived