Car Rentals?

So my wife, daughter and I are flying back to Ohio in May to visit my Grandma.  I have not had to rent a car in years, but we need to grab one from the Dayton airport.

Anyway, last time we had a rental the insurance company set us up with a Corolla.  I'm not a snob by any means, but I'm 6' and my wife is 6'2".  

What I'm wondering is....is there a difference in legroom typically with a mid-size versus standard size car?  I know a compact is probably a BAD idea. 

And anyone have suggestions for discounts? Thoughts?  Ideas?

you work at a university right?  Most universities have some kind of deal with car rental places.  The university obviously wouldn't pay for it, but you might be able to use the university discount.  At some places its a built in perk to your employment.  same with cell phone carriers at certain universities.

you work at a university right?  Most universities have some kind of deal with car rental places.  The university obviously wouldn't pay for it, but you might be able to use the university discount.  At some places its a built in perk to your employment.  same with cell phone carriers at certain universities.

Scary that you remember that.  Yes I do, but it has been more complicated doing this through my university.  I will certainly check.

Of course....I searched on the website for our university and information came right up.  Looks like it will be Enterprise.

Not sure what kind of offer you get or what days you are traveling, but I use the last minute special deal at Alamo or National. Alamo tends to be cheaper (at CVG anyway).

If you can wait to book that is. I have never had an issue getting a car as the last minute deals last a week before they move on to the next week at the same price.

Alamo has a full size renting for $16/day

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/deals/last-minute-specials-landing.html

Gives you an idea of what it would cost

If you are in some sort of teachers's association or any sort of union-like organization they have discounts.

Also AAA, etc.  The rental company may ask something or not... or you can ask them.

Possibly even through your bank or a credit card.

The one place I got a major rip off with a rental was with insurance.

The coverage you have may (will probably) cover your insurance on the rental.
They will (may) try to stick you with insurance through them.

Even if you tell them "no", make sure they check the "no" box.

Years ago but major rip off when I said "no" and the "yes" box was checked and I was charged.

I raised Hell and they eventually cancelled half the premium (pretty much, too) but still I was out

a few bucks.

May not happen but... 

And by the way, if you do get a 2014 Corolla, of which I own one, prepare to be plenty surprised at the amount of interior leg and head room. It's a much bigger car than it used to be. It doesn't even look like a Corolla anymore.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f40f3606fa7f520417c0c9e02d7aa7a371d004ba/r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/06/06/1370563282002-corolla3-1306070000_4_3.jpg

And by the way, if you do get a 2014 Corolla, of which I own one, prepare to be plenty surprised at the amount of interior leg and head room. It's a much bigger car than it used to be. It doesn't even look like a Corolla anymore.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f40f3606fa7f520417c0c9e02d7aa7a371d004ba/r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/06/06/1370563282002-corolla3-1306070000_4_3.jpg

Good to know.   It has been a few years since we had the experience and it sucked.  I couldn't move the seat far enough back.

Archived