Canadian mother million dollar medical bill: Shocker $1 mil bill for new mother

Go Skins

http://www.examiner.com/article/canadian-mother-s-million-dollar-medical-bill-whopper-bill-for-giving-birth

Canadian mother has been saddled with a one million dollar medical bill. The reason for the outrageous bill? Because she’s a new mother. Jennifer Huculak-Kimmel and her husband, who are both citizens of Canada, took a vacation last year to Hawaii. Jennifer was six months pregnant at the time, but she gave birth nearly three months early. Rushed to the hospital via helicopter, she gave birth to a premature baby girl, who needed six weeks in intensive care and 14 weeks total in the hospital until the family could bring her home.

Writes the Canada Journal on Nov. 19: “New babies are always expensive, but a Saskatchewan couple has been hit with a $1 million bill after delivering their daughter prematurely in Hawaii. Their travel insurance provider, Saskatchewan Blue Cross, is refusing to pay for any of it, citing a pre-existing condition clause.”

The “pre-condition” cited by the provider was the fact Jennifer was pregnant, coinciding with a bladder infection she had prior to leaving. She disputes that, claiming her Blue Cross travel insurance advised her that any medical needs would extend to her while they were on holiday. Jennifer also says she was given permission from her doctor – in writing – to travel.

“I had an ultrasound four days before we flew down there. The doctor said, ‘There is no reason you can’t go to Hawaii. You and your baby are healthy,’” she said. “We thought we did everything right. We thought we were covered. We did the doctor’s appointment, we got the OK. We did the Blue Cross thing. It’s kind of a really hard fall when you think that you prepared yourself.”

Sadly, it will be cheaper for the insurance company to fight this in court than pay, and since it would be settled in a US court, and the poor family is from Canada the chance they can afford to actually pursue legal action and have a chance of winning are slim to none.

I fucking hate insurance companies.. Bunch of fucking scam artists.

Sadly, it will be cheaper for the insurance company to fight this in court than pay, and since it would be settled in a US court, and the poor family is from Canada the chance they can afford to actually pursue legal action and have a chance of winning are slim to none.

I fucking hate insurance companies.. Bunch of fucking scam artists.

Yep, which is why we need true national healthcare.

i am one of the few totally happy with my health care costs and coverage...pay $63 per pay check and spent $21,000 in medical bills last year and i had to pay a $125 emergency room co pay.... not a penny more all year for the entire family...

as for the story... maybe its just me, but medical clearance or not, i don't find it wise to fly a billion hours or multiple flights from canada to hawaii... i would say up to 5 months MAYBE.. but holy shit... just seems like a horrible idea...

wouldn't you ben keeping any vacation you have for after the baby comes ofr even more time with the baby(him even if she is staying home forever)... instead of going to hawaii?

maybe I'm weird.. but that seems fucking strange to me...

i am one of the few totally happy with my health care costs and coverage...pay $63 per pay check and spent $21,000 in medical bills last year and i had to pay a $125 emergency room co pay.... not a penny more all year for the entire family...

as for the story... maybe its just me, but medical clearance or not, i don't find it wise to fly a billion hours or multiple flights from canada to hawaii... i would say up to 5 months MAYBE.. but holy shit... just seems like a horrible idea...

wouldn't you ben keeping any vacation you have for after the baby comes ofr even more time with the baby(him even if she is staying home forever)... instead of going to hawaii?

You spent $21,000 in medical costs (+$63 per pay check) and you are happy?  That sounds fucking crazy for a family of healthy relatively young people.

Granted, I don't have kids, but it isn't common sense to not fly in the 3rd trimester?

You spent $21,000 in medical costs (+$63 per pay check) and you are happy?  That sounds fucking crazy for a family of healthy relatively young people.

i did go to the ER and have every test known to man run because i thought i was having a heart attack... which was $15,000 of that...$126/mo x 12 = $1500(roughly) to fully cover four peoples health, dental, and vision thats 8 dental visits, 4 eye exams, 8 doctor visits, shots, checkups, a lengthy ER visit, ambulance ride, everything.. for roughly $1500 out of pocket... a fucking steal if you ask me...

no argument that health care costs especially at hospitals get out of hand.. $15k for 6-7 hours and a bunch tests is nuts.. but were also people being arrested and handcuffed to beds who overdosed and police all over and this is in Parker, Co one of the nicer areas of the state... shit gets real in the ER, and i can only imagine the lawsuits over shit they have to cover...the american people created this monster, now we are living with it.... 

Granted, I don't have kids, but it isn't common sense to not fly in the 3rd trimester?

generally a bad idea.. but lots do it with clearance from docs... the risky part is many babies are born early.. so they want to avoid that shit on a fucking plane...

Archived