MSU dorm evacuated after explosion

Montana Bengal

http://m.nbcmontana.com/news/msu-dorm-evacuated-after-explosion/30069506

BOZEMAN, Mont. -
An explosion on the Montana State University campus left a student in the hospital and an entire dorm building evacuated. MSU officials tell us it happened around 7 p.m. Thursday at Langford Hall.

Two dorm residents were playing with an aerosol can and lighter in their room at the all-male dorm off College Street, when the lighter caused the can to explode.

The whole building was evacuated as a result of the explosion.

MSU Spokesman Tracy Ellig said one of the two students is in the hospital with burns on half of his body.

Dorm resident Conner Lowe told NBC Montana, "He was red from head to toe, I think he had even worse burns on his elbows and his shoulders.

The other student refused to go to the hospital.

Witnesses said students in the rooms bordering the explosion were trapped inside.

There was a bunch of smoke and so we were like Uh oh. We both ran outside and we were right in the courtyard next to (the dorm) and thats when we heard kids yelling Help from the third floor -- the room next to it, they were trapped in there, said Lowe.

Ellig said the room where the can exploded, and the rooms on either side of it, are now unlivable. The walls buckled in, and there's water damage.

The explosion was powerful enough that it caused the brick and mortar walls on both sides of this room to buckle out, as if they had been hit by a huge fist, he said.

Ellig said the students living in the three damaged rooms were able to go back in and grab belongings, but will have to be relocated to other dorm rooms for now.

The rest of the dorm's residents were allowed back in their rooms.

Edit

Video with images of the walls at link

I want to see Mythbusters use a lighter and aeresol can to damage a concrete brick wall like that.

I, too, am suspicious of this aerosol can story.  Crap construction? I didn't see any windows in that video, though & the blast has to go somewhere.

Archived