The mock draft to end all others.....

I know you have all been wondering when I was going to post my world famous mock drafts, well Christmas has come early cause here it is....

1.Benardrick McKinney LB - Mississippi St. - Ben can play any LB spot in a 4-3 defense, he's a great athlete and leader. Former HS QB that can run with TE's and has the size to hold up in the run game. Some might say he's a reach at 21 but he's a plug and play guy from day 1, can't ask for more from a first round pick.

2. Preston Smith DE - Mississippi St. - Preston is another plug and play guy with the size and speed the Bengals like at DE.He is not the flashiest of players but he does everything well. Again, some might say this is a reach but when you look at the 4-3 DE's available in the draft Smith is one of the best players available that fit the mold of what the Bengals look for out of that position.

3. Donovan Smith OT - Penn State - Smith is a guy who came out early and broke many hearts in Happy Valley, he's a dancing bear who showed very well vs. elite competition. With Whit getting older and Smith on the last year of his deal Smith is a guy who can step in and start in a year's time if need be.

4. Dezmin Lewis WR - Central Arkansas - Lewis is small school guy that make run great routes and make every catch, he has the size and speed to be a great WR in the NFL. He showed very well in the Senior Bowl vs. elite competition and will only get better with NFL coaching and weight training.

5. Nick Boyle TE - Delaware - Boyle can do it all, block, catch, and run after the catch. Another small school gem that will flourish with big league coaching and weight training.

6. Jake Ryan LB - Michigan - Team captain that will set a great example of how to prepare on and off the field. Can come in and be a special teams captain as a rookie and can also play in passing situations as he's a great athlete that can run like the wind.

7. Leon Orr DT - Florida - Orr is a very talented player that is very immature and that's why he will be lucky to be drafted. Orr was dismissed from the Gators after being told he wasn't going to start and leaving the field before a game last year. He has sloppy technique but with some NFL coaching and maturing off the field he could be a solid NFL player. At 6'5" 325 lbs he's a big guy that can move a pocket, but he has to show he has matured enough to handle the business of pro football.  

not crazy about McKinney.  I disagree that he can play any spot in a 4-3.  He's a 2-down MLB.  

He can maybe be a SLB as far as run support goes, but he won't offer you anything in covering TE's, and he's certainly not a WLB.

In fact, there's been a lot of chatter the last couple days about teams using him as a DE.

I don't dislike him, but 21 is high for him IMO.

In fact, there's been a lot of chatter the last couple days about teams using him as a DE.

Which could make him an ideal 3 down player, no?

In other words, the guy you are saying Bud Dupree can't be at 270, Bernardrick McKinney could be a poor man's version of now.  In fact, maybe not even poor man's because I see McKinney setting the edge MUCH better than Dupree does now, and for all of Dupree's athleticism don't see him getting home very often - whereas McKinney is on the ball almost every play.

not crazy about McKinney.  I disagree that he can play any spot in a 4-3.  He's a 2-down MLB.  

He can maybe be a SLB as far as run support goes, but he won't offer you anything in covering TE's, and he's certainly not a WLB.

I don't dislike him, but 21 is high for him IMO.

He can run with TE, he has fluid hips and ran a 4.6/40 which great considering he's 6'4' 250 lbs. At that size he can hold up on the edge or play MLB, plus he's a great leader. 

I agree that 21 is high but the depth at inside linebackers isn't that great so I would rather get a good one early then scrape the barrel looking for dregs later in the draft. 

I know you have all been wondering when I was going to post my world famous mock drafts, well Christmas has come early cause here it is....

1.Benardrick McKinley LB - Mississippi St. - Ben can play any LB spot in a 4-3 defense, he's a great athlete and leader. Former HS QB that can run with TE's and has the size to hold up in the run game. Some might say he's a reach at 21 but he's a plug and play guy from day 1, can't ask for more from a first round pick.

2. Preston Smith DE - Mississippi St. - Preston is another plug and play guy with the size and speed the Bengals like at DE.He is not the flashiest of players but he does everything well. Again, some might say this is a reach but when you look at the 4-3 DE's available in the draft Smith is one of the best players available that fit the mold of what the Bengals look for out of that position.

3. Donovan Smith OT - Penn State - Smith is a guy who came out early and broke many hearts in Happy Valley, he's a dancing bear who showed very well vs. elite competition. With Whit getting older and Smith on the last year of his deal Smith is a guy who can step in and start in a year's time if need be.

4. Dezmin Lewis WR - Central Arkansas - Lewis is small school guy that make run great routes and make every catch, he has the size and speed to be a great WR in the NFL. He showed very well in the Senior Bowl vs. elite competition and will only get better with NFL coaching and weight training.

5. Nick Boyle TE - Delaware - Boyle can do it all, block, catch, and run after the catch. Another small school gem that will flourish with big league coaching and weight training.

6. Jake Ryan LB - Michigan - Team captain that will set a great example of how to prepare on and off the field. Can come in and be a special teams captain as a rookie and can also play in passing situations as he's a great athlete that can run like the wind.

7. Leon Orr DT - Florida - Orr is a very talented player that is very immature and that's why he will be lucky to be drafted. Orr was dismissed from the Gators after being told he wasn't going to start and leaving the field before a game last year. He has sloppy technique but with some NFL coaching and maturing off the field he could be a solid NFL player. At 6'5" 325 lbs he's a big guy that can move a pocket, but he has to show he has matured enough to handle the business of pro football.  

BTW, in a vaccum, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.  It's a good Draft for the Future.

What it may not be (as much as I like it) is a draft for today.

Whether we trade down (my ideal)  to get someone a little more in line with value or not, we're going to need a LB early in the draft, and I have Mckinney and Kendricks as the two I like most.

Preston Smith is a no-brainer Bengal DE, but if we sign a guy off the street there's really no spot for him.  If we sign that guy, then maybe you go WR in the 2nd?

We don't have a DT, which, barring some kind of miracle off-season from Devon Still, we're going to need.  DT in the second would also be a pick well spent, and I imagine Xavier Cooper or Grady Jarret or Michael Bennet would be there.

I like the Donovan pick, but like Preston I almost wonder if it's too late for them to be there.

Overall, though, I like the direction.

He can run with TE, he has fluid hips and ran a 4.6/40 which great considering he's 6'4' 250 lbs. At that size he can hold up on the edge or play MLB, plus he's a great leader. 

I agree that 21 is high but the depth at inside linebackers isn't that great so I would rather get a good one early then scrape the barrel looking for dregs later in the draft.

Which is why I think he might be a trade-down player sort of scenario.  But who knows, I've seen him going anywhere from 14 overall to out of the 1st.

Which could make him an ideal 3 down player, no?

In other words, the guy you are saying Bud Dupree can't be at 270, Bernardrick McKinney could be a poor man's version of now.  In fact, maybe not even poor man's because I see McKinney setting the edge MUCH better than Dupree does now, and for all of Dupree's athleticism don't see him getting home very often - whereas McKinney is on the ball almost every play.

I've never seen a team move a MLB to nickel DE.  

McKinney is an ILB.  I don't see him playing SLB in a 4-3.  He doesn't have the coverage skills.  

BTW, in a vaccum, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.  It's a good Draft for the Future.

What it may not be (as much as I like it) is a draft for today.

Whether we trade down (my ideal)  to get someone a little more in line with value or not, we're going to need a LB early in the draft, and I have Mckinney and Kendricks as the two I like most.

Preston Smith is a no-brainer Bengal DE, but if we sign a guy off the street there's really no spot for him.  If we sign that guy, then maybe you go WR in the 2nd?

We don't have a DT, which, barring some kind of miracle off-season from Devon Still, we're going to need.  DT in the second would also be a pick well spent, and I imagine Xavier Cooper or Grady Jarret or Michael Bennet would be there.

I like the Donovan pick, but like Preston I almost wonder if it's too late for them to be there.

Overall, though, I like the direction.

I made this draft with the thinking that we will go after Nick Fairley in FA as he's the best DL available that I can realistically see the Bengals signing. I know we aren't going to get Suh and JPP won't see the open market, so that leaves Fairley as the best option. 

I've never seen a team move a MLB to nickel DE.  

McKinney is an ILB.  I don't see him playing SLB in a 4-3.  He doesn't have the coverage skills.  

He's athletic enough to play any LB position in a 4-3 defense, he ran a 4.6/40 and has a 40 inch vertical. After watching him in the change of direction drills at the combine he can move well enough to hold up in coverage. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000473200/2015-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Benardrick-McKinney-full-workout

I've seen some saying McKinney falls to the 3rd round or later. I don't really buy that he falls that far, but not sure I like the value at 21 either. Most of the scouting reports say he's not very good in coverage (despite your observation he looked good in change of direction, the reports are that he doesn't change direction real well, which is common for guys who are 6'4). 

Dig the rest of the picks (especially rounds 2 and 3) though and you also could assume an extra 3rd and an extra 4th or 5th for comp picks to play around with too.

One other nitpick, I'd like to see a WR with more quickness added to the team.

I think the thing to keep in mind about the 4-3 LB's is that it's quite rare that they go in round 1.  Generally, the guys that do have high production AND 4.5 speed at the combine.  

Manti-Teo

Kiko Alonso

Jamie Collins

Sio Moore

Mychal Kendricks

Bobby Wagner

Lavonte David

Those guys all went in the second round in the last 3 years.  

Dqwell Jackson

DeMeco Ryans

David Harris

Are a few notables from prior years that went in the second.

(It is interesting to note, however, that most all went in the above #50.)

I'm not sure I see any of the LBs this year getting into the first.

• 1 month later...

***** UPDATED******

1. Erik Kendricks - OLB UCLA - Kendricks is a 3 down LB that can run and tackle with the best of them, just what this defense needs. With Burfict a huge question mark and the depth at LB shaky at best we need to add big time play maker to this defense and Kendricks is a guy that can start from day 1. Some might say it's a bit high to draft him but if you can get a productive starter then that's a win. 

2. Grady Jarrett - DT Clemson - Jarrett is a penetrating lineman who can collapse the pocket and is also very stout vs. the run...basically a Geno Atkins clone. 

3. Donovan Smith  - OT Penn State - Very versatile lineman that can play OT or OG in the NFL.

3. Tre McBride - WR William & Mary - Speedster that can stretch defenses

4. Steven Nelson - DB Oregon State - Hard hitter that can play either safety or corner

4. Dezmin Lewis - WR Arkansas State - Big guy with 4.5 speed that has great hands, my favorite sleeper WR in the draft.

5. Jake Ryan LB - Michigan - Besides the fact he went to Michigan Ryan is pretty awesome, once he adds some weight he will be a very good MLB in the NFL. He can come in and be a ST captain and provide quality depth in case of injury.

6. Sean Mannion - QB Oregon State - Big armed guy that can stretch the field and make every NFL throw. A bit immobile, but with good coaching I believe he can be a good NFL QB.

7. Ray Drew - DE Georgia - Raw guy that was a big time recruit coming out of high school, he has the physical tools but needs some coaching to put it all together. 

It's funny, but in the only pick I'd be really thrilled about in the moment would be Jarrett.  On the other hand, after I look back and saw that we'd netted Kendricks, Jarrett and Donovan Smith (who you might have to say goodbye to, as he's now be talked about as a fringe 1st-rounder (in fact, all three are), I'd be pretty damned pleased. 

I'd probably go different from 4 on, but with a first three like that you'd have to go home from the draft happy.

Archived