Would you trade Dalton to the Browns

Considering the investment the organisation has made in Dalton, I would hesitate to say yes.  Also, Dalton is no Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers and he would make the Browns significantly better off the bat.  But would you want that in a division rival?  We'd better make sure we nail that extra round 2 pick otherwise as it could come back to haunt us, in the event of a Dalton trade.  No Margus Hunt projects please!

This would be the kind of shotgun (gun ho) trade big market teams like the Skins or Cowboys would do, but with the Bengals priding themselves on playing it safe and stability over recent years, I don't think it would be a good idea for this type of organisation on the whole.

Considering the investment the organisation has made in Dalton, I would hesitate to say yes.  Also, Dalton is no Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers and he would make the Browns significantly better off the bat.  But would you want that in a division rival?  We'd better make sure we nail that extra round 2 pick otherwise as it could come back to haunt us, in the event of a Dalton trade.  No Margus Hunt projects please!

This would be the kind of shotgun (gun ho) trade big market teams like the Skins or Cowboys would do, but with the Bengals priding themselves on playing it safe and stability over recent years, I don't think it would be a good idea for this type of organisation on the whole.

The Browns are pretty talent deficient. Adding Dalton would fix their QB position but giving up a bunch of picks would leave him with no receivers, mediocre running backs, and only 2 good offensive linemen. They also have bad ownership and a front office that's in disagreement among themselves. So I'm not worried about the Clowns.

The more important question is whether or not it would be good for the Bengals. My view is yes, that Dalton isn't asked to win games by throwing 45 times each week. We try to have a balanced offense, and let the defense do the heavy lifting. Dalton is better than a mere game manager but he's not irreplaceable. I like McCarron but the team could go out and sing Ryan Fitzpatrick for the same money they're paying Andy. Fitz had as many passing TDs last year as Dalton and McCarron combined. Or we could trade a draft pick for a higher end backup QB behind McCarron. 

Nope. I think you will find that on average it takes FAR more draft picks then that to hit on a QB who has performed like Dalton. Just ask any fan of any of the 20 +  teams who are stuck with true mediocrity at that position.

You don't trade out a proven player like Dalton at the most important position in the game for prospects.. Or "magic beans" as it were. Dalton has done nothing but improve since he has come into the league and there is no reason to assume that will not continue. He is still in the upwards arc of his career according to age and his position. Not only has he put up very impressive numbers, but he is a model player off the field and in the locker room.

Archived