Bengals' [other] Needs

Bengals needs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What are the Bengals' biggest needs other than quarterback, linebacker, and offensive line?

• Running back
    • Wide receiver
    • Tight end
    • Interior defensive line
    • Defensive end
    • Safety
    • Corner
    • Special teams/other

Bengaldom has spent the last two seasons talking about how bad the offensive line and linebacker corps are. I don't think there's likely to be much disagreement with those position groups being a priority. So, if we ignore those (as well as QB with the first pick lined up), which remaining need is most pressing?

I thought about this for a while and almost went for either secondary group. I went with the IDL though. The defensive line has looked great on paper and often terrible on the field in recent memory. Geno Atkins is the best defensive player in Bengals history, but he has gotten old and I think it showed in 2019. Billings gets a lot of credit for reasons I couldn't readily identify. I don't think Renell Wren is enough to instill confidence. If the interior rotation can be bolstered to better support the Dunlap/Hubbard tandem, then I think that goes a long way in improving the pass defense -- as much as a new safety or corner would.

I'm not surprised to see corner as a general consensus, though I didn't anticipate to this degree. I would prioritize safety over corner. Beyond the primary needs just about any position applies with this roster, so perhaps it's moot. Every time I see a CB mocked at the second round I do grumble internally a bit.

Archived