Rest In Peace Gale Sayers

Jason

Gale Sayers was not only an electrifying

running back but one of the greatest kickoff return players ever in the league..

His lifetime 5.0 ypc is a rare achievement even though he was inactive alot..

30 yrs per kickoff was the best of his era..

Just a hall of famer type player..

He had that "It factor"...

He was a model human being as well..

Fly high Gale..I know you willl...

Had an opportunity to meet and spend quite a bit of time with Mr Sayers a dozen or so years ago. 

Was at a business conference in Napa, and he was presenting on behalf of one of his companies. The next day, there was a golf outing there, and I was paired up with him in one of the foursomes. The whole round, not one word was spoken about football—he was totally focused on the golf. We just planned out the hole, and how we were going to score. For his age then, plus physical limitations , he still was quite impressive. One would expect that from an athlete of his abilities, regardless of the age. 

After the round, the group met in the clubhouse pub. Incredible views of mountains, vineyards, sun just beginning to go down. That late afternoon was the Thursday Opening Night of the NFL. We all gathered around the big screen to watch. I happened to be seated again near him. NOW he started to talk football. Seemed like every running play, he was punching out instructions to the screen: “Cut that way, dummy!”, and “these poor young guys don’t get taught anything these days”. It was wonderful. 

I will always remember that event: playing golf, and enjoying a fine craft brew, while watching a season opening game with an NFL Hall of Famer. 

RIP Mr Sayers

17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Had an opportunity to meet and spend quite a bit of time with Mr Sayers a dozen or so years ago. 

Was at a business conference in Napa, and he was presenting on behalf of one of his companies. The next day, there was a golf outing there, and I was paired up with him in one of the foursomes. The whole round, not one word was spoken about football—he was totally focused on the golf. We just planned out the hole, and how we were going to score. For his age then, plus physical limitations , he still was quite impressive. One would expect that from an athlete of his abilities, regardless of the age. 

After the round, the group met in the clubhouse pub. Incredible views of mountains, vineyards, sun just beginning to go down. That late afternoon was the Thursday Opening Night of the NFL. We all gathered around the big screen to watch. I happened to be seated again near him. NOW he started to talk football. Seemed like every running play, he was punching out instructions to the screen: “Cut that way, dummy!”, and “these poor young guys don’t get taught anything these days”. It was wonderful. 

I will always remember that event: playing golf, and enjoying a fine craft brew, while watching a season opening game with an NFL Hall of Famer. 

RIP Mr Sayers

Great story and what a beautiful memory..

Tks for sharing that..

Archived