Zac Taylor: I love confidence, leadership Ja’Marr Chase showed after Sunday’s loss

Published October 3, 2023 06:59 AM

After the Bengals’ 27-3 loss to the Titans on Sunday, a brief video clip of Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase made the rounds on social media.

It featured Chase saying “I’m always fucking open” while being pitched as a sign of the wideout’s frustration with the offense, but the full context of his comments played much differently. Chase was asked if he felt he had enough time to get open on a day when the Titans produced a lot of pressure during a session that also saw him say he believes Joe Burrow will “get back to it in no time” and that the offense has to do more to capitalize on its opportunities.

On Monday, Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said he sometimes watches players’ postgame video sessions to see if their comments are “about the team” and singled Chase’s comments as “how our best players handle it the right way.”

“It’s real leadership,” Taylor said at his press conference. “He’s reflecting a lot on when I get my opportunities, I got to find ways to be explosive and get in the end zone. We got to be more detailed looking at the playbook and watching tape. I thought he was outstanding. . . . It shows the confidence he has that I’m going to get open and win and when I get my opportunities, I’m going to do something with it. I love that. It’s confidence from one of our best players.”

At 1-3, the Bengals need a way to translate that confidence and leadership into better results on the field sooner rather than later.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/zac-taylor-i-love-confidence-leadership-jamarr-chase-showed-after-sundays-loss

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yea his full locker interview was pretty chill and straight forward, the clip of "im always fucking open" was whored out like he was throwing a tantrum. social media clickbait headlines have ruined sports journalism.

Like the fact that Chase will be upfront and open to his thoughts but even he doesn't remark about the online non existence in pass protection.

JB throwing out at 2 4 seconds 

to complete a pass and survive the onslaught in the aftermath.

Sad and frustrating to watch this happen.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Like the fact that Chase will be upfront and open to his thoughts but even he doesn't remark about the online non existence in pass protection.

JB throwing out at 2 4 seconds 

to complete a pass and survive the onslaught in the aftermath.

Sad and frustrating to watch this happen.

Burrow's lack of mobility is setting up the oline to fail, if the defense knows that Burrow is going to be a specific spot and can't move once he gets there that makes their job very easy. 

Volson getting beat like a drum is another issue, but calling him out won't help him or the team. When the team watches tape it's obvious who is not playing at a high level.