What we learned from Jake Browning's second win as Cincinnati Bengals quarterback

595d6a85-90cd-487e-95b0-eba8f5cd20f4-KelKelsey Conway
Cincinnati Enquirer

Don’t look now, but the Cincinnati Bengals have won two straight games to get to 7-6 on the year. Everything the franchise set out to do this year remains in sight despite losing franchise quarterback Joe Burrow for the season.

A few weeks ago, it wasn’t crazy to wonder if the Bengals could win another game without Burrow. After the 1 p.m. slate of games Sunday, Cincinnati was the seventh seed in the AFC playoff picture. That changed after the 4 p.m. games, but the Bengals were still in a group of six 7-6 teams and it doesn’t take away from the fact that the Bengals have put themselves back in the mix.

And there’s three main reasons for why the Bengals have been able to navigate losing their star quarterback and put themselves in the the playoff mix.

Bengals getting the most out of their offensive line

The Indianapolis Colts didn’t register a sack against the Bengals. It was the best performance Cincinnati’s offensive line has put on display this year.

“Credit to Cincinnati, they did a good job protecting,” Colts head coach Shane Steichen said following the game.

Now that Jake Browning has three games under his belt, he’s processing things at the line of scrimmage faster. It helps tremendously when he has time to get through his progressions because the protection in front of him is so good.

That was the case against the Colts and it should be noted that Indianapolis ranked second in the NFL in sacks this year with 42.

“Those guys up front did a great job,” Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said of his offensive line. “They take pride in keeping the quarterback healthy, getting the run game going, clearing the perimeter on screens. Those guys have risen to the challenge and are really helping us right now.”

In addition to the pass protection vastly improving, the Bengals are coming off two of their best rushing performances of the year in large part due to their run blocking. Cincinnati rushed for 111 yards in the win over the Colts.

If Cincinnati’s offensive line can continue to play at the level they are down the stretch, the Bengals will have a chance in every game.

Running the ball well and protecting Browning is the recipe for success.

Rookie Chase Brown is Bengals’ X-Factor on offense

When the Bengals drafted Chase Brown in the fifth round out of Illinois, expectations were high because of what he put on tape at the collegiate level. Brown, 5-foot-9 and 212 pounds, is a different style of running back than Joe Mixon and the duo gives the Bengals a legitimate 1-2 punch at the position.

Cincinnati added Brown in hopes he would become their change of pace back the team badly needed. He has become that and more.

“It’s kind of nice to have the one-two punch of him and Joe Mixon,” Browning said of Brown. “I think every good offense needs two legit running backs, and I think we have that.”

In the Bengals’ last two games – both of which have resulted in wins – Brown has amassed 166 yards. He’s given Cincinnati a spark they needed after losing Burrow for the season. The Bengals have lacked speed on offense for most of the year.

Brown took a screen pass and turned it into a 54-yard touchdown play. He can change the game in one play because of his speed. Per NFL Next Gen Stats, Brown hit a max speed of 22.05 mph on the touchdown. The play had the highest speed by a Bengals ball carrier since NFL Next Gen started tracking in 2016.

Brown likely would have earned a bigger role earlier in the season had he not injured his hamstring and landed on injured reserve. Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and Taylor said Brown had earned more opportunities the week before the running back injured his hamstring during practice.

After not giving Brown a carry against the Stealers, the Bengals have given him more chances and he’s made the most of them.

“He’s done a great job controlling what he can control,” Taylor said. “When he came back off the injury, he’s shown great attention to detail as a rookie with what we’re asking him to handle. He makes plays when his number is called. This whole rookie class has had the right mindset since they walked in. It’s a really impressive class. Chase has had a great two games.”

Jake Browning has earned the trust of his teammates and it shows

The Bengals are operating with full confidence on offense and the trust Browning has earned in the locker room is a big reason why.

Since he arrived in Cincinnati, Browning has made getting to know his teammates a priority. On Tuesdays, he used to meet with the defense to help them get ready for their next opponent to offer a quarterback's perspective. He understood his role on the team and embraced it for what it was.

That’s why it really took only one game for the Bengals to get things going on offense with Browning. The players want Browning to succeed because of the way he’s gone about his business. His calm demeanor exudes through the offense.

“I think my relationship with guys on the team kind of goes back to being here for a while, and not really being in a (starting role) ... People are going to approach Joe (Burrow) differently than they approach me when I’m the backup, so I kind of get to know all of these guys really well on a pretty personal level,” Browning said. “So I think, now that I’m playing and all that, we still have that same relationship. I still feel like the exact same person. I think also, I’m just genuinely being myself. I struggle to get outside of that.”

Cincinnati will go as far as Browning takes them and right now, he’s one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL through a two-game span. Browning completed 18 of 24 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns in the win over the Colts. If the Bengals can continue to run the ball effectively and keep Browning from having to drop back 30-plus times, this offense can carry the team into the playoffs. And he knows

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/12/10/cincinnati-bengals-qb-jake-browning-keys-success-indianapolis-colts-afc-playoff-picture-playoffs/71874332007/

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
595d6a85-90cd-487e-95b0-eba8f5cd20f4-KelKelsey Conway
Cincinnati Enquirer

Don’t look now, but the Cincinnati Bengals have won two straight games to get to 7-6 on the year. Everything the franchise set out to do this year remains in sight despite losing franchise quarterback Joe Burrow for the season.

Uh, “everything“???

I do believe the franchise set out to win the AFC North…and that ain’t happening.

• Upvote 1