Breakout Rookie, First, or Second Year Player

Who do you think it will be?  Which "kid" takes a major step forward this year?

Andrew Billings, the big strong DT?

Mario Alford the burner at WR and hopeful KR?

William Jackson III the long fast CB who may be the most athletically gifted of the CBs?

Cody Core the big fast WR?

Marcus Hardison the swing DE/DT?

PJ Dawson the instinctive WLB?

Or someone else?  Or maybe  no one? Who do you think, and why?

I'd like to leave guys like Tyler Kroft and Shawn Williams who are somewhat "obvious" out.

Marcus Hunt...I'm kidding.  I'd love for Will Clarke or Jeremy Hill to have huge years...but if I had to put money on someone it would be Tyler Boyd.  I think with Eifert missing pre season at the least he'll have ample opportunities to make plays.  Teams will focus on AJ and he should see tons of single coverage.  I'd expect 52 catches for 800 yards and 6 TDs.

36 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Marcus Hunt...I'm kidding.  I'd love for Will Clarke or Jeremy Hill to have huge years...but if I had to put money on someone it would be Tyler Boyd.  I think with Eifert missing pre season at the least he'll have ample opportunities to make plays.  Teams will focus on AJ and he should see tons of single coverage.  I'd expect 52 catches for 800 yards and 6 TDs.

^^This

Plus Andrew Billings, because he'll get more snaps down given the new D-Line coach planning to use players on a more rotational basis.

Not sure if he counts, but I think Dennard could emerge in a big way. I've been watching some Bengals games on NFL rewind the past few weeks and he really stood out mid-season and seemed to be coming on fast before the shoulder injury. He looked especially good in the Bills game. The slot CB plays 70-75% of the snaps and he should have that role locked down. Wouldn't be shocked if he also pushed Kirkpatrick to the bench when we play just 2 corners. 

1 hour ago, Steve4192 said:

I'd also like to see Hardison step up and really seize the Gilberry DE/DT tweener role for himself.  That would alleviate a lot of the concern over second-string DEs.

I'm not sure Hardison is going to be as much of a tweener as everyone thinks. He seems like more of a pure DT.

He's currently listed at 6'3, 315 and looks at least that big in the OTA photos.

Can't think of many guys who get snaps at 4-3 DE who are in the 310-320 range. (Gilberry was listed at 270 for comparison's sake.)

25 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I'm not sure Hardison is going to be as much of a tweener as everyone thinks. He seems like more of a pure DT.

He's currently listed at 6'3, 315 and looks at least that big in the OTA photos.

Can't think of many guys who get snaps at 4-3 DE who are in the 310-320 range. (Gilberry was listed at 270 for comparison's sake.)

I thought Hobson said Hardison dropped 15 pounds this offseason?

22 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

This.

Boyd will get more snaps because of Eiffert being hurt.

Archived