Bengals awarded 7th round compensatory pick

[quote]In exchange for losing Jon Kitna and Matt Schobel to free agency last season and gaining unrestricted free agents Dexter Jackson and Anthony Wright, [b]the Bengals picked up one compensatory seventh-round pick for next month’s draft doled at the end of Monday’s sessions[/b].

According to the NFL, the Bengals received a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents because the free agents they lost were ranked higher than players it signed based on salary and performance.

Jackson started 11 games and played in 12, but Wright threw just three passes as quarterback Carson Palmer’s backup. Wright is an unrestricted free agent again and while he continues to talk to the Bengals, the Falcons, looking to replace Matt Schaub behind Michael Vick, are also talking to him with former Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson now the Falcons offensive coordinator.

The Bengals now have seven picks and two in the seventh round after gaining the 253rd choice. Their fellow AFC North contenders cleaned up. Baltimore picked up four compensatories, including a fourth-rounder, and pissburgh picked up two with a fifth.[/quote]

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='462752' date='Mar 27 2007, 01:35 AM']thats actullay fucking sweet news, i like that.[/quote]
If I understand this right, it's not exactly all that exciting. Doesn't this mean we gain a pic after every team has already grabbed their 7th round pick? This is basically what would otherwise be a undrafted FA. I wouldn't expect to grab anything more than a special teamer with this pick (but if we could grab a Kilmer clone [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] )

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='462754' date='Mar 26 2007, 08:38 PM']If I understand this right, it's not exactly all that exciting. Doesn't this mean we gain a pic after every team has already grabbed their 7th round pick? This is basically what would otherwise be a undrafted FA. I wouldn't expect to grab anything more than a special teamer with this pick (but if we could grab a Kilmer clone [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] )[/quote]

im not expecting a player thats going to be great or anything but ya never know!

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='462755' date='Mar 27 2007, 01:40 AM']im not expecting a player thats going to be great or anything but ya never know![/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the pick than not have it. Say there's a guy like Ben Wilkerson in this draft, that we'd really like to have, instead of hoping to pick him up as a FA, we can nab him with the late pick.

I just wish we'd been awarded a better pick. No surprise there I suppose.

Our last 7th Rd compensatory turned about to be the 259th selection in 2003 aka Elton Patterson, so no, I wouldn't be TOO excited, but it's nice to have to fill a roster spot that somebody shitty currently fills.

This is bad news for fringe players like Berryman, Henderson, HD Jones, John Busing, Quincy Wilson, Ghent and Guenther.

It'd be a good place to pick up a Bramlet, just to fill out the roster.

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='mongoloido' post='462756' date='Mar 26 2007, 08:43 PM']special teams should get a boost from this.[/quote]

I was originally unimpressed, but you have a good point.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='462785' date='Mar 27 2007, 03:08 AM'][b]Can't trade compensatories[/b] unless they changed that in the new CBA, but I doubt it.

It'd be silly to do so, if the players was worth trading up for, we'd have selected him in the Rd prior, or stockpiled picks before hand.[/quote]
this is correct as i understand it as well

Guest BengalBacker

Put me down for, whoever we use the pick on, doesn't make the team. Maybe practice squad.

But, it's still better than having Kitna.

^_^

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='462934' date='Mar 27 2007, 09:14 AM']You never know....

... and with their selection in the 2001 NFL draft 7th round, the Cincinnati Bengals select T.J. Houshmandzadeh!
It's about time for that kind of lightning to strike again!!![/quote]

What it does is it allows us to take a flyer on someone with a high risk high reward scenario...exactly what we did last year in rounds 6 and 7. A Mcneal/Kilmer/Brazzell type. If one of those picks hit we look like geniuses.

I would take Paul Thompson with one of those picks.

[quote name='Qc_Bengals' post='462993' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:03 AM']We could use this pick to draft a good long snapper.[/quote]
I think this is a bigger deal than people realize. This allows you a chance to grab a guy that would never sign with you as a free agent. For instance, I've heard that Nick Saban & the Dolphins were fully expecting to pick up Bennie Brazell from LSU. Miami needed wide receivers, and Saban coached Brazell in college. This year the Bengals could grab a player at a position that they are considered deep at, knowing that the guy wouldn't sign with them as a free agent.

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='dex' post='463247' date='Mar 27 2007, 04:55 PM']I think this is a bigger deal than people realize. This allows you a chance to grab a guy that would never sign with you as a free agent.[/quote]

lol longtime Bengals fan?

Seriously though... I would assume it would be cheaper to sign an undrafted kid out of college than it would be to sign a 7th rounder. Is this true?

If so, then this seems to me to be a pointless and potentially more expensive way to go.

I see your point though. If you thought someone else might grab him, it might be worth paying a little extra for him.

It's generally cheaper. Really it's neglible, because

Guys in Rd 7 would really rather go undrafted, save for the guarantee of getting signed.

They get very little bonus money and DON'T get to pick what team they go too. For instance, Brazell wouldn't likely have chosen to come here because we're so stacked at WR. But since we had the pick to burn, he's ours for the next 3 years.

Really, this compensatory should go to a position that we couldn't lure a priority FA to come here anyway, so WR, QB, maybe FB and RB even though there are lots of injuries generally there, maybe OL and DE.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='463455' date='Mar 28 2007, 05:45 AM']It's generally cheaper. Really it's neglible, because

Guys in Rd 7 would really rather go undrafted, save for the guarantee of getting signed.

They get very little bonus money and DON'T get to pick what team they go too. For instance, Brazell wouldn't likely have chosen to come here because we're so stacked at WR. But since we had the pick to burn, he's ours for the next 3 years.

Really, this compensatory should go to a position that we couldn't lure a priority FA to come here anyway, so WR, QB, maybe FB and RB even though there are lots of injuries generally there, maybe OL and DE.[/quote]

What he said !!
Wasn't there a OT a couple of years back that got really pimped as a UDFA and with a few teams getting into a bidding-war over him, he ended up being paid like a 4 - 5 rounder!? I think it was the Brown and I think his name was Quasim Mitchell.... or something like that.

Archived