By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)
Insider

Updated: December 17, 2007

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Mock drafts are fluid at this point of the season since the draft order changes weekly based on the results of NFL games, and it's once again time to update my projected top 10 picks.

New England is no longer in line for the second overall pick and will be spared the dilemma of whether to select Darren McFadden while the Falcons are changing direction based on their coaching situation.

Here's a look at how those teams and the rest of the top 10 would pick heading into Week 16 of the NFL season:

Draft-eligible juniors are denoted with an asterisk

1. Miami Dolphins (1-13) -- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
One of the Dolphins' top priorities is to upgrade the talent level along the offensive and defensive lines with an injection of youth. Dorsey played most of the second half of the college season with a minor knee injury and was still the most disruptive defensive tackle in the country. He should be ready to contribute from Day 1 in the NFL.

[+] Enlarge
Jake Long

Leon Halip/Getty Images

No offensive lineman had been as good as Jake Long this season.
2. St. Louis Rams (3-11) -- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Long is without question the most dominant offensive line prospect in the 2008 draft class and would be a good fit in St. Louis considering the season-ending injury to perennial Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace and the Rams' overall struggles along the offensive front.

3. New York Jets (3-11) -- Darren McFadden*, RB, Arkansas
The Jets went with a defensive player in my first two projections but McFadden is simply too special to pass up. Sure, New York already has Thomas Jones in the backfield, but do you think the Vikings regret taking Adrian Peterson with last year's No. 7 overall pick despite having veteran Chester Taylor under contract?

4. Atlanta Falcons (3-11) -- Matt Ryan, QB,
Ryan is the most complete quarterback prospect in the 2008 class and he has a chance to become an excellent starter at the next level. He gets the nod over Louisville's Brian Brohm now that Bobby Petrino, Brohm's former college coach, is no longer the head man in Atlanta.

5. New England Patriots (14-0) (from 4-10 S.F) -- Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Outside of McFadden, there isn't a player I value more in the 2008 class than Long. He plays the game with rare passion and nearly flawless technique, making him an ideal fit for coach Bill Belichick's 3-4 scheme in New England. Long is able to control blockers, disengage and make big play after big play. The fact that he finished the regular season with 14 sacks playing in a 3-4 defense speaks volumes in regards to his talent and motor.

6. Baltimore Ravens (4-10) -- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The Ravens need a fresh start at quarterback but they can't afford to make another mistake like they did with Kyle Boller. In this scenario, Baltimore would have a difficult decision to make between Brohm and Kentucky's Andre Woodson.

7. Kansas City Chiefs (4-10) -- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
Clady is still improving his strength but he possesses impressive feet to go along with his enormous wingspan. Clady only makes sense here if the team feels confident in Brodie Croyle as its future franchise quarterback. If not, Woodson would be the pick.

8. Oakland Raiders (4-9) -- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
Ellis is a quick, tough and relentless defensive tackle. He has the potential to disrupt plays in the backfield and also occupy blockers to allow linebackers to run to the ball. He would make the Raiders' entire front seven better.

9. Cincinnati Bengals (5-9) -- James Laurinaitis*, ILB, Ohio State
Ellis would be a strong possibility if he fell here. In this scenario, though, Laurinaitis makes the most sense assuming he elects to leave school following the Buckeyes' national title game showdown with LSU. The homegrown product is the top linebacker prospect in the country and his leadership would be a welcome addition to the Bengals' floundering defense.

10. Chicago Bears (5-8) -- Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
The Bears are once again in the market for a future franchise quarterback and Woodson would be the final first-round option with Ryan and Brohm already off the board. Woodson needs some polishing but has the strongest arm of the three, making him a good fit to succeed as a passer in the Windy City.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611170' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:09 PM']another good choice. I see some patrick willis in Lauranaitis though.[/quote]
I don't really like Laurinitis that much, and I'm a Buckeye fan. He's a good player, but overrated. The team needs depth at linebacker no doubt, but improving the pass rush is priority 1 and 2.

i don't think we need anymore young linebackers with a bunch of money invested in them (pollack, thurman, brooks)
we need a DE then a DT then OL in that order of need, we also need: more OL,pass catching TE, then LB but i will be happy if we draft a LB who turns out to be a beast, but if we resign landon and dhani then we don't need to draft one just hope brooks reaches his potnetial

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='611166' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:02 PM']Crap on that. If we don't pick Vernon Gholston there I'll be pissed.[/quote]

Gholston would be a slight reach at 9, but I wouldn't mind trading down and taking him.

[quote name='Jason' post='611304' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:22 PM']Gholston would be a slight reach at 9, but I wouldn't mind trading down and taking him.[/quote]
Actually Laurinitis would be a reach at 9. I have read that Gholston may go as high as top 5. Scouts compare him to Shawne Merriman.

Is there any chance Chris Long falls to us? He has freak measurables and speed and it cant hurt he's the son of a HOF'er. I think he could easily replace J smith when he walks and we :wave: goodbye to him. Frostee the inactiveman has all of about 4 tackles in 2 years and gettng him simply on the active roster for a game would be an achievement on its own. If Long falls to us or our record puts us in the position to draft him IMO I say he's the pick. 14 sacks out of a 3-4 for a lineman is almost unbelievable college or not.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='611344' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:57 PM']Is there any chance Chris Long falls to us? He has freak measurables and speed and it cant hurt he's the son of a HOF'er. I think he could easily replace J smith when he walks and we :wave: goodbye to him. Frostee the inactiveman has all of about 4 tackles in 2 years and gettng him simply on the active roster for a game would be an achievement on its own. If Long falls to us or our record puts us in the position to draft him IMO I say he's the pick. 14 sacks out of a 3-4 for a lineman is almost unbelievable college or not.[/quote]
Not unless we pick top 5, which I don't think is possible.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='611447' date='Dec 19 2007, 12:23 PM']all i know is i will be pissed if when we pick dorsey, ellis, gholston, and long are all gone[/quote]
It's very very possible. Pretty much every mock that I have done all 4 are picked before us. In that scenario I hope we pick Kenny Phillips, since Madieu is a free agent, Jackson is garbage, and everyone else is very unproven.

Archived