this Teacher should be FIRED

Quakerz

[quote name='Quakerz' post='207745' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:52 PM'][url="http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3426221"]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3426221[/url][/quote]

[quote]Teacher's true colors definitely not orange, blue
By Julianne Bentley
Denver Post Staff Writer

Embracing diversity and practicing tolerance had been mainstays of Joshua Vannoy's Pittsburgh-area high school ethnicity class - until the student wore his Denver Broncos jersey to school.

A die-hard Steelers fan and teacher at Beaver Falls High School made Vannoy, 17, take a midterm test on the floor because he was sporting a John Elway No. 7 jersey. The honors ethnic relations teacher had Vannoy sit in a circle of desks, then instructed his classmates to throw paper at him.

The treatment wasn't part of any classroom lesson, his teacher says. He had warned students before not to wear another team's jersey in his classroom.

"I was humiliated and shaking. I couldn't finish my test," said Vannoy, a Broncos fan even though he's a native of Pittsburgh Steelers country.

Teacher John Kelly thought he was "just messing around" with Vannoy, telling him he couldn't sit at any desk in his class Friday.

Vannoy said Kelly grabbed him by the neck of his jersey when he tried to sit in his chair and told him he would give him a zero on the exam if he didn't sit on the floor. Kelly told the 12 other students that part of their midterm was that they had to throw paper at "the stinking Denver fan" - or lose points, he added.

"Some threw the paper at me, some threw it at the ground," Vannoy said.

Kelly said he didn't threaten Vannoy's grade or grab his shirt. He said that he told students to do those things but that nobody took it seriously.

"When you are joking and everyone's laughing, it's obvious," Kelly said.

And it's not the first time Kelly has employed the tactic. "I did the same thing last week with one of my ninth-graders who wore Peyton Manning," Kelly said of the Indianapolis Colts quarterback.

Principal Thomas Karczewski said a concerned Vannoy later came to his office. Although Vannoy is probably "the only Denver fan in the entire school," Karczewski said he was sure Kelly had no intent to harm him and that it was a joke that went too far. He plans to talk to the teacher Monday, Karczewski said.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what (the class) is designed to do," Kelly said. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy's mother, Virginia, is worried her son will get a lower grade in the class. She wants him to be able to retake the exam.[/quote]

Well yes, the teacher did go too far, and now that this has come out in the media, probably will be fired. As he should be, he abused his power. Joke or not, he's the authority figure. These kids are not his buddies, as some high school teachers like to treat them.

Although, this kid needs to grow a set. He's 17, he should know that if he wore the Bronco jersey to school, he would be rediculed. And I'm sure he was, over and above this. The teacher though, is the only one he could get back at. So he ran home and told his mommy about it and she got all upset and called the media.

You know how much shit I've taken over the years for wearing Bengal gear?

Boo-fucking-hoo, I say. Grow up and take it like a man. <_<

[img]http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0122/20060122_122656_0122broncjersey.jpg[/img]
Pussy.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]

"When you are joking and everyone's laughing, it's obvious," Kelly said.

To a kid getting laughed at by a teacher AND his peers, it is not obvious...how humiliating :thumbsdown:

I live in Clowns territory and if one of my kids teachers pulled a stunt like that, I'm afraid I would go off... :rant:

Here's a story somewhat related...August 1983, North Central Ohio, Jr. High Football, 99% of kids are Clowns, Cowgirls or Squeelers fans, except for my brother and I, Bengals are off of 2 straight playoff appearances including a Super Bowl...So my brother and I are in a tackling drill with other players and the drill is being run by one of the assistant coaches. One of us makes a mistake, misses a tackle, whatever, and a player says something like, "That's what you get for being a Bengals fan". (HA HA :rant: ) . Well, after every turn that we had the players really started laying into us and the icing on the cake was that the assistant coach was laughing just as hard as they were. (CLASS [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img] ). Needless to say that my opinion of fans of other teams took a sour turn that day and really I've had to deal with attitudes like that my whole life. But it was fun one time when I was at The University of Akron during our 2nd Super Bowl and wearing a Bengals T-shirt will get you plenty of looks, but they knew they couldn't mouth off because we were in the Super Bowl, and wasn't our home game against the Clowns that year a 21-0 win on Monday Night?

Anyways...for that teacher in Pittsburgh, well, to humiliate a student in front of his peers has to come with consequences and especially because it was over something like his choice in NFL teams. How gay can the Squeeler people get?

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='207766' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:22 PM']My oldest is still in elementary school and I tend to be a little protective of my kids, someone did that to my 11, 8, 6 or 5 year old and they will wish they had been run over by a semi :rant: [/quote]

I would agree in those cases, but this kid is 17. Grow the hell up.

If one of my teachers tried this shit with me when I was 17, I would have something like, "I'm sitting down, I'm taking my test, and if I get a zero, we can meet in the principal's office, and you can explain to her why you failed me." Granted, I was a smartass and had a bit of a problem with authority back then.

I admit though, when I was 14, I probably would have done the same thing this kid did. FWIW.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Boomer07' post='207779' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:43 PM'][quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='207766' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:22 PM']
My oldest is still in elementary school and I tend to be a little protective of my kids, someone did that to my 11, 8, 6 or 5 year old and they will wish they had been run over by a semi :rant: [/quote]

If one of my teachers tried this shit with me when I was 17, I would have something like, "I'm sitting down, I'm taking my test, and if I get a zero, we can meet in the principal's office, and you can explain to her why you failed me." Granted, I was a smartass and had a bit of a problem with authority back then.

I admit though, when I was 14, I probably would have done the same thing this kid did. FWIW.
[/quote]

Hell, and how distracting is it to have people throw paper balls at you when you're tryin to take a damn exam, though? I can't stand the bit of noise now, but that type of shit would just set me off, and I'd probably go into the school the next day with an AK.

Fuck that asshole...This was an honors class, he is probably a good kid that respects authority (its rare these days). This asshole teacher took advantage of his position.

Typical stool fan..I can't belive you guy are calling this kid out... :thumbsdown:

I think I will try to find this school on line... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img]

I hope the asshole gets fired now...TEACH THE CLASS AND CHECK YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES AT THE DOOR....DICK!

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Boomer07' post='207779' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:43 PM'][quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='207766' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:22 PM']
My oldest is still in elementary school and I tend to be a little protective of my kids, someone did that to my 11, 8, 6 or 5 year old and they will wish they had been run over by a semi :rant: [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah man, at 17 years old, I don't know anyone who's 17 years old who would take this shit, unless of course they thought it was funny as well, and when they got home realized the goldmine they could be sitting on if they went public with it.

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='207786' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:56 PM'][quote name='Boomer07' post='207779' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:43 PM']
[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='207766' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:22 PM']

[/quote]

Hell, and how distracting is it to have people throw paper balls at you when you're tryin to take a damn exam, though? I can't stand the bit of noise now, but that type of shit would just set me off, and I'd probably go into the school the next day with an AK.
[/quote]

If that was going on, I would've said to the teacher, "are you going to let this go on?" and if he did, I would've sat there and took it until the exam was over, then headed directly to the pricicpal's office, with my test, to explain the situation.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='207791' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:04 PM']Fuck that asshole...This was an honors class, he is probably a good kid that respects authority (its rare these days). This asshole teacher took advantage of his position.

Typical stool fan..I can't belive you guy are calling this kid out... :thumbsdown:

I think I will try to find this school on line... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img]

I hope the asshole gets fired now...TEACH THE CLASS AND CHECK YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES AT THE DOOR....DICK![/quote]

Like I said, the teacher deserves to be fired, no question.

But, if the kid was in an honors class, he should've been smart enough to handle the situation, and smart enough to know that wearing a Bronco jersey to school that day would have reprocussions. And I'm sure that he got much worse than that when there weren't teachers around.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='207797' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:12 PM']Phone - 724.843.7470 - then find the staff extension.
Kelly, John Social Studies Ext. 1764

Just in case some one would like to know.

:ninja: [/quote]

You're brutal!

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='207795' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:10 PM']Yeah man, at 17 years old, I don't know anyone who's 17 years old who would take this shit, unless of course they thought it was funny as well, and when they got home realized the goldmine they could be sitting on if they went public with it.[/quote]

Word up.

Guest BengalsOwn
If this kids a pussy like that at 17, I'd hate to see what he's like when he gets out on his own.

I know I was on my own when I was 19, and I wasn't that much different from when I was 17...

He'll be the kind of idiot to pay a $7,000 credit card bill after someone stole his card, and but too big of a pussy to call and dispute the charges.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='207802' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:19 PM']If this kids a pussy like that at 17, I'd hate to see what he's like when he gets out on his own.

I know I was on my own when I was 19, and I wasn't that much different from when I was 17...

He'll be the kind of idiot to pay a $7,000 credit card bill after someone stole his card, and but too big of a pussy to call and dispute the charges.[/quote]
No, No, No... :onoudidnt: Don't you know that kids that get picked on in school grow up to be ...Cops. <_<

Since this story comes out of Pittsburgh it doesn't really surprise me too much. Also, the kid's not a pussy. C'mon, I'm a high school teacer. I work with kids this age ALL the time. None of them have the balls to stand up to a teacher.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='207810' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:33 PM']Since this story comes out of Pittsburgh it doesn't really surprise me too much. Also, the kid's not a pussy. C'mon, I'm a high school teacer. I work with kids this age ALL the time. None of them have the balls to stand up to a teacher.
MULLY[/quote]
I forgot we had an area expert...Thanks Mully. I felt all alone in this one. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/18.gif[/img]

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='207810' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:33 PM']Since this story comes out of Pittsburgh it doesn't really surprise me too much. Also, the kid's not a pussy. C'mon, I'm a high school teacer. I work with kids this age ALL the time. None of them have the balls to stand up to a teacher.
MULLY[/quote]

I did a few times, always ended up in the principals office though -_-

MULLY[/quote]

Maybe because they're taught to respect authority at an early age in Japan. Different culture.

When I was that age, anyone I knew that had balls enough to do something like that, had balls enough to deal with it.

None of the kids that couldn't handle the reprocussions (besides the "special-ed" kids), would have worn the jersey in the 1st place.

Guest steggyD
What the hell? No, I am usually for the toughing up of our children. We do treat them like fragile glass anymore, but this is completely out of line. Yeah, the kid may expect to get picked on, even by a teacher. But that usually deserves a simple word or two. Something like, you know your boys are gonna get stomped. But for the teacher to put the kid on display like that, way out of control. And for sports? Come on, that doesn't even matter in the school world. Maybe put the child on display if he fucks up big time on a test. But for sports? I hope that teacher never teaches again... ever.

And for you all to call him a pussy? That's not necessary. He took it, but he is not happy with the end results. It didn't say that he cried and ran out of the classroom. He did what he thinks is right. The teacher tells him to do something and he listened. Of course maybe he should've done something different, but he listened. That's what I expect children to do. I know the kids at my children's school are punks and pay no attention to the teachers, and it interferes with my children's learning. I'm glad to see that there are students out there who will listen, yet question the judgement afterwards and bring it to the attention of people they trust even more.

Archived