Who should be IU's next head coach?

Guest IndianaBengal

Guest IndianaBengal
Lots of rumors going around. I know that a lot of head coaches can't talk or show interest now because of contracts or players. When the dust settles, someone really good will come to Bloomington. Who do you think it will be? I personally like Mark Few of Gonzaga.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='227289' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:09 PM']Lots of rumors going around. I know that a lot of head coaches can't talk or show interest now because of contracts or players. When the dust settles, someone really good will come to Bloomington. Who do you think it will be? I personally like Mark Few of Gonzaga.[/quote]

Mike Davis

:ninja:

I think IU's first choice would be Steve Alford, but I don't know how happy he is at Iowa.

IU was the first team I was ever a fan of, and remained an IU fan even during my years at UC until Huggins took over at UC. I might become an IU fan again if they hired Huggins, but it would surprise me if they did.

Guest IndianaBengal
Iu is real high on graduation rate. Like Duke. Whomever they choose, they will have to go to church on sunday and gradanate 98% of tharye plaiyers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThurmanMunster
Mark Few wont leave gonzaga, he has had the chance for a few years now and he seems content with staying there.

I dont think the IU coach is going to be some big name. I have hated IU ever since they got rid of Knight so I really don't care who they sign. I hope it doesnt work out for them.

[quote name='Storm' post='227626' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:04 AM']Tubby Smith[/quote]
Fucker..... :angry:
If we beat UCONN are you going to be singing that tune still?
GO CATS!
As for IU, I think Mike Davis has been doing an excellent job at not beating UK until this year. I say keep him until he beats UK again, then can his ass (I know, he's resigning, but still....).

Guest CTBengalsFan

[quote name='Bunghole' post='234726' date='Mar 19 2006, 12:26 PM'][quote name='Storm' post='227626' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:04 AM']
Tubby Smith[/quote]
[b]If we beat UCONN are you going to be singing that tune still?[/b]
GO CATS!
As for IU, I think Mike Davis has been doing an excellent job at not beating UK until this year. I say keep him until he beats UK again, then can his ass (I know, he's resigning, but still....).
[/quote]

down 12 at half time :1hump:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='234726' date='Mar 19 2006, 05:26 PM'][quote name='Storm' post='227626' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:04 AM']
Tubby Smith[/quote]
If we beat UCONN are you going to be singing that tune still?
GO CATS!
[/quote]

No, the ole Tubbster gets another year, I promised myself I'll be nice to him for one more year

Guest IndianaBengal
Didn't Tubby win that title with a Pitino coached and groomed team?? Just like Davis went to the title game with knight coached players???

I will say that Mike Davis is a great recruiter. Just too much inconsistency with the coaching aspects.

Guest IndianaBengal
below is some news I really liked.

Few won't deny Hoosier rumors
Gonzaga coach's lawyer mum about possible meeting for Indiana vacancy

BY HOWIE STALWICK

FO R THE OLYMPIAN

SPOKANE -- Speculation about Mark Few's interest in leaving Gonzaga for Indiana increased Friday when Few's lawyer repeatedly rejected opportunities to deny that Few will meet with the Hoosiers about the head coaching vacancy for Indiana men's basketball.

"I just talked to Mark," said Brad Williams, a Spokane attorney who handles contracts for a number of college basketball coaches. "We just kinda had the position that we're not going to make any comments at all. I'll just leave it at that."

Asked later whether Few would be interested in talking with Indiana representatives, Williams said, "No comment. I don't know what we're going to do."

Later, asked if ESPN.com was accurate in reporting that Few, through Williams, turned down a request to meet with Indiana's hiring committee, Williams said, "No."

Williams later clarified that comment, saying that neither he nor Few has talked with any Indiana officials. Williams said Atlanta's Dan Parker, who has contracted with the Hoosiers to aid in the coaching search, called Williams last week and asked if Few would talk with him about the Indiana job.

"Mark said, 'I don't want to talk to him now,' " Williams said.

Gonzaga's season ended Thursday with a stunning late collapse in a 73-71 loss to UCLA in the semifinals of the Oakland Regional in the NCAA Tournament.

"He's not going to talk to anybody while the tournament is going on (when Gonzaga was still playing)," Williams said.

Few and Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth did not return phone messages Friday. Few gave a terse reply when asked about the Indiana job in Oakland, but did not say he was not interested.

All those schools pay more than the reported $600,000 Few makes at Gonzaga. Few, known for his laidback manner off the court, has often said how much he enjoys the relative peace and quiet of Spokane and the abundance of outdoor activities and outdoors activities available in the area.

Few also has expressed frustration at times with Gonzaga's "mid-major" label and the fact that playing in the West Coast Conference hurts the Bulldogs when strength of schedule is considered for NCAA seedings. This year, the Bulldogs went 14-0 in the WCC and were ranked fifth in the final regular season polls, but were seeded third in the Oakland Regional.

Gonzaga finished 29-4 this season. Few has guided Gonzaga into the NCAA Tournament all seven years as head coach. His career record is 188-41 (.821), and no coach in men's basketball history has won more games in their first seven years as a Division I head coach.

Guest IndianaBengal

Kelvin Sampson of Oklahoma is supposed to have been given the job today. I will have to check on the IU sites to validate this. Any info on Sampson. Good coach????? :o

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='240045' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:48 PM']Kelvin Sampson of Oklahoma is supposed to have been given the job today. I will have to check on the IU sites to validate this. Any info on Sampson. Good coach????? :o[/quote]
He has coached many good oklahoma teams. Been pretty good in the tourny until this year, i believe.

Probably should have taken alford though.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='JC' post='240050' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:52 PM'][quote name='IndianaBengal' post='240045' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:48 PM']
Kelvin Sampson of Oklahoma is supposed to have been given the job today. I will have to check on the IU sites to validate this. Any info on Sampson. Good coach????? :o[/quote]
He has coached many good oklahoma teams. Been pretty good in the tourny until this year, i believe.

Probably should have taken alford though.
[/quote]

definitly made the smart decision to go with sampson and not alford. first smart thing they have done since they hired bob knight.

Archived