***** NEED SOME HELP ***** opinion on a job

GoBengals

Well as many of you know i ahve essentially been unemployed for over 3 months now. My last day at T-Mobile was Jan 27th and have been paid for a days work since then. I have been doing several different things including restarting my own business as a junction with a new friends company launching a hybrid of the two. The company will likely bring me about $25-30,000/yr thats about 50-60% of what i need to carry on my current lifestyle. I have also applied at some sales places VERY similar to my previous employer and have two offers coming in the next few days, in fact one of them came today, only without specific details.

i need some recomendations based on the below company comparison.

[b]Comapny #1:[/b] Just purchased another large company and is the largest company of its kind in the country, offer fair pay, slightly more than i was previously making I would make about $42,000-$45,000 plenty to live on (especially added to the $25-30k i will still make from my own business) Totaling $67-75k annually. This company is larger than Co#2 and MIGHT be more reliable, meaning only that if the shit hits the fan with the other company i could be out of a job, but very unlikely. With this Co unless i fuck something up its almost a sure thing. [color="#ff0000"]The position for this job is a entry level sales position.[/color]

[b]Comapny #2:[/b] This company is small, they have 50 markets nationwide and are opening another fifty, they have about 1/25th of the client base as company one. They are now launching the cincinnati market and im sure have funded 2-3 years worth of backing so there is no worry of the job colapsing but there is a minor risk of [color="#3333ff"][i]"giving large salaries to people to launchy the market and then firing them when business levels out 6-12 months down the road" [/i][/color][color="#000000"]This company i will likely make $45-52,000 in addition to my own company totaling $70-82,000. [/color][color="#ff0000"]This position is for a managemnt or assistant manager role.[/color]

[color="#ff0000"][/color]

[b][color="#333333"]I currently have no official management experience on my resume and continue to only get entry level positions. i have managemnt my own businesses ran record labels andseveral employees at once, i can do it but cant prove it kinda thing. So Co 2 gives me that shot and puts it on my resume. Co 1 doesnt do that but there is a clear path to promotion there, whether its 6-12-18 months down the road i have no idea. I have a HUGE track record of success in the filed and nearly 5 years experience (which is quite rare).[/color][/b]

[b][color="#333333"][/color][/b]

[b][color="#333333"]I have asked a few people, not many think too highly of Co 2, but can i turn down the experience and management opportunity and MONEY for some extra security? Co 1 sells cooler shit, Co 2 sells much much fewer items but has a serious NITCH market thats easy to sell to. Co 2 sells lesser quality products but its common knowledge no one is getting the shaft, etc.. Co 1 i love the manager he has been awesome, the only person to welcome me when i arrived and shake my hand and went far out of his way to make this opportunity happen QUICKLY, I would feel horrible to turn it down, but i have a family to take care of and a future to consider. Co 2 could grow rapidly and offer some SWEET serious opportunities or offer me nothing, i wont know until im already there.[/color][/b]

[b][color="#333333"]Lastly, to consider, Company 1 wants me to start next week so pay would start rolling in in 2 weeks, Company two starts me training in JUNE so likely not to see pay until nearly July. I have about $2500 coming in from my company so i wont be BROKE, but i wont be getting a new car or couch anytime soon. :)[/color][/b]

[b][color="#333333"]OPINIONS? INPUT? I appriciate any advice you may have...[/color][/b]

Thats a tough call.

Considering you have a family, and the way the economy and businesses are ran with
that moron in the White House, I would advise you to take the most secure option.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='257211' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:16 PM']can you give us specifics on what they sell?[/quote]

equivilant of cell phones. but not the exact same. same business model/type of products.

[quote name='ONYX' post='257221' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:23 PM']Thats a tough call.

Considering you have a family, and the way the economy and businesses are ran with
that moron in the White House, I would advise you to take the most secure option.[/quote]

thanks for the input, the industry as a whole is rather insecure. either COULD be a crapshoot, but at face value #1 seems more secure.

Company 2 if you are able/want to relocate.
Seems like the opportunity could be there.
If the answer is no then take 1.

Unless you can use the "management" in company 2 to get a job in 6 months that you are unable to get now because of the lack of "management experience" before you get fired and are still employed of course.

[quote name='BrassBengal' post='257234' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:34 PM']Company 2 if you are able/want to relocate.

Unless you can use the "management" in company 2 to get a job in 6 months that you are unable to get now because of the lack of "management experience" before you get fired and are still employed of course.[/quote]

i likely could, and i don think it would be so harsh as to just fire people in 6 months, i think lofty quotas and such making commission minimal would ensure until your forced out...etc...

[quote name='BrassBengal' post='257234' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:34 PM']Company 2 if you are able/want to relocate.

Unless you can use the "management" in company 2 to get a job in 6 months that you are unable to get now because of the lack of "management experience" before you get fired and are still employed of course.[/quote]

couldn't say it any better. GB get management experience under your belt soon, cause your not getting any younger so you could move on to better and bigger things. get your feet wet and suck it up for a little for the experience.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='257284' date='Apr 29 2006, 01:16 AM']There are always entry level positions, thats why they call them entry level. Managment isnt always available.

Take the Managment, and tell the other company your doing that, perhaps they counter offer.[/quote]

took the idea right out of my brain.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='257284' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:16 PM']There are always entry level positions, thats why they call them entry level. Managment isnt always available.

Take the Managment, and tell the other company your doing that, perhaps they counter offer.[/quote]
Go I advise this as well. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to essentially what you were doing before given your experience.
However, having mouths to feed of my own, I know what kind of a responsibility/monetary pinch you are experiencing, but if you can afford to get by on what income and savings you have now until Company 2 can start paying you, I'd go for it.
And cut back on that sugar cereal consumption, that shit's expensive. Or switch to King Vitamin.....
Good luck!

Archived