Ratbirds have the right idea

Guest TheBeaverHunter
[quote]An offensive coordinator typically refers to the coach on a football team in the National Football League (or at others levels of American football) [color="#FF0000"]who is in charge of the offense[/color]. This position aids the head coach by designing and scripting plays, delegating work to offensive position coaches during practices and games, thereby allowing the head coach to focus on overall play and more important issues during games and practice sessions. In the NFL an offense coordinator usually has several assistant coaches working under him: a quarterbacks coach, a running backs coach, a receivers coach, a tight ends coach, an offensive line coach, and a quality control coach. At lower levels an offensive coordinator may also coach some of these positions, or an assistant coach might be responsible for more than one position. Many offensive coordinators in the NFL call the offensive plays during games, but some head coaches prefer to assume that duty themselves. This often depends on whether the head coach comes from an offensive or defensive background.[/quote]

It is [color="#FF0000"]HIS[/color] offense, IF [color="#FF0000"]HIS [/color] offense doesn't produce it is [color="#FF0000"]HIS fault[/color].

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='366272' date='Oct 17 2006, 04:09 PM']It is [color="#FF0000"]HIS[/color] offense, IF [color="#FF0000"]HIS [/color] offense doesn't produce it is [color="#FF0000"]HIS fault[/color].[/quote]

That is so incredibly simplistic.

Guest TheBeaverHunter
Simplistic? Simplistic? Not blaming him is simplistic. It's like you guys are so simple that you blame everything and everybody BUT the offensive coordinator, whose job it is to COORDINATE THE OFFENSE, and the offense's job is very simple, to score points and keep the opposing offense off of the field.

If Marvin doesn't make the appropriate corrections then it escalates to his fault and strictly his fault.

When are you guys going to hold Brat accountable?

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='366147' date='Oct 17 2006, 01:05 PM']I am sick of people saying Brat isn't the problem. The O coordinator is the coordinator of the Offense. Guess what, the line is a part of the offense.

It is his job to come up with a game plan to execute to give this team the best chance to win. He has failed to do so. He knows what he has and what he is up against and it is HIS job to figure out ways to execute.

I have been saying this for 4 years he is a below average OC that has been made to look good by his surrounding talent. Now his surrounding talent is in question and he is being exposed.

Take off the homer glasses. When your offense can't put points on the board IT IS YOUR COORDINATOR'S fault.

Look at what Arizona did against the Bears (best D in the league) lastnight. Short drops and quickouts. With the way our line has been playing why haven't we been doing this.

We can't adapt to the teams we play.[/quote]

The surrounding talent is here because he can scout and coach. He's good. Enjoy him while you have him.

If you've been saying it for 4 years, you've been wrong for 4 years. Saying it a 5th years isn't going to change that.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='366296' date='Oct 17 2006, 04:45 PM']Simplistic? Simplistic? Not blaming him is simplistic. It's like you guys are so simple that you blame everything and everybody BUT the offensive coordinator, whose job it is to COORDINATE THE OFFENSE, and the offense's job is very simple, to score points and keep the opposing offense off of the field.

If Marvin doesn't make the appropriate corrections then it escalates to his fault and strictly his fault.

When are you guys going to hold Brat accountable?[/quote]
Ill hold hiim accountable when Perry and Henry are in the lineup with the others at the same time.
Ill hold him accountable when the Oline has had a chance to play as a unit for a few games..
Ill hold him accountable when CP is 100% healthy once again..
Until then Ill blame it on injuries more than Brat.....

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='366296' date='Oct 17 2006, 04:45 PM']Simplistic? Simplistic? Not blaming him is simplistic. It's like you guys are so simple that you blame everything and everybody BUT the offensive coordinator, whose job it is to COORDINATE THE OFFENSE, and the offense's job is very simple, to score points and keep the opposing offense off of the field.

I have held him accountable. He's accountable for producing what just about everyone calls a top offense in the league.

A few bumps isn't going to change what's been built over a number of years.

The scheme has proven it can put up huge numbers. The scheme has proven it can win. The scheme has proven it can produce pro bowl players.

3 games doesn't trump the entire resume.

Simplistic is blaming the coordinator for the players not executing the desingned play, simplistic is being so neive to think that a 2nd year 4th round center was going to replace a 13 year vet overnight or that having our 3 WR set on the field FOR ONLY ONE GAME (which we won, btw) doenst make a difference. Yes when the chips are down like that you have to adjust, and in some positions were deep, but now were down to the 4th WR this week being a former practice squad guy, you cant honestly tell me that if we take out Brat and Plug in Chow that everything will start firing on all cylinders. That is extremely simplistic and incredibly nieve.

Brat will be accountable when the team has all its players in place and still doesnt preform.

[quote name='scharm' post='366309' date='Oct 17 2006, 04:51 PM']I have held him accountable. He's accountable for producing what just about everyone calls a top offense in the league.

A few bumps isn't going to change what's been built over a number of years.

The scheme has proven it can put up huge numbers. The scheme has proven it can win. The scheme has proven it can produce pro bowl players.

3 games doesn't trump the entire resume.[/quote]

word

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='366321' date='Oct 17 2006, 10:00 PM']Brat will be accountable when the team has all its players in place and still doesnt preform.[/quote]
Sorry, Jamie. By this logic, we should just accept a losing season due to injuries, while Tampa managed to win with two rookies on its o-line against us on Sunday. gimme a break. Is their OC a magician?

Injuries have been a part of every season of every team from day one. It's Brat's job to come up with a plan that works with the PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS that are still available to him.

Guest TheBeaverHunter
You guys are just like Pitt fans. Last years stats and success doesn't mean dick when we are getting out performed by a rookie QB and his offensive squad.

If we had a good OC last year we would have led the league.

see my reply in this thread [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=23994"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=23994[/url]

[quote]When is the injury excuse going to be exhausted? Good teams over come injuries. Look at the Pats, look at the stealers last year. You will never have the same healthy 22 guys starting Offense and Defense the whole season. It is the coaches job to overcome what they are dealt.[/quote]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='366325' date='Oct 17 2006, 05:05 PM']Sorry, Jamie. By this logic, we should just accept a losing season due to injuries, while Tampa managed to win with two rookies on its o-line against us on Sunday. gimme a break. Is their OC a magician?

Injuries have been a part of every season of every team from day one. It's Brat's job to come up with a plan that works with the PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS that are still available to him.[/quote]

Your missing my point here, I question some of Brats play calling too, specificly the last series. But people cant tell me that our players are executing and that Brats playcalling is entirely the problem, everyone with two eyes and a honest bone in their body knows that isnt the case.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/includes/iframes/multimedia_player_movie.asp?section_id=13&wmp_link=http%3A%2F%2Fplay%2Erbn%2Ecom%2Fplay%2Easx%3Furl%3Dnfl%2Fnfl%2Fopen%2Fbengals%2Fwmdemand%2Fwhitworth061016%2Ewmv%26proto%3Dmms%3Fmswmext%3D%2Easx#"]Whitworth says it best...[/url]

"You dont just jump in there and play beside a guy that you've never played beside before..."

Game 1 - all the guys played beside each other before and we played fine
Game 2- Levi didnt play and Whitworth (rookie) did thus they had never played beside each other
Game 3 - A center with 1 game experience
Game 4 - same as game 3
Game 5 - New C and Whitworth is playing G intead of T, then in the middle of the game that all changes

It will work itself out eventually, but you cant tell me that you believe you can plug anyone in there and expect it to run the same.

You want to be mad, be mad at the guys that have played every game thus far and arent playing to the level they did last year, Willie, Bobbi and Eric.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='366330' date='Oct 17 2006, 05:20 PM']You want to be mad, be mad at the guys that have played every game thus far and arent playing to the level they did last year, Willie, Bobbi and Eric.[/quote]

Agreed.

My 2cents on this topic:

I am not a Brat hater nor do I think that he is all that. He is OK/average in my book. He is not a difference maker or innovator. Could he do better? I think so, but also I would not place the blame on him alone. I would bet Marvin has critiqued himself, the coaching staff, and the players – all have a hand in this. To be successful, I am a true believer in that you have to put the injuries aside and “move on”.

I think firing Brat would be a huge mistake, but in complete flipflop form, I also wonder if Zampese might be a better OC. For example, if we would lose Zampese to another teams OC position next year, I cannot help but speculate whether it’s time for Brat to move on and promote to Zampese to our OC versus losing him.

Having said that, we have a saying in the company I work for: “the thing you know the least about always appears to be the most attractive option”

[quote name='GoBengals' post='366260' date='Oct 17 2006, 03:48 PM']i dont think many of you understand what the job of the offensive coordinator is...

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR:

Duties: Design plays, Use strengths of offense and players to score points. When ball touchers are injured, use plays during the game to make up for the loss.

NOT DUTIES OF OC: Making the offensive line do its fucking job. Makes the WR's catch the motherfucking ball. Make the O-Line open PROPER gaps for running back for play called. MAKE QB make correct reads or gain pocket awareness after coming back from devistating injury. Answer to whiney internet bitches who dont understand how nfl football works. This isnt highschool. The offensive coordinator has little to nothing to do with orchistrating player performance. He needs the half dozen offensive coaches to make sure the players are performing properly so HE CAN DO HIS JOB. He cant do it if the other coaches dont have the players doing what they are supposed to.[/quote]

Offensive Coordinator is in charge of the offense. Period. If the assistants aren't doing their job -- that is Brat's job to get on their ass. If we have injuires, it is his job to script an offense to take into account those injuries. If there are things the Offense can't do -- you don't keep doing then. By any measure, Brat is a horrible OC. Everyone in the league knows what he is going to do. Do you think for one minute Arizona's offense has more talent than ours. Is Leinart better than Carson --yet they kept the best defense in the league on their heels until they tried not to lose the game (like Brat) and ran Edge between the tackles play after play. They did what they had to do for a QB playing in his second game - and against the Bears. And he gets canned because of a ST breakdown (punt return and missed FG). And yet we keep Brat.

Can we question some of Brat's playcalling, especially at the end of the game? Of course. Should we be calling for his head? Not yet.

As others before me have stated, he has to call plays using his strengths AND protecting his weaknesses. Right now, due to injury, one of the major weaknesses he has to protect is a shoddy line. this means that he doesn't have the luxury of calling 5-wide sets and deep bombs every play. Look at how much pressure defenses are getting on Carson with the dumbed-down offense they are playing now. Think of how it would be if they were trying to play run-n-gun street ball like much of last year.

Not to mention the fact that, in the back of his mind, he has to worry about having enough protection for his Franchise QB who is still recovering from a knee injury that would have ended his career if it had happened 10 years ago.

Imagine what we would be saying if he tried to keep the same offense as last year and Carson went down with another injury due to lack of protection

Guest Francisco d'Anconia
[size=3]I'm pissed.

I have never seen so many people write off a team in my life.

[b]We are literally one blown call away from being 4 -1.[/b]

FUCKING 4 WINS AND 1 LOSS.

I don't care how ugly YOU think any of the '4' wins were. Its the NFL and its called parity.

Did anyone watch the Bears/Cardinals game lastnight?

The Bears were supposed to have one of the most high-powered offenses in the league. Hell, people were saying they could go 16-0. Did ANYONE see their offense lastnight and the way there whole team played for 55 minutes.

6 Turnovers. 150 TOTAL yard of offense.

The Bengals haven't played half that bad in 4 years.

"FIRE THEIR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR."[/size]

Guest oldschooler
I`ve been a Bengals fan for 30+ years.

I`ve never given up on them until they were mathematically eliminated.
Of course, back in the 90`s, that used to happen in October... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/40.gif[/img]

I don`t want anyone to be fired either. I just want people to start getting healthy !

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='366381' date='Oct 17 2006, 07:00 PM']I'm sorry Mrs. Bratkowski, some people have clearly over reacted.

But the injuries to the o-line are the scary part.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Yes, some have overreacted. But it is to be expected. In the sports world, a little bit of strife always causes a lot of controversy. The ones that have jumped ship are the ones that were last on the bandwagon anyway.

Archived