Irvin's racial remarks no joking matter

Jason

Link: [url="http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm"]http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm[/url]

Those who ever get in front of a microphone should be smart enough to stay away from racial stereotyping, even if something is said supposedly in jest.

Whether the person thinks he or she is being funny isn't the point. Race is a serious subject and no matter how lighthearted a remark, it is bound to offend a certain segment of viewers or listeners.

With that as a backdrop, we present the latest questionable bit of taste used by former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver and current ESPN analyst Michael Irvin.

[b]In speaking last week on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin, who is African American, began giving a description of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who is white.

"Romo doesn't look like that type of athlete," Irvin said. "But he is - I don't know - there's some brother down in that line somewhere - [maybe] his great-great-great-grandma ran over in the hood or something went down."[/b]

And if Irvin didn't bury himself enough with that comment, he sank deeper when Patrick asked if that was the only way Romo could be a great athlete.

[b]"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "[Maybe] his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second.' "

Others have lost their jobs for racial stereotyping.

In 1988, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was fired as a contributor to The NFL Today on CBS after telling a reporter that African Americans were naturally superior athletes because they had been bred to produce stronger offspring during slavery. Snyder wasn't trying to be funny during the interview.

Meanwhile, Irvin - who was laughing when he made his remarks - has gotten off apparently with a light slap on the wrist.[/b]

"Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong," ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said. "We have spoken to Michael about it."

The Inquirer requested an interview with Irvin, but ESPN decided to play his comments about the situation from Monday's The Dan Patrick Show.

When asked if Irvin has or will be disciplined, Lamb said the matter was closed.

Irvin was contrite in discussing his remarks. "I do want to apologize for those comments," Irvin said.

Then Irvin tried to give the rationale behind his comments.

"My whole thing is that I try to give people a firsthand knowledge what it's like in the locker room and how we as players joke around with other players. That is how I joke with Romo when we play basketball."

There is a lot said in the locker rooms that could never make it on the cutting table in television or radio. And just because it is said in locker rooms doesn't make it right.

Irvin was joking when he made the original comments and contrite afterward when talking to Patrick on Monday.

"I certainly have to know when to draw the line, and I needed to draw the line and I apologize for that," Irvin said.

While anybody can make a mistake, this lapse of judgment would be serious enough to warrant at the least a suspension and at the most dismissal, especially in these politically correct times.

If nothing more happens to Irvin, he should consider himself very fortunate. On the other hand, there will be a segment of viewers who will perceive ESPN to be lacking backbone in not disciplining Irvin for comments that were degrading and offensive despite being said in jest.

Guest mongoloido
I heard his apology on the radio the other day, but didn't know what he was apologizing for.

I don't know about the racial aspects of the statements. It's a little silly to make the case the guy has to be part African American to be an athlete, but whatever... Mostly, I'd be pissed if some jackass on the radio was saying a long dead relative of mine was some whore. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking, but that's what I found to be really nasty in all of that.

Guest oldschooler
I agree with Lance McAlister`s take on this subject...

[quote][size=5][b]The playbook for dealing with race comments [/b][/size]

I'm intrigued by the continuing conversation about what Michael Irvin said nine days ago about Cowboy's QB Tony Romo and his athletic ability.
"doesn't look like that type of athlete. But he is....I don't know...there's some brother down in that line somewhere...his great-great-great-great grandma ran over in the hood or something went down.......If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn......"

I hear debate about a double standard. But this is what is being missed by people.
The outrage is not over the comments as much as the reaction to the comments.

Can you imagine if John Kruk had said the same thing about Ryan Freel? This would be day nine of Kruk's unemployment.

There is a very simple and logical solution......just decide once and for all....for all of us.
How should we react? Gather Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton at the table with Fuzzy Zoeller and Steve Lyons and lets hammer it out.

Decide if we are going to laugh this stuff or if we are going to become outraged and fire the person. But it's ALL or NOTHING. All of us get outraged or ALL of us laugh.

The point is the disparity....ask Jimmy the Greek or Al Campanis. Don't ask Irvin...he's still employed.
I'm happy to share a laugh with Jesse over Irvin......or....I'll make the protest sign and walk with hand in hand with Al.

Just decide. I'll be waiting.[/quote]

[url="http://www.lance1530homer.com/blog.asp"]http://www.lance1530homer.com/blog.asp[/url]

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='396080' date='Nov 29 2006, 10:02 AM']I think this whole "Romogate" is being blown out of proportion due to Irvin's lapse in politically correct judgement. [b]Nothing malicious was intended.[/b] Irvin should only be repremanded for his shitty broadcasting style.[/quote]

The same could be said for Jimmy the Greek.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='396080' date='Nov 29 2006, 10:02 AM']I think this whole "Romogate" is being blown out of proportion due to Irvin's lapse in politically correct judgement. Nothing malicious was intended. Irvin should only be repremanded for his shitty broadcasting style.[/quote]

x2

[quote name='Jason' post='396108' date='Nov 29 2006, 10:19 AM']The same could be said for Jimmy the Greek.[/quote]

I definitely see your point, but my impression was that Irvin was saying what he was saying in jest more than anything. Jimmy was dead serious, although I don't think his statements were "malicious", for lack of a thesaurus on hand, either. Regardless, if nothing else, all comments by the aforementioned were stupid.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='396143' date='Nov 29 2006, 12:25 PM']I definitely see your point, but my impression was that Irvin was saying what he was saying in jest more than anything. Jimmy was dead serious, although I don't think his statements were "malicious", for lack of a thesaurus on hand, either. Regardless, if nothing else, [b]all comments by the aforementioned were stupid[/b] .[/quote]

That is the key..Personally I could care less if Irvin got the axe, Ron Burgandy he's not.

If ESPN didn't fire Irvin after he got arrested for crack possession, I'm sorry for carrying his friend's crack :lol: , (don't you hate it when the cops catch you with your friend's crack, talk about a killjoy) then they aren't going to fire him for saying something stupid. I'm not sure if you guys pay alot of attention to Irvin but he makes a habit of saying stupid shit, as a matter of fact he's almost guaranteed to say something ignorant everytime he's on T.V.

So, if you guys want Irvin's head on platter then be my guest. Maybe ESPN can replace him with a real journalist.

It's never going to change. When making comments about race, blacks are always seen as either making an observation or just fucking around. And whites' comments are seen as a deep, deep hatred for whatever race or ethnic group they're talking about.

[quote name='Hooky' post='396172' date='Nov 29 2006, 03:40 PM']It's never going to change. When making comments about race, blacks are always seen as either making an observation or just fucking around. And whites' comments are seen as a deep, deep hatred for whatever race or ethnic group they're talking about.[/quote]

History may play a role in that sort of thinking

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Hooky' post='396172' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:10 PM']It's never going to change. When making comments about race, blacks are always seen as either making an observation or just fucking around. And whites' comments are seen as a deep, deep hatred for whatever race or ethnic group they're talking about.[/quote]

yeah you white guys have it soo tough :1violin: , man it must suck to be a white man.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='396183' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:32 PM']yeah you white guys have it soo tough :1violin: , man it must suck to be a white man.[/quote]

:lol:

Did you ever see Chris Rock's Bigger and Blacker where he made the comment about how the white cripple wouldnt trade places with him and he's rich (and Im butchering it as I havent seen it in a few years) saying "ima ride this white thing out, see where it takes me."

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick
he should be fired... lets not be hypocritical or make excuses, even if they apply... what he said, if the tables were turned, would have gotten any other commentator fired immidately... imagine:

boomer esiason: "McNabb doesn't look think like most black quarterbacks," Esiason said. "But he is - I don't know - there's some chinese down in that line somewhere - [maybe] his great-great-great-grandma lived in the hills of Kentucky for him to become so smart."

forget history, forget the irvin story... imagine if this was the story and how different it would be being portrayed? irvin should be fired... point blank... for nothing else, so we are all not hypocrites...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='396197' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:54 PM']:lol:

Did you ever see Chris Rock's Bigger and Blacker where he made the comment about how the white cripple wouldnt trade places with him and he's rich (and Im butchering it as I havent seen it in a few years) saying "ima ride this white thing out, see where it takes me."

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img][/quote]

that is funny but he is underestimating the power of pussy and money... i'd trade w/ him...

I knew if I looked a bit I'd find it.

[quote][img]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/rock_chris_cp_4908228.jpg[/img]

Racism everywhere.
Who's the maddest people? White people.

Not y'all. Y'all all right. You paid money to see me, we cool. The feud is over.

No, you watch the TV, watch 60 Minutes. You see white people pissed off, man.

Man, the white man thinks he's losing the country.

You watch the news: ''We're losing everything. We're fucking losing. Affirmative action, and illegal aliens...
and we're fucking losing the country.''

Losing? Shut the fuck up. White people ain't losing shit.

lf y'all losing, who's winning?

lt ain't us.

lt ain't us. Have you driven around this motherfucker?

lt ain't us.

Shit, there ain't a white man in this room that would change places with me.

None of you would change places with me. And l'm rich!

That's how good it is to be white.

There's a white, one-legged busboy in here right now...that won't change places with my black ass.

He's going, ''No, man, l don't wanna switch. l wanna ride this white thing out. ''See where it takes me.''[/quote]

Irvin should be fired on general principle for being a fucking shitty sports commentator. If not that, then for having a crack pipe in his car (oh wait, I forgot, it was his friend's and he left it there, because he was getting "counseling" from Irvin... right).

If ESPN wouldn't fire him for either of those two excellent reasons then he sure as hell isn't getting fired for "joking" about how whites aren't as athletic as blacks. And he won't be because ESPN needs him; he lands interviews with "troubled" guys like T.O. for the network because they "relate" to him.

Anyway, I agree with this: [url="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16097491.htm"]link[/url]

[quote]Michael Irvin certainly thought he was being funny when he suggested on an ESPN radio show the other day that Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo must have some black ancestry or he wouldn't be such a successful athlete.

He wasn't, even though Irvin laughed his way through the segment on the show in which he also inferred that one of Romo's maternal ancestors must not only have been a slave holder but had relations with one of the slaves.

'Great, great, great, great Grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn,' Irvin said.

The comments didn't get much attention, maybe because the racial police were too busy working the Michael Richards case. Or maybe it was because ESPN -- the same conglomerate that gave us 24 hours nonstop analysis of Bobby Knight cuffing a player in the chin -- didn't replay it because this involved one of their own.

Forget the 'If this was a white guy talking about blacks' argument because it's trite, overused, and doesn't fit. [u][b]The real wonder is why ESPN continues to employ a less than exemplary role model who has nothing to say but can't stop saying it.[/b][/u][/quote]

All this is just the white male dominated media wanting blood. The "good ole boy network"
is venting frustration because modern society will show them the heavy hand when they
forget they are on air and express their honest opinions on minorities.

Yet this black guy, can mention slavery and imply there may be black people in a
white quaterback's lineage?

Oh the horror!!!!

I'm sure the pain and hurt caused by Irvin's comments are keeping many a white people
from sleeping. How could he ?!? The nerve of this Irvin guy, saying something so offensive.

By the way, what exactly was so offensive about it, because I forgot?

This entire situation is so ironic, it's almost humorous. I can't tell which is more amusing.

A black man, whose descendants suffered and fought hundreds of years of racism and ignorant
stereotypes, uses a racist ignorant stereotype on a white guy. :o

Or the whites, whose descendants used the ultimate double standard in this country (racism)
to unfairly treat blacks for hundreds of years, are now outraged because they feel that
there is a double standard against them now. :o

Funny stuff. :rolleyes:

I'll just sit back and watch and see how long the circus continues.

[quote name='sneaky' post='396309' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:32 PM']All this is just the white male dominated media wanting blood. The "good ole boy network"
is venting frustration because modern society will show them the heavy hand when they
forget they are on air and express their honest opinions on minorities.

Yet this black guy, can mention slavery and imply there may be black people in a
white quaterback's lineage?

Oh the horror!!!!

I'm sure the pain and hurt caused by Irvin's comments are keeping many a white people
from sleeping. How could he ?!? The nerve of this Irvin guy, saying something so offensive.

By the way, what exactly was so offensive about it, because I forgot?

This entire situation is so ironic, it's almost humorous. I can't tell which is more amusing.

A black man, whose descendants suffered and fought hundreds of years of racism and ignorant
stereotypes, uses a racist ignorant stereotype on a white guy. :o

Or the whites, whose descendants used the ultimate double standard in this country (racism)
to unfairly treat blacks for hundreds of years, are now outraged because they feel that
there is a double standard against them now. :o

Funny stuff. :rolleyes:

I'll just sit back and watch and see how long the circus continues.[/quote]

So you believe the only good white athletes have descendants that raped black slaves?

I tell you what... with how good clemens pitches, his grandmother must have fucked the latino pool boy.

[quote name='sneaky' post='396309' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:32 PM']All this is just the white male dominated media wanting blood. The "good ole boy network"
forget they are on air and express their honest opinions on minorities.[/quote]

Uh actually sneaky you're way off base here. The "real media" has barely shown any outrage over this.

Also from bigger and blacker (and precedes the other one)...

[quote][img]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/rock_chris_cp_4908228.jpg[/img]

Racism everywhere, everybody pissed off.
Black people yelling, ''Racism.''

White people yelling, ''Reverse racism.''

Chinese people yelling, ''Sideways racism!''

And the lndians ain't yelling shit 'cause they dead.

So everybody bitch about how bad their people got it.

Nobody got it worse than the American lndian.

Everybody need to calm the fuck down.

lndians got it bad. lndians got it the worst.

You know how bad the lndians got it?
When's the last time you met two lndians?
You ain't never met two lndians.

Shit, l have seen a polar bear ride a fucking tricycle in my lifetime.

l have never seen an lndian family that's chilling out at Red Lobster.

Never seen it.

Everybody wanna save the environment.
Shit, l see trees every fucking day!

l don't never see no lndians.

l went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year.

They didn't have enough lndians for that shit.

They had a bunch of Pilgrims.

When it came time for the lndians, they had three real lndians...and the rest was a bunch of Puerto Ricans with feathers in their hair.

What the fuck!

Shit, l know Puerto Ricans when l see them.

You can't slip a Puerto Rican by me.

That's not Pocahontas, that's Jennifer Lopez![/quote]

Archived