2007 Mock Draft

Guest Tigris

[url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html[/url]

Just something to help get us by until Sunday. Damn, has it seemed forever since the Bengals last played?

Plus, I like to see these because it gives me a better understanding of who the top players in college are (i don't watch a ton of college ball)... plus, it never hurts to scout early and know a little bit more than your friends about the draft. ;)

[quote name='Tigris' post='402024' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:20 AM'][url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html[/url]

Just something to help get us by until Sunday. Damn, has it seemed forever since the Bengals last played?

Plus, I like to see these because it gives me a better understanding of who the top players in college are (i don't watch a ton of college ball)... plus, it never hurts to scout early and know a little bit more than your friends about the draft. ;)[/quote]
[b]I like Tank a lot. He would be a great pick!!![/b]

Guest oldschooler
I hate talking about the draft during the season.

I could see it, if the Bengals were mathematically eliminated. But they`re not.

Anyway, this is horrible..

[quote]Despite bringing in veteran Sam Adams [b]the Bengals are still among the worst rush defenses in the league and are giving up over 120 yards per game on the ground,[/b] which just isn't acceptable for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The big problem for Cincy is that while they have a bunch of solid players on the defensive line they don't have any real impact players or difference makers so the time may be right to invest a first rounder in the position. There isn't a player in the country has helped himself more than "Tank" Tyler this season and he might now be a first round pick next April, just like Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo were in 2006.[/quote]

The Bengals are ranked 15th in rushing Defense. That`s hardly "among the worst". And they are allowing
114 yards per game. Last time I check, 114 doesn`t equal "over 120" ...

Guest mongoloido
Do we really think Tank is the guy for this team? At 6'2", 305, he might be a bit small for our needs... particularly if you're of the school of thought that we're trying to move to a 3-4.

I like the Buster Davis guy from Florida State. I know we won't get him, but he's a shorter guy that's really fast (Odell, Ray Lewis) and could turn out to be a pretty good LB if he has a decent DL in front of him. Plus, he has a cool name.

Interesting stuff. It's always fun to see the early favorites, but as we know, the draft board changes so much after the season, with the All-Star practices and games, Combine, and on-campus workouts.

Adrian Branch really impresses me, but I think LaMarr Woodley's a helluva player, too. He's relatively short at 6-1, and not a speed demon like, say, Freeney is, but he makes a ton of big plays. Michigan actually has several good LBs, including Harris and Crable.

Other defenders that would look good in stripes include DBs Reggie Nelson, LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin (he's a terrific ST player, in addition to being a very good DB), and LB Paul Posluszny, who gets in on a ton of plays. Not sure how many of them would be available at the Bengals' spot, though.

Another good CB they didn't list is Tarrel Brown of Texas. He's a bit of a knucklehead, but he's a very good cover corner with a lot of speed. For that matter, the other starter at Texas, Aaron Ross, is a good corner as well. Brown is a 3-year starter, and Ross has played a lot in his career also.

Brohm won't enter the draft, which sucks for us... he may have been taken before we pick and that would take up an extra slot for a better player to fall our way.

I'm hoping that all these young QBs (of course Quinn), Russel, Troy Smith, Stanton have huge workouts leading up to draft day. I'd love to see about 4 QBs picked before we go... wow, the talent that would drop to us.

Is Chris Leak worth mentioning? Palko from pissburgh? Chad Henne? The Edwards guy from Stanford? Carson's little brother? John Beck, BYU?

Anyone warrant enough attention to garner recognition for the top couple of rounds?

[quote name='mongoloido' post='402033' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:35 AM']Do we really think Tank is the guy for this team? At 6'2", 305, he might be a bit small for our needs... particularly if you're of the school of thought that we're trying to move to a 3-4.[/quote]

The writer probably has no clue about the talk of a 3-4. But don't 3-4s usually have pretty beefy ends? I don't know how fast he is, though.

[quote name='texbengal' post='402037' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:41 AM']Interesting stuff. It's always fun to see the early favorites, but as we know, the draft board changes so much after the season, with the All-Star practices and games, Combine, and on-campus workouts.

Adrian Branch really impresses me, but I think LaMarr Woodley's a helluva player, too. He's relatively short at 6-1, and not a speed demon like, say, Freeney is, but he makes a ton of big plays. Michigan actually has several good LBs, including Harris and Crable.

Other defenders that would look good in stripes include DBs Reggie Nelson, LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin (he's a terrific ST player, in addition to being a very good DB), and LB Paul Posluszny, who gets in on a ton of plays. Not sure how many of them would be available at the Bengals' spot, though.

Another good CB they didn't list is Tarrel Brown of Texas. He's a bit of a knucklehead, but he's a very good cover corner with a lot of speed. For that matter, the other starter at Texas, Aaron Ross, is a good corner as well. Brown is a 3-year starter, and Ross has played a lot in his career also.[/quote]

Knucklehead, you meaning off-the-field problems?

If so, I doubt Marvin picks him. He's been under heat most the offseason for taking guys like that.

[quote name='Tigris' post='402039' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:46 AM']Brohm won't enter the draft, which sucks for us... he may have been taken before we pick and that would take up an extra slot for a better player to fall our way.

I'm hoping that all these young QBs (of course Quinn), Russel, Troy Smith, Stanton have huge workouts leading up to draft day. I'd love to see about 4 QBs picked before we go... wow, the talent that would drop to us.

Is Chris Leak worth mentioning? Palko from pissburgh? Chad Henne? The Edwards guy from Stanford? Carson's little brother? John Beck, BYU?

Anyone warrant enough attention to garner recognition for the top couple of rounds?[/quote]

I can't see JaMarcus Russell being a 1st round pick, and while Leak has some talent, he doesn't look like a possible future stud at QB like, say, Quinn and Stanton do.

Henne's a good player, but I'd guess he comes back next year. From what I've read, Jordan Palmer will be drafted, but not really high. Not so sure about the others you mention.

[quote name='Tigris' post='402044' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:49 AM']Knucklehead, you meaning off-the-field problems?

If so, I doubt Marvin picks him. He's been under heat most the offseason for taking guys like that.[/quote]

Right. He got busted earlier this year - actually, right before the OSU game, and got suspended for the game. It really hurt them, because he was gonna be the guy to shadow Ted Ginn, and it would've been a good matchup to watch.

[quote name='Tigris' post='402040' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:47 AM']The writer probably has no clue about the talk of a 3-4. But don't 3-4s usually have pretty beefy ends? I don't know how fast he is, though.[/quote]

You're right, 3-4 DEs are typically bigger guys. The prototype is 6-3 or more, 300+. The LBs in a 3-4 are typically heftier, too. 250+. The OLBs in a 3-4 are sometimes DE-sized for a 4-3, and are rush ends.

Parcells in Dallas re-made his defense that way. In fact, this past summer, he moved Greg Ellis, who had been a DE in the 4-3, to OLB in the 3-4 -- and before getting hurt, he did really well at it. Some think that if the Bengals went to a 3-4, Geathers would convert to OLB... and for that matter, Pollack was mentioned in that context also.

[quote name='Tigris' post='402047' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:54 AM']I forgot Drew Tate. Maybe I just heard of some of these guys because OSU played them... and maybe they really aren't that good.[/quote]

I think Tate's a good player, but I wouldn't put him in the Quinn/Stanton class.

[quote name='texbengal' post='402045' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:51 AM'][b]I can't see JaMarcus Russell being a 1st round pick[/b], and while Leak has some talent, he doesn't look like a possible future stud at QB like, say, Quinn and Stanton do.

Henne's a good player, but I'd guess he comes back next year. From what I've read, Jordan Palmer will be drafted, but not really high. Not so sure about the others you mention.[/quote]

I sure can. The guy has great size, and an arm to rival Carson's. I think he has a very bright future. He has eligibility left, and it would benefit him to come back, but 1st round wouldn't shock me even this season, based on potential alone.

I think Tank would be a great fit. He's only 300ish pounds, but he definitely has the frame to pack on more pounds if he needs to. He is incredibly strong, and would be a great fit at nose tackle.

JaMarcus Russell is most definitely a first round pick if he declares. He has incredible arm strength, and is very comparable to Daunte Culpepper coming out of college.

Drew Tate and Chris Leak will probably not even be drafted, and Drew Stanton has pretty much played himself out of the first round, and maybe even the first day.

Buster Davis is a great college player, but I don't think his game will translate well to the pros. He's strictly only a middle linebacker, and his speed is below average.

Here's how I would rate the top 32 players eligible for the draft, that I think have a very good chance of declaring:
1.) QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
2.) RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma Jr.
3.) WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech Jr.
4.) OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
5.) DT Alan Branch, Michigan Jr.
6.) DE Gaines Adams, Clemson
7.) CB Leon Hall, Michigan
8.) WR Dwayne Jarrett, USC Jr.
9.) OT Jake Long, Michigan Jr.
10.) S LaRon Landry, LSU
11.) RB MarShawn Lynch, Cal Jr.
12.) OT Sam Baker, USC Jr.
13.) WR Ted Ginn, Ohio State Jr.
14.) QB JaMarcus Russell, LSU Jr.
15.) OLB Paul Poslusnzy, Penn State
16.) DT Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State
17.) S Reggie Nelson, Florida
18.) DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU Jr.
19.) WR Jeff Samardijiza, Notre Dame
20.) DE Charles Johnson, Georgia Jr.
21.) OT Levi Brown, Penn State
22.) CB Darrelle Revis, pissburgh
23.) S Michael Griffin, Texas
24.) OG Justin Blaylock, Texas
25.) CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno State
26.) ILB Patrick Willis, Mississippi State
27. ILB Brandon Siler, Florida Jr.
28.) WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina Jr.
29.) DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville
30.) DE Quentin Moses, Georgia
31.) RB Michael Bush, Louisville
32.) TE Zach Miller, Arizona State Jr.

You all have said a lot.

Akili has some good opinions.

Russell is a first Rder. Easy. Your rankings are even good, except Moses is too low and Puz is too high.

Buster Davis has NO speed. I disagree about Stanton. I don't like Chris Leak as an NFL player.

Our division Rivals getting good players is inevitable. That's why I cheer them on when they're not playing us.

Frankly, I want Ravens over Chiefs. We have a better chance of getting the wildcard, and if the Ravens win the division, then THEY get the hard schedule next year.

And you want the Steeler's and Browns to win too so their picks are lower. I'd love to see both teams win out, with the exception of New Year's Eve.

BTW, is it crazy for me to want to draft Ted Ginn? Don't forget, he's a dual threat returner.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='mtrbur' post='402110' date='Dec 6 2006, 01:13 PM']I really hope that the browns or any other team in our division do not get a chance to draft Adrian Peterson...[/quote]

Peterson has a boatload of talent and very gifted I know,but I think Marshawn Lynch will have a much better pro career.

Archived