Grimm Plays Follow the Leader with Whisenhunt

[quote]PHOENIX -- Russ Grimm was hired as the Arizona Cardinals' assistant head coach and offensive line coach Tuesday, two weeks after he interviewed for the head coaching position.

Grimm's hiring comes two days after erroneous reports that the pissburgh stealers had chosen him to replace retired coach Bill Cowher. Grimm wanted the stealers job but said he was happy to reunite with Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, a former stealers staffmate.

"It's about 23 degrees and snowing, so I'm looking forward to the weather," Grimm told reporters on a conference call from pissburgh.

Grimm interviewed for the Cardinals' and stealers' top jobs. After the Cardinals hired Whisenhunt, Grimm appeared to emerge as the leading candidate to succeed Cowher.

On Sunday, a published report in the pissburgh area said the club would promote Grimm. But the stealers instead hired Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Grimm seemed disappointed but wasn't bitter over the way events played out.

"Obviously, it was tough," Grimm said. "I thought I had a shot at it. Whatever the details are and things like that, I respect the decision that was made.

"It's time to move on," he added. "I'm thrilled to be in Arizona."

The 47-year-old Grimm will be charged with improving the Cardinals' offensive line, which drew heavy criticism during the team's 5-11 season.

"Obviously, I know Russ very well from our time together with the stealers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous," Whisenhunt said in a statement.

Grimm worked as an assistant with the stealers the last six seasons. He spent the previous 19 years with the Washington Redskins -- as an all-pro guard for 11 seasons (1981-91) and then as an assistant coach for eight (1992-2000).

Grimm is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He said he's not anxious about the Feb. 3 vote in Miami.

"I tend to concentrate on the things I have control over," Grimm said. "Something like that is exciting, but it's something that's out of my hands."

Grimm is the fifth assistant to join Whisenhunt's staff. He joins defensive backs coach Teryl Austin, linebackers coach Billy Davis, strength and conditioning coach John Lott and special teams coach Kevin Spencer.

Grimm said it wouldn't be strange to work for Whisenhunt after competing with him for top jobs in Arizona and pissburgh.

"I don't mind riding shotgun," Grimm said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press[/quote]
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740378"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740378[/url]

Maybe 14 sacks in two games had something to do with it....

[quote name='frankie martin' post='432087' date='Jan 24 2007, 06:10 AM']didn't want russ to stay anyways... there woulda been some bad tension between him and tomlin had he stayed on. I never wanted him as head coach either, although i was sorta pullin for whisenhunt. I'm with whoever the Rooneys pick though, haven't lead me wrong yet[/quote]

We'll see about Tomlin, but I'm hoping the law of averages works its way out with the stealers. They've only had 2 coaches the last 30 or so years. Most teams have had about 10-13 during that time frame so I'm think they are do for a coach to come in and put up multiple 4-7 win seasons and get canned. ;)

[quote name='Naptown Bengal' post='432346' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:30 PM']We'll see about Tomlin, but I'm hoping the law of averages works its way out with the stealers. They've only had 2 coaches the last 30 or so years. Most teams have had about 10-13 during that time frame so I'm think they are do for a coach to come in and put up multiple 4-7 win seasons and get canned. ;)[/quote]
the law of averages does worry me... hope youre wrong about it! We'll wait and see...

[quote name='Purple Predator' post='432434' date='Jan 24 2007, 05:33 PM']I really don't think Tomlin is fit for pissburgh. Tomlin's either gonna have to change his scheme or Tomlin will have to change the stealers' scheme.[/quote]

Well, as it stands the stealers are kinda pressed against the cap, with some key players in their 3-4 scheme getting up there in years, while others may be leaving in free agency (Joey Porter). They could be looking at a "rebuilding phase" as soon as 2008, in which Tomlin brings in his kind of defensive players through FA and the draft. Right now though, he can just let LeBeau run the same scheme he's been running for years. He doesn't have to change the scheme and the fact that he said publicly he was going to keep LeBeau is an indication of that.

The Vikings fans I know on other boards seemed to think Tomlin would make a good HC and none of them wanted him to go which is probably a good sign for you (compare that to how us Bengals fans feel about our defensive coordinator). If I were a stealers fan I'd be more worried about replacing the offensive staff, mainly Whisenhunt but also Grimm and other assistants that are leaving.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='432437' date='Jan 24 2007, 05:38 PM']Well, as it stands the stealers are kinda pressed against the cap, with some key players in their 3-4 scheme getting up there in years, [b]while others may be leaving in free agency (Joey Porter). [/b] They could be looking at a "rebuilding phase" as soon as 2008, in which Tomlin brings in his kind of defensive players through FA and the draft. Right now though, he can just let LeBeau run the same scheme he's been running for years. He doesn't have to change the scheme and the fact that he said publicly he was going to keep LeBeau is an indication of that.

The Vikings fans I know on other boards seemed to think Tomlin would make a good HC and none of them wanted him to go which is probably a good sign for you (compare that to how us Bengals fans feel about our defensive coordinator). If I were a stealers fan I'd be more worried about replacing the offensive staff, mainly Whisenhunt but also Grimm and other assistants that are leaving.[/quote]
:afropic: :2rave: :D :thumbsup:

Anyway, I never really thought Whisenhunt was gonna be a good OC. Their offense was run kinda like ours has been over the years. That one receiver formation is a bitch. But it will still probably be hard to replace, I agree. They're really gonna have problems the next few years.

[quote name='frankie martin' post='433654' date='Jan 27 2007, 11:30 AM']he could only dream to be as classy as chris henry ;)[/quote]
Or even Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis for that matter! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='434033' date='Jan 28 2007, 07:54 PM']agreed, he still has a ways to go before he get to henry's level ;)[/quote]

I don't recall Chris mocking the career-threatening injury of an opposing player.

Did I miss that?

[quote name='JC' post='434027' date='Jan 28 2007, 06:45 PM']Or even Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis for that matter! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img][/quote]
Remind me again what Jamal did to insult someone or to harm someone's health.

And Ray's innocent. You'll hardly ever hear him trash talking about another player to the media, either.

[quote name='Purple Predator' post='434104' date='Jan 28 2007, 11:56 PM']Remind me again what Jamal did to insult someone or to harm someone's health.

And Ray's innocent. You'll hardly ever hear him trash talking about another player to the media, either.[/quote]
Remind me again what Chris did to insult anyone? Smoked a little weed.. I admit he almost had to beat ike taylors ass...that was about it.

And ray is always trash talking...that bitches mouth is always running.

[quote name='JC' post='434147' date='Jan 29 2007, 07:09 AM']Remind me again what Chris did to insult anyone? Smoked a little weed.. I admit he almost had to beat ike taylors ass...that was about it.

And ray is always trash talking...that bitches mouth is always running.[/quote]
hey nothin wrong with smokin a lil weed :afropic:
the drinking with underage girls isn't really insulting anyone i suppose... as a parent i can only say what is right for my own children, but for me i think that was inappropriate. But I'm no saint and we all make mistakes, it's no biggie, dude was ribbin on joey so i decided to rib on chris, it's all in fun

And yes, i respect ray ray as a player, but that dude is always talkin shit. He's God's linebacker :whistle:

[quote name='frankie martin' post='434254' date='Jan 29 2007, 02:21 PM']well i was unaware of this. I'll take your word for it though, if he did then it was a classless move. No less classless than wishing death on someone, i suppose....[/quote]

I agree, and its much different when people do it on the internet vs. real life.

Poor Martha Fleishman

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_458766.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...n/s_458766.html[/url]

[quote name='JC' post='434147' date='Jan 29 2007, 07:09 AM']Remind me again what Chris did to insult anyone? Smoked a little weed.. I admit he almost had to beat ike taylors ass...that was about it.

And ray is always trash talking...that bitches mouth is always running.[/quote]
He pulled a gun on someone, so...

And note that I said to the media. It gets him fired up when he's in the game. I don't mind that. When players trash talk about other players to the media is when I mind it. It's classless. That's basically a sucker punch.

[quote name='frankie martin' post='434252' date='Jan 29 2007, 02:19 PM']And yes, i respect ray ray as a player, but that dude is always talkin shit. He's God's linebacker :whistle:[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah, he got out of hand with that one. You can hardly call that trash-talking, though.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='434257' date='Jan 29 2007, 02:26 PM']I agree, and its much different when people do it on the internet vs. real life.
[b]Poor Martha Fleishman

[url="http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_458766.html"]http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburgh...n/s_458766.html[/url][/quote][/b]
She should move somewhere else. Everyone would love her. :D

Archived