Should Larkin be in the HOF

eskimo

Larkin in Hall of Fame?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Larkin in Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No

I say hell yeah Larkin should be in the Hall of fame. He was a great shortstop and I consider him to be the one person that I think of when I think of the reds in my lifetime(since 88). He is a 12 time all star. He won a few old gloves. He was the NL MVP in 1995. He won the World Series with the reds in 1990. I say Barry should definitly be in the HOF.

I am a ... well ok I'm not a BIT of a homer, I'm a huge Barry homer, he was my favorite Red growing up. That being said, Ill try to look at it objectively. I equate Barry with Wade Boggs, he was never a awe inspiring player but he was the best at his position after Smith retired, and he put up the numbers just like Boggs did.

So yes he should be.

On a unrelated side note, the Yankees are ruining baseball with their spending. Sorry I know your a fan, but its true, there is no more competition.

I would love for Larkin to make the hall of fame, but I don't see it happening. Had he been able to stay healthy for more of his career, I think he would have had a better shot.

Add to that the recent power surge at SS, he doesn't compare as well to his contemporaries as he would have. And, while he was an excellent defensive SS (and should have won more Gold Gloves than he did) he wasn't as much better as the competition than Ozzie was for most of his career.

So, sad to say, I think he just misses.

i was asking myslef the same question but

i believe he should make it into the hall with time. definatley not first ballot but. carrer batting avg of .296 i think, played for 19 seasons, won a championship

maybe its jsut me being a homer but i think he deserves in

Guest 34inXXIII
I, too, am a biased Barry Larkin fan and I would love to see him be elected into the Hall of Fame. He was an MVP and a World Champion and remained with one team - one small market team - his entire 19-year career despite the huge impact free agency has had on the game during his time in the league. However, I can see this being a borderline callRight off hand, I don't know who will be on that first ballot with him, so he may have an advantage there (thanks, Rocket, for going one more season).

[quote]On a unrelated side note, the Yankees are ruining baseball with their spending. Sorry I know your a fan, but its true, there is no more competition.[/quote]

Let's make something clear here...the Yankees aren't ruining baseball any more than the Red Sox, Angels, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers are, all of whom had payrolls at least twice that of the Reds in 2004. Scapegoat the Yanks all you want, but they are merely a symptom of true problem - Major League Baseball's horrible financial structure. Tell me, do you really believe the Red Sox' spending would decrease significantly if the Yankees only spent $50M per season?

Guest 34inXXIII
Of course that's the competition now, because that's what the system allows. And don't believe for a second that the Reds wouldn't be doing the same thing if they could generate enough revenue to allow it. This is not one team's fault; it's one league's fault. The Yankees are the easy target because they have the highest payroll, which makes it unfortunate that the Red Sox won the Series since the breaking of the curse overshadows that they had far abd away the second highest payroll. At least if the Yankees would have won it would have reinforced what is wrong with MLB.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Feb 17 2005, 03:33 AM']i guess 1 percent passed out before they could vote.
[right][post="48134"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If you look closely, the ESPN poll [b]ALWAYS[/b] adds up to 99%.

I think Larkin belongs. He's got a ring and an MVP. He played for 19 years and for one team...which he captained. Was the first 30-30 shortstop. Won multiple gold gloves and silver slugger awards. On and on and on...

If guys like Phil Rizzuto, Pee Wee Reese, and Ozzie Smith are in the hall then there is no question that Larkin belongs...Concepcion too, for that matter.

Hey i thought this was about barry larkin...as far as it goes the yankeess give what the players want n thats money...there a very few loyal players out there who play to play...you get a cap n you get that...but if you were to poll the players i bet you more than you could believe would dream to wear the stripes...back to barry though he was loyal n i respect that...he couldve left long ago but he didnt til that team left him...he could be at the reds doing what hes going to be doing for washington spreading knowledge...dont damn the yankees til you look at the rest of the mlb

Archived