BENGALS 2007 2ND ROUND PICK KENNY IRONS

Guest oldschooler

Im excited about this pick. Good runner...probably quicker and can break off some bigger games and more then likely a bigger threat in the pass game.

But i watched the College showcase show and im not sure if it was him or his brother...but the guy has a huge ego. I hope he doesn't run his mouth to much.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='JC' post='478342' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:37 PM']Im excited about this pick. Good runner...probably quicker and can break off some bigger games and more then likely a bigger threat in the pass game.

But i watched the College showcase show and im not sure if it was him or his brother...but the guy has a huge ego. I hope he doesn't run his mouth to much.[/quote]
I think both. After all of his big runs, he was jawing at someone (our pick). He's a talker, I believe.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Tigris' post='478339' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:34 PM']Was Irons the third back selected?????

So... if the players are drafted in order of how good they are, is it fair to say we got the 3rd best running back in the country in the middle of the second round?[/quote]

pretty much.

I"m not a huge fan of the pick, but its a good move if Perry really does end up on the PUP list. This offense could be without both Chris' for the first 8 games. If that happens, this will end up being a good pick.

Plus, Rudi isn't getting any younger. He'll turn 28 this year. That's not too old for a RB, but everyone knows RB's decline after they hit 30. We were going to need a new starter down the road anyway, and it wasn't going to be Perry at this point.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Soundwave' post='478292' date='Apr 28 2007, 07:56 PM']I didn't think that was why we signed him. I was pretty sure going into the draft we would take another RB, even though I was thinking Booker or Wynn.[/quote]

I thought they would drafte a RB too, just not in the 2nd round.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='478300' date='Apr 28 2007, 07:59 PM']Who thinks we don't need help at the RB position?

Rudi isn't very effective anymore, and Perry is alwasy hurt.

I am glad we spent a first day pick on a RB.[/quote]

Ummmm, Rudi scored 12 TD`s last season.
But the main reason he wasn`t very "effective", was because Levi was out 11 games,
Braham missed 14 games, Bobbie Williams missed 3 games and Willie was banged up . . .

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Jungle1' post='478346' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM']So, who is getting cut this year....Watson or Perry? No way a 2nd rounder ends up on the practice squad. On second thought, knowing Marvin, Perry will be on IR all year and maybe back in 08.[/quote]

I think Perry is going to land on the PUP and miss what, the first I think 6 games or is it 8? After that, Watson will probably be cut unless Perry get's IR'ed.

Guest oldschooler
Link to the audio of the Conference call with Irons . . .

[url="http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=nfl/nfl/open/bengals/wmdemand/07draft-2_audio.WMA&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx"]http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=nfl/nfl/o...ms?mswmext=.asx[/url]

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Jungle1' post='478346' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM']So, who is getting cut this year....Watson or Perry? No way a 2nd rounder ends up on the practice squad. On second thought, knowing Marvin, Perry will be on IR all year and maybe back in 08.[/quote]
Perry is PUP for first so many weeks (6? - can't remember). Irons will be evaluated by then. Decision will be made by the time he gets back. Don't forget, Chris can also play some WR. I could see us (if healthy) lining him up in the slot at times if he isn't put on the PUP list.

A backfield of Rudi, Perry, and Irons sounds pretty good to me. If only everyone can stay healthy someone can be used as trade bait later (probably Perry)/

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478349' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:41 PM']pretty much.
I"m not a huge fan of the pick, but its a good move if Perry really does end up on the PUP list. This offense could be without both Chris' for the first 8 games. If that happens, this will end up being a good pick.

Plus, Rudi isn't getting any younger. He'll turn 28 this year. That's not too old for a RB, but everyone knows RB's decline after they hit 30. We were going to need a new starter down the road anyway, and it wasn't going to be Perry at this point.[/quote]
Anyone know the age of Irons off the top of your head?

[quote name='Tigris' post='478356' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:44 PM']Perry is PUP for first so many weeks (6? - can't remember). Irons will be evaluated by then. Decision will be made by the time he gets back. Don't forget, Chris can also play some WR. I could see us (if healthy) lining him up in the slot at times if he isn't put on the PUP list.

A backfield of Rudi, Perry, and Irons sounds pretty good to me. If only everyone can stay healthy someone can be used as trade bait later (probably Perry)/[/quote]

Perry has not done enough to have much trade value

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Tigris' post='478358' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:45 PM']Anyone know the age of Irons off the top of your head?[/quote]

He`s 23, will be 24 in September . . .

Born Sept. 15, 1983 … Resides in Dacula, Ga.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='478263' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:39 PM'][b]i wanted a RB, not sure him but i wanted a RB. we'll see how he does, but that says a lot about how they feel about chris perry.[/b][/quote]

I wanted a RB as well...And I never believed that we could get this guy, so I'm pretty happy. I also have faith in the Bengals' ability to scout RBs.

[quote name='texbengal' post='478275' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:48 PM']This kid is a home run hitter. He's really shifty, is great in the open field, and is fun to watch. He can block, and I saw him on one of those pre-draft skills competition catching passes. And he can catch, though I'm sure he'll need reps because he didn't get a lot of passes at Auburn. I think he's gonna be good, and I'm excited that he'll have a great RB coach in Jim Anderson who has proven, time and again, that he knows talent and can develop RBs.

So, sometimes the draft doesn't go as planned. It helped them in round 1 to get Hall, and I suspect it didn't in round 2. So Irons was there and they took him.

I don't think Piscatelli is good enough to be a top 50 pick. He looked stiff, movement-wise, to me, even though he had a great Combine. McBride would have been a guy I'd have taken a long look at, but time and again, Marvin and crew have shown me that they know talent.[/quote]

Definitely agree here...Irons is a home-run hitter, and we won't hear the WTF!! when he goes off for 3-4 TDs this season that we would NOT have gotten out of Watson.

I also agree on Piscatelli...A good athlete, but an overrated football player.

[quote name='ONYX' post='478306' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:03 PM'][color="#ff0000"][b]Irons could be the our Jerious Norwood of 2007.[/b][/color][/quote]

I think so too. :headbang:

BZ

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Tigris' post='478358' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:45 PM']Anyone know the age of Irons off the top of your head?[/quote]

Born: September 15, 1983.

so he's 23.

Apparently Jim Anderson the runningbacks coach said Irons reminds him of James Brooks but quicker. Unfortunately he said the same thing about Chris Perry when he got drafted. Lets hope Irons puts any injury woes behind him and becomes the James Brooks II we've been craving for, all these years.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='TheBZ' post='478365' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:48 PM']Definitely agree here...Irons is a home-run hitter, and we won't hear the [b]WTF!![/b] when he goes off for 3-4 TDs this season that we would NOT have gotten out of Watson.

BZ[/quote]

The "WTF" was because it was totally unexpected.
Not because I`m "unhappy" with the pick.
I was really surprised, because we have Rudi, Watson, Perry, Wilson and Whitehead.
I thought if they did draft a RB that it would be a 2nd day pick is all.

I said that you have to take the BPA, when talking about Ginn.
That would also hold true for players not named Ginn . . .

Guest BlackJesus
[center][size=5][i]"The Cincinnati Bengals Select Kenny Irons RB Auburn" [/i][/size]

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/Illusion/family_guy_brian_puke_2.gif[/img][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/Illusion/family_guy_peter_puke.gif[/img][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/Illusion/family_guy_brian_puke_1.gif[/img][/center]

I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this pick, as were none of the rest of you.

I was definitely heartbroken when David Harris (ILB) and Justin Durant (LB from Hampton) were taken right in front of our faces!!! :shakesfist:

But I got the thinking though. What about Buster Davis (LB from Florida State?) Yeah, he's a bit undersized but plays LARGE!!! :thumbsup:

Then this goes down!

Maybe the reason that they didn't go that direction, is because they have something up their sleeves with a potential signing of someone named Edgerton Hartwell next week :rolleyes:

This was a definite curveball, that's for sure!!!

:afropic: :afropic: :afropic:

[color="#FF0000"][b]People want to hate now, but these are the same people that have never seen a Bengal running back break
off a 60+ yard touchdown, the last few years. As i said earlier, the haters will be on Iron's nutsack after he
takes one to the house.[/b][/color]

Guest BlackJesus
[center][size=4][quote name='oldschooler' post='478172' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:04 PM']Resides in [u]Dacula[/u], Ga.[/quote][/size]

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]That figures .... because he sucked the life blood out of me [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img][/b][/size][/font][/center]

[quote name='sneaky' post='478392' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:03 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]People want to hate now, but these are the same people that have never seen a Bengal running back break
off a 60+ yard touchdown, the last few years. As i said earlier, the haters will be on Iron's nutsack after he
takes one to the house.[/b][/color][/quote]

[b]once again homie, im already on his nutsack :) so when he takes it to the house make sure you remember me saying i liked this pick :wave:[/b]

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='BATTLECAT' post='478388' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:01 PM']I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this pick, as were none of the rest of you.

I was definitely heartbroken when David Harris (ILB) and Justin Durant (LB from Hampton) were taken right in front of our faces!!! :shakesfist:

But I got the thinking though. What about Buster Davis (LB from Florida State?) Yeah, he's a bit undersized but plays LARGE!!! :thumbsup:

Then this goes down!

Maybe the reason that they didn't go that direction, is because they have something up their sleeves with a potential signing of someone named Edgerton Hartwell next week :rolleyes:

This was a definite curveball, that's for sure!!!

:afropic: :afropic: :afropic:[/quote]

I think that had Buster Davis been an OLB, you may have seen him picked. We weren't looking to draft a MLB though. Buster's 40 time was also pretty weak.

I'm listening to the video conference now, it looks like Kenny Irons will play a part in the return game.

Archived