BENGALS 2007 2ND ROUND PICK KENNY IRONS

Guest oldschooler

Guest Tigris

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='478396' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:05 PM'][center][size=4][/size]
[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]That figures .... because he sucked the life blood out of me [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img][/b][/size][/font][/center][/quote]

your fat ass from utah is still on the board. hope... and hope a lot!!!

maybe he'll be there in the 4th

long live Kenny Irons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='478382' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:57 PM']The "WTF" was because it was totally unexpected.
Not because I`m "unhappy" with the pick.
I was really surprised, because we have Rudi, Watson, Perry, Wilson and Whitehead.
I thought if they did draft a RB that it would be a 2nd day pick is all.

I said that you have to take the BPA, when talking about Ginn.
That would also hold true for players not named Ginn . . .[/quote]

I hear that...And the reference to 'WTF' was in general...Not specifically for you.

BZ

Guest BlackJesus
[quote][center][img]http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/photos/20060726/71811.jpg[/img]
[size=4][u][b]Kenny Irons[/b]
RB, Auburn
War Room analysis[/u][/size]

[img]http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/r/warroom/super99/super-hdr.gif[/img]
[img]http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/r/warroom/super99/super-3.gif[/img][img]http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/r/warroom/super99/super-7.gif[/img][/center]

Overall grade: 7.5

Position rank: 4
Blocking: 1
Durability: 17
Hands/routes: 6
Inside running: 17
Outside running: 2

NFL comparison:
Warrick Dunn, Falcons

[b]Post-draft analysis:[/b] After selecting a high-character player in cornerback Leon Hall the Bengals continued the trend by picking up Irons. Irons will give Cincinnati a good change-of-pace back and a nice threat in the passing game. He just needs to stay healthy. If he bulks up he could eventually become the man for the Bengals.

[b]Strengths:[/b] Is a great athlete. Accelerates to full speed in a blink, and shows the agility to make would-be tacklers miss. Shows great vision and instincts to find holes. Runs hard on every snap, and keeps feet moving to run through arm tackles. As a receiver, shows good hands and is dangerous after the catch. In pass protection, is smart and productive; consistently identifies the blitz, picks out his man and stops him.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Is thin. Must add 10-15 pounds to handle NFL pounding, but hasn't worked hard in the weight room. Durability is a major question; never started for a full college season and was dinged up (ankle/leg) as a senior. Lacks elite explosiveness and breakaway speed. Doesn't always run with good body lean, limiting effectiveness after contact. Lacks the size and strength to consistently break tackles.

[b]Bottom line:[/b] Irons burst on the scene halfway through his junior season and became a dominant runner in the tough SEC. He has all the talent to be a top NFL back, but the question is whether he has the drive, commitment and durability. If he doesn't bulk up, he won't reach his potential as a Day 1 pick.

[b]Vinnie Iyer analysis[/b]
Cincinnati has had great success with one former Auburn running back, Rudi Johnson, so why not take another to be his backup? Another Kenny, Watson, isn't the answer, and consistent injury problems seem to have Chris Perry's NFL career in serious jeopardy. Irons provides a big-play speed complement to Johnson's powerful between-the-tackles style.[/quote]

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]Durability is a major question; never started for a full college season and was dinged up (ankle/leg) as a senior.[/quote]

:blink:

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='TheBZ' post='478406' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:13 PM']I hear that...And the reference to 'WTF' was in general...Not specifically for you.

BZ[/quote]

:headbang:

Link to the video of Marvin`s 2nd round Press Conference . . .

[url="http://www.bengals.com/media/index.asp?multimedia_id=1333"]http://www.bengals.com/media/index.asp?multimedia_id=1333[/url]

[quote name='Tigris' post='478401' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:10 PM']your fat ass from utah is still on the board. hope... and hope a lot!!!

maybe he'll be there in the 4th

long live Kenny Irons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)[/quote]

Yeah but BJ should hope we dont get him so he doesnt jinx it.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='478416' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:19 PM']:blink:[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]BJ, that statement is misleading. The main reason why Irons never started a full season is because
of guys named Ronnie Brown and Cadillac.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Patmo' post='478298' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:59 PM']Got to trust Marvin.Unfortunately,I think this pick sucks ! I see what Marvin's doing but question his reasoning.[/quote]

im with you, the pick disturbs me, but i can see the reasoning here:

1. Chris perry is 50/50 for this season and has been below that so far in his career.

2. Rudi played inuured with pain meds last year, he had a bad back. watson cant carry any real load for any stretch.

so we have a quick, fast, injured guy

and a slower, work horse, also injured guy.

its unwise for us to give rudi 99.9% of the carries, risking his health and ultimately the teams future, we drafted perry to replace rudi, didnt happen, we've kept him cause rudi isnt going to last if we wear him out, he needs a 70/30 split with a SKILLED back, and we cant count on chris perry, and we cant risk going into the season with a quicny wilson type guy, so we needed another competitior, rudi is signed though 2009, so is chris perry, one of those two will play out that contract here with Irons in the fold. this next season will decide that, its not like perry has pussy DNA and cant ever completel a season, and its not like rudi is invincible, this year rudi could get hurt and perry could play all year. but both have a certai level of question mark to them.

the picks surprised me big time, as i figured watson was who we would "go to war with" its not unlikely that rudi/perry/irons make the team and watson goes job hunting in july/august

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
i love this pick with all the defenders gone.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='478300' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:59 PM']Who thinks we don't need help at the RB position?

Rudi isn't very effective anymore, and Perry is alwasy hurt.

I am glad we spent a first day pick on a RB.[/quote]
we rarely agree, but you are DEAD on here.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='478428' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:32 PM']im with you, the pick disturbs me, but i can see the reasoning here:

1. Chris perry is 50/50 for this season and has been below that so far in his career.

2. Rudi played inuured with pain meds last year, he had a bad back. watson cant carry any real load for any stretch.

so we have a quick, fast, injured guy

and a slower, work horse, also injured guy.

its unwise for us to give rudi 99.9% of the carries, risking his health and ultimately the teams future, we drafted perry to replace rudi, didnt happen, we've kept him cause rudi isnt going to last if we wear him out, he needs a 70/30 split with a SKILLED back, and we cant count on chris perry, and we cant risk going into the season with a quicny wilson type guy, so we needed another competitior, rudi is signed though 2009, so is chris perry, one of those two will play out that contract here with Irons in the fold. this next season will decide that, its not like perry has pussy DNA and cant ever completel a season, and its not like rudi is invincible, this year rudi could get hurt and perry could play all year. but both have a certai level of question mark to them.

the picks surprised me big time, as i figured watson was who we would "go to war with" its not unlikely that rudi/perry/irons make the team and watson goes job hunting in july/august[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I disagree Go. Perry is in danger here, not Watson.

Utimately, Perry is making 1st round money, and Watson is not. The Bengals do not like paying good money to
players who rarley play.

Also,Watson has value on ST. I believe the Bengals are hoping
that Perry can be healthy enough to pass a physical sometime during the preseason, then the Bengals will attempt
to trade him for a 4th rounder to a team that is desperate for a running back. That ofcourse, is the best case scenario.

If that is not possible, it would not shock me if the Bengals had some kind of injury settlement with Perry, and
released him, shortly after training camp.[/b][/color]

they just said it on FOX19 that Rudi is safe and that they think that Perry isn't ! sneaky is right. Perry is gettig paid 1st round money sittin on the bench hurt, Kenny is producing more and is healty [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] keep Kenny or let him go ?

Guest OzBengal
This all stems back to the Chris Perry pick. You make one bad pick and then a few years later you are forced to make another bad pick to try and fix the problem. Here comes the 30th ranked defense again.

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='OzBengal' post='478469' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:16 PM']This all stems back to the Chris Perry pick. You make one bad pick and then a few years later you are forced to make another bad pick to try and fix the problem. Here comes the 30th ranked defense again.[/quote]

:0stfu:

[quote name='ONYX' post='478461' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:06 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]I disagree Go. Perry is in danger here, not Watson.

Utimately, Perry is making 1st round money, and Watson is not. The Bengals do not like paying good money to
players who rarley play.

Also,Watson has value on ST. I believe the Bengals are hoping
that Perry can be healthy enough to pass a physical sometime during the preseason, then the Bengals will attempt
to trade him for a 4th rounder to a team that is desperate for a running back. That ofcourse, is the best case scenario.

If that is not possible, it would not shock me if the Bengals had some kind of injury settlement with Perry, and
released him, shortly after training camp.[/b][/color][/quote]

perry cap hit is 1.3 million, watsons cap hit, is $933k, i will be honest, 400k isnt putting anyones job in jeapordy more than anothers.

if perry is healthy he will be fighting for a job, his past has nothing to do with making us a better football team.

healthy perry > healthy watson

Rudi - Irons - Perry = $400,000 more than Rudi - Watson - Irons

chris perry is too inexpensive to cut loose, fortunetly/unfortunetly, all of our RB's are getting paid very fair pay, so it comes down to who can help the most, perry's past injuries make him no more prone to another one. he played in 14 games in '05, and averages 4.6 yards per carry and scores twice receiving, unless his injury is crazy serious and he is fucked, rudi/irons/perry is a much more dangerous combo than rudi/irons/watson.

perry was palying very watson like out of the backfield against the browns in '05, he is exactly what we want in the offense.

he is certainly on the fence, but i dont think this pick forces him out.his injury might, but that could ahve been the case regardless of who we drafted.

[quote name='OzBengal' post='478469' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:16 PM']This all stems back to the Chris Perry pick. You make one bad pick and then a few years later you are forced to make another bad pick to try and fix the problem. Here comes the 30th ranked defense again.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]This happens when a team strikes out on there first day picks. But if you really think about it, the reason why the
Bengals were ranked 30th was because of the Pollack and Thurman strikeouts due to injury and foolishness.[/b][/color]

in addition, TJ houshmanzilla played in just 8 more games his first three seasons than perry, scored 1 less TD, missed all but 2 games in 03, came back in 04 with that "breakout" year/6 good games, there is no reason perry cant do the same.

i think 4 years is the max "chances" you give a guy, if perry was mediocre and showed zero spark when he was ont he field, he would surely be gone, but he showed promise, i think he gets another chance if he can get on the field...

[quote name='OzBengal' post='478469' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:16 PM']This all stems back to the Chris Perry pick. You make one bad pick and then a few years later you are forced to make another bad pick to try and fix the problem. Here comes the 30th ranked defense again.[/quote]

Gimme a break. The Bengals had know way of knowing that Chris Perry was going to be injured so much. The guy was a freakin workhorse his last 2 years at Mich. The kid has a ton of talent he just ran into a stretch of badluck. Ship happens...

Too drunk to read through all the garbage posted about this pick, so I will just take a few posts I've read to help me stay coherent and make my point about Irons.

[quote name='WhoDey85' post='478195' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:09 PM']Not such a bad pick. Gives us that change of pace back we desperately need.

Day 1 Recap
Leon Hall
Kenny Irons
Ahmad Brooks (1st round value in the third)

We've addressed the defense and our backfield.[/quote]

Best way to look at this pick. If you look at it in context with all the other picks, it makes more sense. We got Hall, the most technically sound CB in the draft. We already had Brooks ala our 3rd round, and we got him with a year of professional training to boot.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478223' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:19 PM']Well I think Harris was on their board, and everyone knows that Marvin loved Durant. I really think Durant would have been our pick if he was still on the board.[/quote]

AP Player of the year is great and all, but I think that it would be a stretch at drafting Kevin Durant in the 2nd when he hasn't even played football before. (sorry. my pathetic attempt at drunken humor)

[quote name='Jungle1' post='478237' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:22 PM']Why take another RB with durability issues?[/quote]

Remember when we drafted Glass Jaw Perry? He was supposedly the most durable back in the draft. Now he can't stay healthy to save his life. Irons will turn into a real Soda Popinski for us.

Bottom line, I was left scratching my head about this pick as was everyone else. But, Marvin has been quoted as saying that the defense will improve upon itself out of sheer development. All these guys are young, and we did what we could in free agency. We couldn't improve our secondary any more with this pick, there were no quality DLinemen available at this time and we are stacked at LB, especially if we end up signing Hartwell.

Perry is a puss and needs to be replaced. As I read more and more about Irons' elusiveness and quick changing of gears, I can only picture one person-------- Barry Sanders. If we can have just a third down version of Barry, I would be happy with this pick. But everything else aside, I still tust Marvin and I am looking forward to what seeing this kid can do.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='478465' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:10 PM']they just said it on FOX19 that Rudi is safe and that they think that Perry isn't ! Onyx is right. Perry is gettig paid 1st round money sittin on the bench hurt, Kenny is producing more and is healty [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] keep Kenny or let him go ?[/quote]

If they said it on FOX19, it must be true!

We'll have to see how it shakes out...Perry's health will tell the tale. If he's healthy enough, he is MUCH more valuable than Watson.

BZ

Guest Tigris
[quote name='WD40' post='478493' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:36 PM']Too drunk to read through all the garbage posted about this pick, so I will just take a few posts I've read to help me stay coherent and make my point about Irons.
Best way to look at this pick. If you look at it in context with all the other picks, it makes more sense. We got Hall, the most technically sound CB in the draft. We already had Brooks ala our 3rd round, and we got him with a year of professional training to boot.
AP Player of the year is great and all, but I think that it would be a stretch at drafting Kevin Durant in the 2nd when he hasn't even played football before. (sorry. my pathetic attempt at drunken humor)
Remember when we drafted Glass Jaw Perry? He was supposedly the most durable back in the draft. Now he can't stay healthy to save his life. Irons will turn into a real [b]Soda Popinski [/b]for us.
Bottom line, I was left scratching my head about this pick as was everyone else. But, Marvin has been quoted as saying that the defense will improve upon itself out of sheer development. All these guys are young, and we did what we could in free agency. We couldn't improve our secondary any more with this pick, there were no quality DLinemen available at this time and we are stacked at LB, especially if we end up signing Hartwell.

Perry is a puss and needs to be replaced. As I read more and more about Irons' elusiveness and quick changing of gears, I can only picture one person-------- Barry Sanders. If we can have just a third down version of Barry, I would be happy with this pick. But everything else aside, I still tust Marvin and I am looking forward to what seeing this kid can do.[/quote]
what about mac????

Guest Tigris
[quote name='TheBZ' post='478496' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:37 PM'][b]If they said it on FOX19, it must be true![/b]
We'll have to see how it shakes out...Perry's health will tell the tale. If he's healthy enough, he is MUCH more valuable than Watson.

BZ[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

that just caught me as real funny for some reason. i immediately thought of ron burgundy for some reason.

[quote name='Tigris' post='478497' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:38 PM']what about mac????[/quote]

Which Mac? Big Mac? If you can find a McDonalds open right now, I'll buy if you fly.

If you're talking about the little albino, fuck him. I could never coerce his little ass to beat Soda Popinski. How fucked up is that? I could cheat my way straight to Tyson and whup his ass, but that Russian sumbitch pwned my ass like Richard Simmons every time.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='478477' date='Apr 28 2007, 11:21 PM']perry cap hit is 1.3 million, watsons cap hit, is $933k, i will be honest, 400k isnt putting anyones job in jeapordy more than anothers.

if perry is healthy he will be fighting for a job, his past has nothing to do with making us a better football team.

healthy perry > healthy watson

Rudi - Irons - Perry = $400,000 more than Rudi - Watson - Irons

chris perry is too inexpensive to cut loose, fortunetly/unfortunetly, all of our RB's are getting paid very fair pay, so it comes down to who can help the most, perry's past injuries make him no more prone to another one. he played in 14 games in '05, and averages 4.6 yards per carry and scores twice receiving, unless his injury is crazy serious and he is fucked, rudi/irons/perry is a much more dangerous combo than rudi/irons/watson.

perry was palying very watson like out of the backfield against the browns in '05, he is exactly what we want in the offense.

he is certainly on the fence, but i dont think this pick forces him out.his injury might, but that could ahve been the case regardless of who we drafted.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]400k does not seem alot, but we are talking about Mike Brown here.

Also, one has to keep in account, locker room chemistry. Meaning, I don't know about you guys, but I have the
feeling that Perry may be pretty salty right about now. He knows and the Bengals know that with the Irons pick,
Perry will not be the future of the Bengals.

This kind of situation could get ugly, if Perry stays. If he can get healthy, it will be in his best interest and the
Bengals' best interest to move him.............plus Mike Brown saves 400k :lol: [/b][/color]

Archived