***O.J. Tossed From Steakhouse on Derby Eve***

Guest ONYX

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='485209' date='May 10 2007, 09:27 PM']we used to go to school 2 weeks into june because we started after labor day. so this would still make sense.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Either that or you were in the middle of summer school, so that you could make it to the 4th grade.[/b][/color] :ninja:

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='485209' date='May 11 2007, 02:27 AM']we used to go to school 2 weeks into june because we started after labor day. so this would still make sense.
i didnt say i missed school to watch the trials. And now looking back June 12th of 94 is a Sunday, so i would have been home watching tv. I did miss school that week because i remember watching it on one of the national news stations over and over again. There is nothing on tv when you miss school and i somehow always get up to those higher numbered channels that i rarely watch when i miss school.[/quote]
Just bustin yer balls birthday boy... :whistle:

Shouldn't you be out getting some b-day head about now? :contract: WTF are you doing here?

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='484515' date='May 9 2007, 03:53 PM']and ive met with pete rose many times and many people think he is a piece of shit. i dont think so because he has always been nice to me. so there goes your stupid point. ive met ruby multiple times. he is an asshole and a piece of shit. he has been and probably still is involved in shady shit. he didnt do this for a point, he did it for publicity. he isnt a moron, just a piece of shit.

[b]OJ is not a murderer.[/b] I dont give a shit what you think. he wasnt found guilty and therefore he is innocent. Whether that is what i truly think or not doesnt matter because in the eyes of the law he is not guilty.[/quote]

To say he is not a murderer is to say you believe he didn't do it. If you were to say "he wasn't convicted of murder", then it wouldn't sound so much like you believe in his "innocence". You also dug your hole further when you said the civil verdict was bullshit.

Just because he wasn't convicted doesn't mean anyone has to respect, serve, or even acknowledge the guy. If you choose to, that's your right as well.

I can read just fine, thanks. ;)

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='485308' date='May 11 2007, 02:45 AM']To say he is not a murderer is to say you believe he didn't do it. If you were to say "he wasn't convicted of murder", then it wouldn't sound so much like you believe in his "innocence". You also dug your hole further when you said the civil verdict was bullshit.

Just because he wasn't convicted doesn't mean anyone has to respect, serve, or even acknowledge the guy. If you choose to, that's your right as well.

I can read just fine, thanks. ;)[/quote]
<_< fuckin typo of mine

:(

Guest ONYX

[color="#FF0000"][b]O.J. is innocent. :contract:

You damn racists !!!!![/b][/color]

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='485310' date='May 11 2007, 02:51 AM']Also, to answer the question...I was 17 in June of 94. I was a senior in high school during the trial, which didn't end until a few months after my graduation.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I was 21 and was one of those black college students doing the "cabbage patch" and the "running man" after
the verdict was read.[/b][/color] :dance: :dance: :dance:

:ninja:

For what it's worth, I think he killed them. But with that said, I really couldn't care less. What he did has zero effect on anything even remotely related to me. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with me I don't give a flying fuck what anyone does.
MULLY

Guest BengalBacker

OJ's fame made it a story. His money and fame allowed him to hire high profile lawyers, but this is why he was found not guilty.

[img]http://baldilocks.typepad.com/baldilocks/race_card.gif[/img]

This was only a few years after Rodney King, the riots and all that. The defense was all about race. OJ was set up by a department full of racist cops who created this elaborate conspiricy in a matter of minutes to plant evidence, rush to judgement, blah blah blah.

Fucking preposterous, and everyone knows it.

This was jury nullification based on white guilt, fear of reprisal and black retribution. The verdict was not based on any doubt about his guilt.

Although stupidity could have played a minor part. I remember one of the jurors being asked about the DNA evidence, and he said, " a lot of people got the same blood". <_<

Guest ONYX

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='485321' date='May 11 2007, 04:12 AM']OJ's fame made it a story. His money and fame allowed him to hire high profile lawyers, but this is why he was found not guilty.

[img]http://baldilocks.typepad.com/baldilocks/race_card.gif[/img]

This was only a few years after Rodney King, the riots and all that. The defense was all about race. OJ was set up by a department full of racist cops who created this elaborate conspiricy in a matter of minutes to plant evidence, rush to judgement, blah blah blah.

Fucking preposterous, and everyone knows it.

This was jury nullification based on white guilt, fear of reprisal and black retribution. The verdict was not based on any doubt about his guilt.
Although stupidity could have played a minor part. I remember one of the jurors being asked about the DNA evidence, and he said, " a lot of people got the same blood". <_<[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]It's a lot more complexed than that.......

#1. The LAPD and the crime lab made some serious flaws, such as contaminating the evidence.

#2. Mark Furhman destroyed the LAPD's credibility with the jury who still had the LA riots of '92, fresh in their
minds. Furhman was caught lying after his testimony.

#3. O.J. Simpson had bought himself the best legal team to represent a client that the country had ever seen. People
want to complain about the "race card" defense, as if it was some shameful or lame thing to do. But the reality was
that Simpson was facing life in prison and his defense team had to use every angle and every tool they had. From
a tactical standpoint, the "race card" defense was pure brilliance.

Cochran was able to assemble a jury that was largley minority. Then Furhman was caught on video saying the
N-word more times than Marcus, while he was discussing possible scenarios of how to plant evidence on gang
members because he wanted to impress some chick writing a screen play.

#4 The prosecution let the defense handle the glove........ and it didn't fit O.J.'s hand.

All the defense had to do was plant a seed in the jury that there was a reasonable possibility that O.J. was innocent. And
ultimatley, they were successful. In my opinion, Cochran was able to flip the script and instead of O.J. being on
trial, the LAPD ended up on the hot seat. And the jury gave the city a big "F-you" with it's verdict.[/b][/color]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='sneaky' post='485326' date='May 11 2007, 04:50 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]It's a lot more complexed than that.......

#1. The LAPD and the crime lab made some serious flaws, such as contaminating the evidence.

#2. Mark Furhman destroyed the LAPD's credibility with the jury who still had the LA riots of '92, fresh in their
minds. Furhman was caught lying after his testimony.

#3. O.J. Simpson had bought himself the best legal team to represent a client that the country had ever seen. People
want to complain about the "race card" defense, as if it was some shameful or lame thing to do. But the reality was
that Simpson was facing life in prison and his defense team had to use every angle and every tool they had. From
a tactical standpoint, the "race card" defense was pure brilliance.

Cochran was able to assemble a jury that was largley minority. Then Furhman was caught on video saying the
N-word more times than Marcus, while he was discussing possible scenarios of how to plant evidence on gang
members because he wanted to impress some chick writing a screen play.

#4 The prosecution let the defense handle the glove........ and it didn't fit O.J.'s hand.

All the defense had to do was plant a seed in the jury that there was a reasonable possibility that O.J. was innocent. And
ultimatley, they were successful. In my opinion, Cochran was able to flip the script and instead of O.J. being on
trial, the LAPD ended up on the hot seat. And the jury gave the city a big "F-you" with it's verdict.[/b][/color][/quote]

Sounds like you agree with me.

Guest ONYX
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='485327' date='May 11 2007, 05:11 AM']Sounds like you agree with me.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]To some degrees yes, but not about the "white guilt, fear of reprisal and black retribution" thing.[/b][/color]

Guest ONYX
[color="#FF0000"][b]As far as my opinion on O.J., I think he is both innocent and guilty.

I dont think he physically committed the crimes. As a matter of fact, I find it almost impossible for
a person that has never murdered before, to have commited that crime.

Nicole Simpson was virtually decapitated. Her killer had his knee on her back while he sliced through her
neck with a knive. Based on what I have read, the wound on her neck was cut so deep, it severed her
spinal cord.

Goldman was stabbed dozens of times, all over his head and body.

Think about it people, do you realize how difficult of a task that is to do for one person, without no one hearing or
seeing any sign of a struggle? Also think about the weapon of choice? A knive? If O.J .wanted to kill those two,
why didn't he just use a gun? Wouldn't that be easier to do, if you have never killed anyone before?

But wait, a gun makes noise and bullets and gun powder burns make easier evidence for police.

IMO, this was a professional hit, carried out by 2 or more assassins that were hired by O.J. I find it
hard to believe that someone as prissy as OJ, could have carve those two people up like that with such
merciless effencency.

Who ever killed Brown and Goldman, was not a first time killer. [/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='485329' date='May 11 2007, 06:41 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]As far as my opinion on O.J., I think he is both innocent and guilty.

I dont think he physically committed the crimes. As a matter of fact, I find it almost impossible for
a person that has never murdered before, to have commited that crime.

Nicole Simpson was virtually decapitated. Her killer had his knee on her back while he sliced through her
neck with a knive. Based on what I have read, the wound on her neck was cut so deep, it severed her
spinal cord.

Goldman was stabbed dozens of times, all over his head and body.

Think about it people, do you realize how difficult of a task that is to do for one person, without no one hearing or
seeing any sign of a struggle? Also think about the weapon of choice? A knive? If O.J .wanted to kill those two,
why didn't he just use a gun? Wouldn't that be easier to do, if you have never killed anyone before?

But wait, a gun makes noise and bullets and gun powder burns make easier evidence for police.

IMO, this was a professional hit, carried out by 2 or more assassins that were hired by O.J. I find it
hard to believe that someone as prissy as OJ, could have carve those two people up like that with such
merciless effencency.

Who ever killed Brown and Goldman, was not a first time killer. [/b][/color][/quote]

Hmmm, interesting. I never even thought about it being a hit. I just figured he did it. But like I said, I couldn't care less. He's not a menace to society. It's not like he's a serial killer on the loose. His was a crime of passion. Like Sam Kinison said in one of his routines. "I don't hit women. I UNDERSTAND IT!! I mean, I know what turns Mr. Hand into Mr. Fist!"
MULLY
Go OJ Go!!

[quote name='IKOTA' post='485350' date='May 11 2007, 09:33 PM']
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

[center][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9452/horsemk4.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='485312' date='May 11 2007, 02:53 AM']<_< fuckin typo of mine
:([/quote]

It's all good man, busting each others balls here is what we do. ;)

Back the the OJ thing....maybe it's the "cracka" in me, but I will never believe he's innocent. Not because he's black, but because they had a SUBSTANTIAL case against him, and Cochran and company were able to turn it from an "OJ vs. the state" case, into a "civil rights vs. LAPD" case. Kudos to Johnny because he was a great lawyer. I always liked the guy, even though he did set a guilty man free (but so do a good portion of lawyers...it's their job). There are very few lawyers who could ever hold a candle to that guy. He was smooth, witty, intelligent, sharp, and always had a great way of bending things his way. If there ever was a "lawyer hall of fame", I would definately expect him to be posthumeously (sp) nominated.

(Wait, did I just say I really liked and respected a black man?!....lol. Happens all the time...I'm color blind. We all should be.)

I was a bigtime OJ fan before the murders....loved him as an analyst, loved him in the Naked Gun series...and for awhile, I was in denial that he could be capable of murder too. I didn't want to believe it....part of me still doesn't.....BUT evidence is evidence.....there was more than enough to convict him, but the defense was able to poke enough holes in how it was collected to win. Kudos to them, jeers to the proscecution who crumbled under the spotlight.

At the very least, this has been a GREAT topic....it's definately brought up some old memories. Good points all around, even the ones I don't completely agree with.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Ruby rides O.J. media wave[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]'I'd rather create the news than react to it'[/b][/size]
BY CHUCK MARTIN | CMARTIN@ENQUIRER.COM

[img]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8104/93446656fe6.jpg[/img]
A photo of O.J. Simpson and Jeff Ruby once hung in his Ruby's restaurants but he took it down after the slayings. But it was O.J.'s almost-released book, "If I Did It," that was the last straw for Ruby.

It doesn't get much better than this:

Jeff Ruby on stage in the smoky haze of Straus Tobacconist on a Thursday morning - quoting Hamlet.

To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

The guys sitting around him cackle through their Cohibas.

"His publicist told him to say that," one says.

"Nah, it's Shakespeare," Ruby gruffly responds in his New Jersey brogue, flashing his Sinatra-blue eyes.

That's why he says he did it. It wasn't a publicity stunt, wasn't the rum and Red Bull drink he was sipping and it certainly wasn't because O.J. Simpson is black.

Ruby says he did it because he was being true to himself.

"He didn't get a conviction, so I followed my conviction," he says.

Much of America has now heard that.

In case you swore off TV, radio, newspapers, the Internet and trips to the water cooler last week, here's what the Cincinnati restaurateur did the day before the Kentucky Derby: Ruby asked Simpson, the former NFL star who was acquitted of murdering his wife and a Los Angeles waiter more than a decade ago, to leave his Louisville steakhouse.

Simpson and his party of guests left quietly, but after the story percolated on the gossip circuit, the news media caught wind early in the week, and the talk show requests began flying in at Ruby headquarters above his flagship restaurant, Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse, downtown.

Simpson's attorney later claimed that Ruby ejected his client based on race. The restaurateur denied that, which made it an even bigger story.

By Friday, Ruby, 59, had appeared on five national TV news shows, including "Nancy Grace" and "Fox & Friends" and at least a dozen radio talk shows. He hired two publicists just to handle his scheduling.

The man who owns five successful restaurants in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky - and is perhaps the region's biggest non-sports celebrity - has gone national. Much to Ruby's delight.

At Straus Thursday, the morning after his first TV appearances, on a breakfast of scrambled eggs and just three hours of talk show-deprived sleep, he is yakking on the phone with sportscaster Cris Collinsworth, a former Bengal and Ruby's partner at the Waterfront in Covington.

"I'd rather create the news than react to it," Ruby tells Collinsworth, loudly enough for everyone to hear.

"Yeah, we have a smoking section but we don't have a murderers section."

His audience laughs.

Amy Wilson of Alexandria recognizes Ruby from outside the door - or maybe it's his red Ferrari parked out front - and walks in to shake his hand.

"I'd love to do what he did," Wilson says. "Screw O.J."

[b]SUPPORT AND RESERVATIONS[/b]

Ruby says his office received 5,000 e-mails from as far away as New Zealand - by far, most supportive of him - and his company Web site received more than 20,000 hits.

On Wednesday alone, the Louisville steakhouse fielded 600 phone calls. One Vermont couple made reservations for later this month, saying they were coming to Louisville to eat there simply because Ruby stood up to O.J.

The incident will be good for business, Ruby says. Reservations were up 80 percent Thursday at the Waterfront; 60 percent at the Precinct. The exposure could be worth "millions," he says. But he is adamant that he didn't ask Simpson to leave for the publicity.

It all happened in less than 10 minutes, Ruby says. He was at the Louisville restaurant Friday night, to help oversee the crowd of customers - many of them celebrities - in town for Derby festivities.

Ruby was enjoying a drink - his second - and about to light his cigar when a "giddy" customer told him Simpson was in the restaurant. Neither Ruby nor his managers knew Simpson was there because he came in with a large party. The reservation wasn't in his name.

Ruby says he sat for a few minutes before deciding what he'd do.

Ruby says he walked over to Simpson's table and told him he wouldn't serve him. A former linebacker at Cornell University, Ruby, who is 6-foot, 220 pounds, says he was ready to tackle the Hall of Fame running back if necessary.

According to Ruby, Simpson said he understood, gathered his party and left. When a woman in the party, a woman Ruby believes was Simpson's date, confronted him, saying they had a "right" to eat there, Ruby says he told her:

"As a blonde woman, I'd be more worried about his right to murder you."

Chatter about the incident spread around the restaurant nearly as fast as the martinis. Some customers stood and applauded Ruby, Johnson says.

As he has explained since, Ruby says he kicked Simpson out not just because he believes he is guilty of murder, but because he wrote a book, "If I Did It," in which Simpson describes how he would have killed the couple. (The book was never released because of the controversy.)

"If he tries to profit off the murder of the mother of his children, that's enough for me," Ruby says.

Ruby acknowledges he has served Simpson before, even socialized with him. A picture of the men together used to hang in his restaurants. Ruby took the photo down after the 1994 murders.

Four years ago, Simpson ate at the Waterfront, and Ruby refused him nothing. The difference now, he says, is "the book."

The irony is that kicking out Simpson was somewhat antithetical to his success formula. For nearly 40 years since arriving in Cincinnati, Ruby has thrived on attracting sports stars to his restaurants - not asking them to leave.

He is known for operating pricey restaurants that specialize in prime steak, fresh seafood and beautiful people lingering at the bar. But Ruby got his start in Cincinnati in 1970 by managing several Holiday Inns.

Then an impressive, 22-year-old graduate of Cornell's School of Hotel Administration, Ruby learned to overachieve quickly. Growing up in Neptune, N.J., he worked in his mother's restaurants. She married four men - but never his biological father.

Unhappy, he ran away from home at 15 and supported himself as a cook. He found a father figure in a high school football coach, and improved his grades, earning a football scholarship to Cornell.

Perhaps this drive - and his affinity for sports - helped him escape a fate of hotel management. After moving to Cincinnati for the Holiday Inn job, he ingratiated himself with the town's sports celebrities, including Cincinnati Reds stars Johnny Bench and Pete Rose. They invested in his first restaurant, The Precinct in Columbia-Tusculum, which Ruby opened in 1981.

The Ruby formula was born: Bring stars - and beautiful women - to your restaurant in a medium-sized Midwestern town, and people will come.

Five years later, Bengals players Boomer Esiason and Collinsworth partnered with Ruby in the sprawling Waterfront, on the Ohio River in Covington.

In 1999, many doubted Ruby's wisdom in opening another steakhouse, this time downtown. But he proved them wrong, making it a destination for celebrities and out-of-town business travelers.

With this success, Ruby drew more acclaim - and controversy.

Many dislike Ruby for the same reasons he is successful - his hard-charging, no-nonsense style, the fact that he is a demanding employer who fires people on the spot.

His personality may have exacerbated problems in the summer of 2000, after several African-American groups protested the closing of downtown restaurants during the Jazz Festival. Ruby's steakhouse was one of at least a dozen restaurants that closed their doors that July weekend.

The Black United Front and other groups claimed the restaurants didn't want to serve African-American festivalgoers. Ruby and other restaurant owners said they closed because business historically declined during the festival.

The Greater Cincinnati Restaurant Association later apologized, but Ruby, characteristically, brought more attention to himself.

"I remember he was very belligerent and arrogant in a meeting with the restaurant association," says Jim Clingman, founder of the African American Chamber of Commerce and an officer of the Cincinnati NAACP. "We met with other restaurant owners and they didn't have the same kind of attitude."

Ruby's restaurant became a target for African-American picketers, and the racist perception of him grew when Ruby visibly supported the Cincinnati Police after the April 2001 riots.

[b]ACTIONS MISINTERPRETED[/b]

Lincoln Ware, a longtime African-American talk radio host at WDBZ-AM, wasn't surprised when listeners began calling him this week, after news of the Simpson incident broke.

"They were saying Jeff Ruby is a racist," Ware says. "I haven't seen any signs of him being a racist, but I think sometimes his arrogance comes across as racist."

One of the few media appearances Ruby missed this week was Ware's WDBZ show. Ruby was scheduled to be on the show Thursday, but canceled when he says he heard station employees were going to block his entrance.

Even though Ware and Clingman say they don't believe the Simpson incident was based on race, they and others agree hearing that a black man was refused service by a white person strikes an ugly, historical chord of discrimination with some in the African-American community.

"There are always lingering visions of Greensboro, N.C.," Clingman says, "of (African-American) students sitting in restaurants trying to get served."

"I think O.J. is guilty myself," Ware says. "But if I owned the restaurant, I wouldn't kick him out."

Ruby says that race was not a factor when he asked Simpson to leave because he served many African-American customers that night. In fact, former NBA great Michael Jordan and his party took Simpson's seats, he says.

"I'm not a racist," Ruby says. "My daughter went to the prom with a black guy. Would a racist let that happen?"

Many friends say Ruby's outspokenness is sometimes misinterpreted.

"He's a public figure who speaks his mind," says Jimmy Gibson, Ruby's corporate chef who has worked for him 12 years. "In the past, he has spoken his mind on situations and subjects to where people made it about race."

This year, Ruby entered into a business venture with Cincinnati musician Bootsy Collins, an African-American, to open a restaurant downtown called Bootsy Ruby's. Russell Driver, a partner in the project, says he's always felt comfortable working with Ruby.

"O.J. could've been purple or plaid and the same thing would've happened," says Driver, who is African-American.

Says friend and business partner Collinsworth: "Jeff can be a really tough guy, but he also has a big heart."

Just before 8 p.m. Thursday at his steakhouse, after doing yet another interview, for Channel 5, Ruby sits to eat dinner with Nick Urlage, a 16 year-old Highland Heights sophomore whom he calls his "surrogate son."

Ruby met Nick's older brother, Jake, four years ago and took him under his wing. The boys, who have five siblings, lost a father and a stepfather. Ruby takes them to the mall, to ball games and helps them focus on their schoolwork. The boys call him "Pop."

He has fostered several young men over the years, Ruby says. At least two were African-Americans.

"A boy this age needs a father figure," Ruby nearly shouts across the table.

He scowls when Nick orders his steak medium-well, and lectures him on how to cut the meat.

"Never take the easy road," he says. "Take the hard road. Work hard, study hard."

"When I walked over to O.J.'s table and asked him to leave, that was the hard road."

[b]Ruby's profile [/b]
Birthplace: Newark, N.J.

Residence: Mount Lookout

Family: Divorced; three children, Britney, 24, Brandon, 23 and Dillon, 19.

Whom he admires most: "Jeep" Bednarik, high school football coach

Biggest regret: The fact that he never made it in the NFL

Proudest moment: Getting accepted to Cornell University

Quote: "I go with my gut, my heart and my brain. I go with two out of three. My gut and my brain told me to kick him (O.J. Simpson) out, so I didn't even think about it."

[b]Ruby's restaurants [/b]
The Precinct: Columbia-Tusculum (opened 1981)

The Waterfront: Covington (1986)

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse: downtown (1999)

Carlo & Johnny: Montgomery (2001)

Jeff Ruby's Tropicana: Newport (2002)

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse: Belterra Casino Resort & Spa (2004)

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse: Louisville (2006)

[b]Simpson decides not to sue Ruby [/b]
O.J. Simpson won't take legal action against Jeff Ruby for booting him from a steakhouse on the eve of the Kentucky Derby after all, Simpson's attorney said Saturday.

Simpson, a Heisman Trophy winner and NFL star, was acquitted in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman, but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Simpson's lawyer, Yale Galanter, said Ruby is using the episode for publicity.

"If we had our druthers, this would have died that night and been over," Galanter said from his Florida office. "We are not pushing it."

[b]Associated Press[/b][/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070513/LIFE/705130378"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../LIFE/705130378[/url]

Archived