America ready for a third party ???

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3]
[b]It is obvious that the 2 party system in America has failed.. and many of the nuances of life can not be broken down into two neatly organized categories of right vs left. See the odd alliance recently of anti war liberals and free market libertarians. Not to mention that I think Americans are fed up with corporate control of both parties.

I have been thinking that American could possibly be ripe for a populist, isolationist, socially moderate/libertarian, mildly xenophobic 3rd party.

Let’s call this hypothetical party the “America first party” or AFP.

I would envision their platform something like this.

[color="#0000FF"][u]Economically: Populist [/u][/color]

- Lower taxes for the working poor and middle class … but higher taxes for the rich, especially corporations.
- A raise in tariffs and imported goods … and stiff penalties for corporations who outsource American jobs.
- A cut in welfare and social programs for adults, but an increase in social services for children
- Large investment in U.S. infrastructure
- 0 % interest on Student loans – subsidized by govt
- Universal health care for all Americans
- Raise in minimum wage to 8 $ hr

[color="#0000FF"][u]Politically: Isolationist & Nationalistic [/u][/color]

- A closure of most foreign Military bases and installations (including Germany & Japan)
- Stop policing the world with a drastic cut in military spending
- A very strict immigration policy of deportation and US Natl Guard on the US border.
- - A cap on immigration for 3 years … then decreased quotas with emphasis on “skilled” workers nor laborers.
- Mandating that English be the official language of America --- mandating that all US schools, forms, etc - be in English
- Strict punishment for companies who hire illegals
- Disentanglement from the Middle East and withdraw from blanket support for Israel
- Cut in foreign aid --- especially as it relates to military aid (see Egypt, Israel)
- Stop propping up puppets and dictators …. Reign in CIA

[color="#0000FF"][u]Socially: Moderate/Libertarian[/u][/color]

- Legal abortion in first trimester / illegal after that
- No to gay marriage / yes to civil unions
- Legalization of Marijuana / other narcotics stay illegal
- Lower drinking age to 18
- Decriminalization for prostitution / followed by strict regulation
- Gun laws stay the status quo

[center][size=4]So what does everyone think ??? And suggest your own third party platform that you believe would work (not necessarily what you would prefer) .... [/size][/b][/size][/font] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/center]

Guest CincyInDC
A third party must start by putting its members in Congress, not the White House. Parliamentary systems lend themselves to 3rd parties; our presidential system does not. Even in DC, which is arguably pretty fringe, our Statehood Green Party barely makes a showing for city council and our fake representative to Congress.

Economics: Corporatism

--commanding heights of economy are legal monopolies, with license from government
--Guilds are mandatory for trades and artisanships
--Boards are mandatory for professions
--all workers, professionals, laborers, etc. must have juridical "worker cards" to legally work; any disobediance to the State results in forfeiture of right to work
--those who are unwilling to work, or unemployable, and otherwise without means of support (no family, no friends, not charities, in other words, the homeless) will be rounded up and used in medical experiments; or, if possible, will be added to the Military Machine
--autarkic zone, with limited mercantilism limited to State Allies
--blue collar work strongly encouraged
--elimination of tangible money--move to Bank Cards for everything, with consuption tax taken at point of sale; also helps in eliminating black/grey market

Government: Principate

--a delibertive/advisory body composed of elite citizens, appointed by the Tribune/Historical Prism
--a representative assembly of the People, chosen randomly from among the citizenry via lottery
--a court system controlled by a Supreme Court of some type, but with final appeal or intervention by the Tribune/Historical Prism
--the Tribune, a figure running day-to-day business
--the Leader (Historical Prism), responsible for strategic direction and control, final and almighty source of authority; can also hold the tribuneship (Prismcy to be abolished upon death of Actium, use of Actium's Eternal Design book for all major decisions after his death

Foreign Policy: Expansionist, independent

--aggressive foreign policy
--withdrawal from UN
--treaties considered
--no perpetual allances
--expansionism if prudent or advantageous, but not for its own sake; ruthless supression of any resistance
--a cultivated network of client or vassal states
--extreme nationalism

Domestic Policy

--traditional values praised, but often flouted as expedient
--encouragement of reproduction; no "reproductive freedoms" as it is the death knell of society; demographics is destiny
--eventually a policy of forced unification of races into a single entity through mandatory interracial coitus
--vast spy network
--secret police
--control of schools by the Tribune/Historical Prism
--university an elite insitution--more laborer jobs means fewer go
--community groups controlled by the State, encouring participation
--state-controlled mass media
--private groups tolerated, but closely monitered
--scientific groups maintained by the state with specific goals
--architectual program to beautify cities
--Operation Clockwork Orange: distribute drugs laced with poison--those who use become violently ill and develop an aversion; additional uses will result in death

That's enough for now. It is paradise. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/19.gif[/img]

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='488384' date='May 18 2007, 07:15 PM']They have. His name is John McCain.

(TR is one of the most over-rated Presidents, imo. Better to unshoot McKinley!)[/quote]

And the basis of this opinion is...?

[quote name='sois' post='488155' date='May 18 2007, 10:15 AM']Having a national language is stupid. Just because you are too lazy to learn other people's culture doesn't mean you should take it away.[/quote]
I agree that we should more aggressively school our young in speaking foreign languages, much as other countries do in speaking English, but I also think that nationalizing the English language as our own isn't a bad thing at all. It IS our language in this country, and those that refuse to learn or speak conversational English should not be employed in positions where they may have to speak to an English-speaking American.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='488388' date='May 18 2007, 06:20 PM']And the basis of this opinion is...?[/quote]
Every president that has been assasinated is glorifed by history.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='488401' date='May 18 2007, 07:50 PM']Years of research which have persuaded me that McKinley's "History of the Tariff" is by far better than anything TR wrote, among other reasons.[/quote]

While I agree that McKinley's loss was great (what kind of human being, when shot, says "Don't hurt him" as his assassin is being apprehended???), I fail to see how your deference towards McKinley's writing overshadows the National Parks, the Panama Canal, the building of a modern navy, winning the Nobel Peace Prize while in office, etc.

I've done many years of research myself (including visits to every Presidential Museum except for Clinton's) and would be interested in hearing your "other reasons".

(And please read this as my having a genuine interest; not being a contrary prick :) )

[quote name='Elflocko' post='488404' date='May 18 2007, 09:12 PM']While I agree that McKinley's loss was great (what kind of human being, when shot, says "Don't hurt him" as his assassin is being apprehended???), I fail to see how your deference towards McKinley's writing overshadows the National Parks, the Panama Canal, the building of a modern navy, winning the Nobel Peace Prize while in office, etc.

I've done many years of research myself (including visits to every Presidential Museum except for Clinton's) and would be interested in hearing your "other reasons".
(And please read this as my having a genuine interest; not being a contrary prick :) )[/quote]

Cool. I'm going out shortly, but will be happy to discuss this in more detail. For the moment, I'll just say that I'm pretty much biased in favor of the Clay/Lincoln tradition, on one hand. While on the other, I'm a little underwhelmed by most appreciations of the importance of TR (including his early years as NY Commish and the crowd he hung out with.) As an adjunct, the efforts for which he won a Nobel Prize (the Russo-Japanese War negotiations) might be a good place to come back to, as this is part of the reason for why I think he jumped the shark.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='488129' date='May 18 2007, 10:48 AM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3]
[b]
Let’s call this hypothetical party the “America first party” or AFP.

I would envision their platform something like this.
[color="#0000FF"][u]Economically: Populist [/u][/color]

- Lower taxes for the working poor and middle class … but higher taxes for the rich, especially corporations.
- A raise in tariffs and imported goods … and stiff penalties for corporations who outsource American jobs.
- A cut in welfare and social programs for adults, but an increase in social services for children
- Large investment in U.S. infrastructure
- 0 % interest on Student loans – subsidized by govt
- Universal health care for all Americans
- Raise in minimum wage to 8 $ hr
[color="#0000FF"][u]Politically: Isolationist & Nationalistic [/u][/color]

- A closure of most foreign Military bases and installations (including Germany & Japan)
- Stop policing the world with a drastic cut in military spending
- A very strict immigration policy of deportation and US Natl Guard on the US border.
- - A cap on immigration for 3 years … then decreased quotas with emphasis on “skilled” workers nor laborers.
- Mandating that English be the official language of America --- mandating that all US schools, forms, etc - be in English
- Strict punishment for companies who hire illegals
- Disentanglement from the Middle East and withdraw from blanket support for Israel
- Cut in foreign aid --- especially as it relates to military aid (see Egypt, Israel)
- Stop propping up puppets and dictators …. Reign in CIA
[color="#0000FF"][u]Socially: Moderate/Libertarian[/u][/color]

- Legal abortion in first trimester / illegal after that
- No to gay marriage / yes to civil unions
- Legalization of Marijuana / other narcotics stay illegal
- Lower drinking age to 18
- Decriminalization for prostitution / followed by strict regulation
- Gun laws stay the status quo
[center][size=4]So what does everyone think ??? And suggest your own third party platform that you believe would work (not necessarily what you would prefer) .... [/size][/b][/size][/font] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/center][/quote]

I would vote for this party platform. I'm tired of voting for the lesser of 2 evils or which one I dislike the least.
Hubby Slim often votes for a third party.

One problem could be the too well established system. When Slim registered to vote, he couldn't vote in the primaries unless he declared a party. I don't think they would accept independent. That was a while ago, I might have the details wrong.

[quote name='Sophie Salee' post='488446' date='May 18 2007, 10:46 PM']I would vote for this party platform. I'm tired of voting for the lesser of 2 evils or which one I dislike the least.
Hubby Slim often votes for a third party.

One problem could be the too well established system. When Slim registered to vote, he couldn't vote in the primaries unless he declared a party. I don't think they would accept independent. That was a while ago, I might have the details wrong.[/quote]

In VA were an slightly open system. Anyone can vote in either primary, but if you vote in the Rep one you cant vote in the Dem one and vice versa.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='488410' date='May 18 2007, 08:24 PM']Cool. I'm going out shortly, but will be happy to discuss this in more detail. For the moment, I'll just say that I'm pretty much biased in favor of the Clay/Lincoln tradition, on one hand. While on the other, I'm a little underwhelmed by most appreciations of the importance of TR (including his early years as NY Commish and the crowd he hung out with.) As an adjunct, the efforts for which he won a Nobel Prize (the Russo-Japanese War negotiations) might be a good place to come back to, as this is part of the reason for why I think he jumped the shark.[/quote]

Looking forward to it.

I'm on-call for my job till Monday, but I'll try to check in and contribute as much as possible until Monday when I'll have some more free time.

Archived