Give me a fuckin' break

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875[/url]

Sheffield says Latin players easier to control than blacks
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 3, 2007, 4:17 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

Sheffield

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

According to a 2005 report by the University of Central Florida Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, only 8.5 percent of major leaguers were African-American -- the lowest percentage since the report was initiated in the mid-1980s. By contrast, whites comprised 59.5 percent of the majors' player pool, Latinos 28.7 percent and Asians 2.5.

so is he saying that latin americans are tools of the man and do what they say or that black people cannot be trusted in a work environment and are uncivilized?

Either way he is ignorant and does nothing to help any type or race relations

[quote name='whodey319' post='494816' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:02 AM']so is he saying that latin americans are tools of the man and do what they say or that black people cannot be trusted in a work environment and are uncivilized?

Either way he is ignorant and does nothing to help any type or race relations[/quote]
x2

ha.

this is the kind of stupid motherfucker who will spend all of his money in 5 years after he retires and start bitching that he didnt make enough because he was black, what a ridiculous, tho true, statement he makes

honestly, look at onyx, always causin a ruckus, while mexican bengal sits in the shadows and does what he's asked..

its there in black and white folks... in black and white

its science.

[img]http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/business/061001/loans1A.jpg[/img]

vs.

[img]http://www.ciw-online.org/images/images-Images/6.jpg[/img]

Guest ONYX
[quote name='whodey319' post='494816' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:02 PM']so is he saying that latin americans are tools of the man and do what they say or that black people cannot be trusted in a work environment and are uncivilized?

Either way he is ignorant and does nothing to help any type or race relations[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"][b]
Racist.[/b][/color]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494865' date='Jun 3 2007, 09:03 PM']x2[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Racist x2[/b][/color]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='494913' date='Jun 3 2007, 11:02 PM']ha.

this is the kind of stupid motherfucker who will spend all of his money in 5 years after he retires and start bitching that he didnt make enough because he was black, what a ridiculous, tho true, statement he makes

honestly, look at sneaky, always causin a ruckus, while mexican bengal sits in the shadows and does what he's asked..

its there in black and white folks... in black and white

its science.
[img]http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/business/061001/loans1A.jpg[/img]
vs.

[img]http://www.ciw-online.org/images/images-Images/6.jpg[/img][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Fuckin' Racist[/b][/color]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Whitey knows he cant fucks with El Negro.

BTW, Barry Bonds is GOD......................BLAAAAATTTTT !!!!!!!

[/b][/color]

[img]http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8470/160dj3.gif[/img]

Guest BlackJesus
[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Any difference if it does exist (I am not sure it does)... I would argue is more likely a cultural difference and not a genetically racial one.

Are Latino players on average more obedient and passive in their personalities ? Possibly.

What could this be attributed to ? I would argue cultural differences in family structure, upbringing, surroundings, & what principles are emphasized in them as children etc.

For example ... their are different cultural circumstances and embedded historical narratives that would affect the attitude and view of authority amongst a young black male in America ... versus a Latino player from the Dominican Republic. [/b]

[/size][/font]

Guest ONYX
[font="Palatino Linotype"][size=5][color="#0000FF"][b]Gary Sheffield's reveals Major League Baseball's conspiracy.

The conspiracy to keep out......African Americans.

According to Sheffield, "Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.........."[/b][/color]
[/size][/font]
[img]http://www.massport.com/about/press05/pic/c_song_ortiz2.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#00FF00"]White Man #1:[/color] So, David how do you feel about your new contract.
[color="#800080"]David Oritz: [/color]I am very happy, gracious.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #2:[/color] By the way David, would you mind cutting my backyard after the game.
[color="#800080"]David Ortiz:[/color] Uhhh......OK, no problem senor.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #3:[/color] Hey David my daughter is having a birthday party tomorrow, do you mind
coming over and parking some cars for us.
[color="#800080"]David Ortiz:[/color] No problem, I am team player.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #1:[/color] Thats my boy Puncho...err..I mean David.
[/i]
[img]http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-08/24822675.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#FF0000"]Gary Sheffield:[/color] Oh hell muthafukkin naw !!! Dwight, you see that shit?
[color="#000080"]Dwight Gooden:[/color] I wish a cracka would ask me some shit like that
[/i]
[img]http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/12/14/1103027995_5826.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#00FF00"]White Dude:[/color] You are now the richest pitcher in Boston.
[color="#800080"]Pedro Martinez:[/color] I am excited to be here.
[color="#00FF00"]White Dude:[/color] Hey Pedro, I was wondering if you could take your Dominican ass to the cafeteria
and bring me back a Latte and a cream cheese bagel.
[color="#800080"]Pedro Martinez:[/color] Ok, I guess, anything for the team.
[color="#00FF00"]White Dude: [/color]I love you fucking people.[/i]

[img]http://www.survivinggrady.com/sad.jpg[/img]
[i]"Oh hell muthafukkin naw !!!! I wish a cracka would...."
[/i]

[font="Palatino Linotype"][size=5][color="#0000FF"][b]"Where I'm from, you can't control us."

""These are the things my race demands"
[/b][/color][/size]
[/font]
[img]http://graphics.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/10.11_nyy_crash_get.jpg[/img]
[i]"Muthafukka say what? I got yo' cappuccino right here biyatch!!!"[/i]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='494921' date='Jun 3 2007, 11:35 PM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Any difference if it does exist (I am not sure it does)... I would argue is more likely a cultural difference and not a genetically racial one.
Are Latino players on average more obedient and passive in their personalities ? Possibly.

What could this be attributed to ? I would argue cultural differences in family structure, upbringing, surroundings, & what principles are emphasized in them as children etc.
For example ... their are different cultural circumstances and embedded historical narratives that would affect the attitude and view of authority amongst a young black male in America ... versus a Latino player from the Dominican Republic. [/b]

[/size][/font][/quote]

But that's all irrelevant. Do you think any black players are being held down in favor of latinos, for any reason?

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='494929' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:22 AM']But that's all irrelevant. Do you think any black players are being held down in favor of latinos, for any reason?[/quote]

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]I think managers want to win games ... and that they take everything into consideration.

Thus if a manager sees Lation players as harder workers, more obedient, more cohesive, and easier to control ... and thus thinks it will win him more games .... then YES I think they could possibly choose latino players over black players.

why is that so unbelievable ?

I know many business owners who prefer hiring latinos from other countrys because of their hardened work ethic over American blacks. Is that racist ? Yes. Does it occur all the time ? Of course. [/b][/size][/font]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='494938' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:44 AM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]I think managers want to win games ... and that they take everything into consideration.
Thus if a manager sees Lation players as harder workers, more obedient, more cohesive, and easier to control ... and thus thinks it will win him more games .... then YES I think they could possibly choose latino players over black players.
I know many business owners who prefer hiring latinos from other countrys because of their hardened work ethic over American blacks. Is that racist ? Yes. Does it occur all the time ? Of course. [/b][/size][/font][/quote]

Do you think that's happening? Do you agree with Sheffield that that's the reason for the decline in black players?

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='494941' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:48 AM']Do you think that's happening? Do you agree with Sheffield that that's the reason for the decline in black players?[/quote]

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Do I think it is a main reason for the decline ? No. Could it be a small contributing factor ? Sure.

I would say that a larger reason is the decline in popularity of Baseball amongst black youth that goes back several decades. Also economically baseball is an expensive game to play and get good at as a teenager ... and the better players go on trips with their clubs, have private couches, better equipment etc ... and these players have a lesser chance of being black than any other group. Conversely basketball only requires a ball and a hoop to get good at. Those items are not very expensive ... and you can hone your skills without leading the confines of your local neighborhood. [/b][/size][/font]

Guest ONYX
[color="#FF0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"][size=3][b]Since the 80's, Major League baseball has concentrated on developing talent in Latin America.
The league
has invested millions in baseball camp like facilities in countries such as the Dominican Republic. They target
the youth of these countries. Virtually all of these kids live in impoverished conditions. Conditions that would
make many American ghetto's, seem luxurious. To most of these kids, the only way out of poverty, is to make
it to the big leagues in the states.

At these facilities, equipment and instruction is given and games and drills are played all day while
scouts look on. The question no one seems to ask, is simply "why"?

Why is baseball investing so much money and time developing ball players in Latin America, when there
is plenty of untapped talent here in the states?

I think there is some weight to both BJ's and Sheffield's claims.

From a cultural stand point, players from Latin America will probably work harder, be more
dedicated, have more focus, take more shit and sign cheaper minor league contracts than
African Americans, because they simply have fewer options than African Americans.

This probably also explains some of Sheffield's claims where he implies that Latin players
are easier to control. Also, because of the history of racism in this country, today's African-American
will not respond well when they are being yelled at or berated by white coaches
or managers, but it probably does not effect a Latin player as much because there is not a history associated
that would make him take it personally and as I said before, he does not have a whole lot of options
because it's basically play ball or starve.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='494944' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:53 AM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Do I think it is a main reason for the decline ? No. Could it be a small contributing factor ? Sure.

I would say that a larger reason is the decline in popularity of Baseball amongst black youth that goes back several decades. Also economically baseball is an expensive game to play and get good at as a teenager ... and the better players go on trips with their clubs, have private couches, better equipment etc ... and these players have a lesser chance of being black than any other group. Conversely basketball only requires a ball and a hoop to get good at. Those items are not very expensive ... and you can hone your skills without leading the confines of your local neighborhood. [/b][/size][/font][/quote]
the bullshit meter is going out of control.

so your saying that black people arent good at baseball because they dont have money to practice. Yet people from 3rd world countries that take manmade rafts to get to the US to play baseball are loaded and able to travel and hone their skills that way?

If I were an employer I would want my "team" to be hard workers that do what I say. The team has to carry the focus and dedication of one mind. A group of "individuals" doesn't get you far in sports.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

The same talent but the latin player works harder and does whats asked of him? Seems like a no brainer to me.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is."

A self serving player that only does what benefits him? That sounds like a player I want on my team. :rolleyes:

Was there any fallout from this? Did he get suspended or anything? I can hardly find anything on this. Of course, I realize that the media isn't usually interested in a comment someone makes about a different race or ethnic group.

Most black youth prefer basketball or football. Because you can get more money initially in those sports. It's a lot harder to break into baseball because of the minor league system. Plus the team basically owns you for about 5 years once you make it to the bigs. But once you hit FA, baseball players stand to make much more than players in other sports.

I think it's the forbidden fruit thing. When there were still the Negro leagues, black players clamored to make it into the majors. Once the color line was broken, the sense of injustice no longer feeds the desire to play--now it's just love of the game/money. But the majority of blacks seem to love other games more, and think it is a better payday too.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='494938' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:44 AM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]I think managers want to win games ... and that they take everything into consideration.
Thus if a manager sees Lation players as [b]harder workers, more obedient, more cohesive, and easier to control ... and thus thinks it will win him more games [/b].... then YES I think they could possibly choose latino players over black players.
I know many business owners who prefer hiring latinos from other countrys because of their hardened work ethic over American blacks. Is that racist ? Yes. Does it occur all the time ? Of course. [/b][/size][/font][/quote]

wouldnt all those things make him the better player? i mean the guy who will hlep you win more games, is the fucking better player...

[quote name='sneaky' post='494928' date='Jun 3 2007, 11:18 PM'][font="Palatino Linotype"][size=5][color="#0000FF"][b]Gary Sheffield's reveals Major League Baseball's conspiracy.
The conspiracy to keep out......African Americans.
According to Sheffield, "Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.........."[/b][/color]
[/size][/font]
[img]http://www.massport.com/about/press05/pic/c_song_ortiz2.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#00FF00"]White Man #1:[/color] So, David how do you feel about your new contract.
[color="#800080"]David Oritz: [/color]I am very happy, gracious.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #2:[/color] By the way David, would you mind cutting my backyard after the game.
[color="#800080"]David Ortiz:[/color] Uhhh......OK, no problem senor.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #3:[/color] Hey David my daughter is having a birthday party tomorrow, do you mind
coming over and parking some cars for us.
[color="#800080"]David Ortiz:[/color] No problem, I am team player.
[color="#00FF00"]White Man #1:[/color] Thats my boy Puncho...err..I mean David.
[/i]
[img]http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-08/24822675.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#FF0000"]Gary Sheffield:[/color] Oh hell muthafukkin naw !!! Dwight, you see that shit?
[color="#000080"]Dwight Gooden:[/color] I wish a cracka would ask me some shit like that
[/i]
[img]http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/12/14/1103027995_5826.jpg[/img]
[i][color="#00FF00"]White Dude:[/color] You are now the richest pitcher in Boston.
[color="#800080"]Pedro Martinez:[/color] I am excited to be here.
[color="#00FF00"]White Dude:[/color] Hey Pedro, I was wondering if you could take your Dominican ass to the cafeteria
and bring me back a Latte and a cream cheese bagel.
[color="#800080"]Pedro Martinez:[/color] Ok, I guess, anything for the team.
[color="#00FF00"]White Dude: [/color]I love you fucking people.[/i]

[img]http://www.survivinggrady.com/sad.jpg[/img]
[i]"Oh hell muthafukkin naw !!!! I wish a cracka would...."
[/i]

[font="Palatino Linotype"][size=5][color="#0000FF"][b]"Where I'm from, you can't control us."

""These are the things my race demands"
[/b][/color][/size]
[/font]
[img]http://graphics.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/10.11_nyy_crash_get.jpg[/img]
[i]"Muthafukka say what? I got yo' cappuccino right here biyatch!!!"[/i][/quote]

man this is the funniest thing i have seen ever!
where did you find that funny picture of young gary sheffield
what is going on there?

• 7 years later...

Well, doing a quick search, this is the closest thing I could find without starting a new thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/11/13/im-a-beautiful-black-woman-with-a-white-husband-people-assume-im-a-prostitute-all-the-time/?tid=pm_pop

The online conversation about women of color being profiled as sex workers made me think about my own stories. The first time I was mistaken for a sex worker I was on my husband’s arm at an event in California four years ago. A man approached me, asking if he could buy me a drink. I declined, and he proceeded to whisper to me, “How much?”

In my naivete, I asked, “How much for what?” It wasn’t until I looked him in the eye that I understood exactly what he meant. I was speechless, angry and embarrassed. I hastily walked away while flashing the ring on my left hand, hoping to indicate that I was married. To this day, I wonder if he thought I was laying out my price.

I relived the incident in my head over and over again, almost excusing his behavior. Here I was, a tall, dark-skinned, thin, twenty-something woman on the arm of a white man in his mid-thirties. How mismatched and odd, I thought, we may have looked to some.

Our relationship now spans a decade. But that hasn’t stopped the repeated propositions a few times each yearJust last month, at another event, several male acquaintances propositioned me. Comments ranged anywhere from, “You’re  on the wrong arm, sweetie, I wish  I could go home with you…” to the incredibly forward, “We have this whole place to ourselves, it’ll be a shame if we don’t maximize our time here and slip away?” all said within 10 to 15 feet of my husband.

Until I began writing this piece, I never told my husband about any of these incidents because they were incredibly humiliating. I am not alone. This has happened to dozens of my friends and colleagues.

Archived