... *

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='506727' date='Jul 2 2007, 07:05 PM']Thats awsome. :thumbsup:[/quote]
x2

I read today that the upcoming visit by Mr [s]steroids [/s]Bonds to GABP has not been sold out. I am proud of the folks back home for not paying to watch this douche. (though I'm sure the Reds' crappy record is also a largely contribution factor :glare:)

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='IKOTA' post='506758' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:03 PM']I dont get all the hatred of Bonds........didn't/don't other players take steroids also, including pitchers?[/quote]

He was hated before he started taking steroids. He's a dick. His own teammates have always hated him.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='506758' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:03 PM']I dont get all the hatred of Bonds........didn't/don't other players take steroids also, including pitchers?[/quote]
how many of those guys are within reach of the most storied record of all time?

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='506724' date='Jul 2 2007, 01:55 PM'][center][img]http://boles.com/called/06/bonds.jpg[/img][/center][/quote]

That was from last year and was in Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love. What will residents of the Queen City do to make him feel welcome Tuesday through Thursday this week? I'll be at Wednesday's game booing him.

Guest Master Shake
Hank Aaron might have done steroids if they were around then. I mean, he was a competitor who fought for every edge he could, so why not? They didn't test for them.

I don't absolve Bonds of responsibility because ultimately he chose to take steroids, but to villify him like people are is to totally ignore that baseball created a culture that encouraged steroid abuse during the 1990's, and many, maybe even most, players were on it at some point. I think a lot of people want to delude themselves into believing it wasn't as bad a problem as it was, and they think Bonds can be a scapegoat for the entire era.

I mean, think about Bonds in 98 when he was watching McGwire and Sosa get all the fame for their homers when he knew he was a better hitter than either. It drove him to go for that extra edge that they and many others already were already enjoying.

Saying steroids isn't a big deal in baseball is ridiculous. But it's even more ridiculous to think hating on the cream of the generation of ballplayers will change or even hide what really happened.

Aaron needs to get off his high horse.

Anyone who exercises is "performance enhancing". Oh yeah, why do they give injured players steroids to help recovery? They should just allow all and any performance enhancing activities, even drugs. Those who want to be the best will take the most drugs/work out the hardest/die for glory.

[quote name='sois' post='506829' date='Jul 2 2007, 06:31 PM']Anyone who exercises is "performance enhancing". Oh yeah, why do they give injured players steroids to help recovery? They should just allow all and any performance enhancing activities, even drugs. Those who want to be the best will take the most drugs/work out the hardest/die for glory.[/quote]

How about we start allowing aluminum bats/corked bats/spit balls/etc...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='506761' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:10 PM']He was hated before he started taking steroids. He's a dick. His own teammates have always hated him.[/quote]
only a few and more hated jeff kent than barry bonds.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='506763' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:18 PM']how many of those guys are within reach of the most [b]POINTLESS[/b] record of all time?[/quote]
fixed.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='506981' date='Jul 2 2007, 11:55 PM']Just makes you appreciate [b]AROD[/b] even more. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img][/quote]
fixed.

[quote name='Ben' post='506858' date='Jul 2 2007, 06:27 PM']How about we start allowing aluminum bats/corked bats/spit balls/etc...[/quote]

Those activities CAN be regulated. The stuff I'm talking about has more to do with people. People are different. Some are stronger with others. Some like to exercise. Some can jump higher naturally. Either ban all performance enhancing activities (like working out) or allow them all.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Tigris' post='507409' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:23 PM']I don't have a thing against taking anything... the more homers the better. Keeps me entertained/[/quote]

In an open playing field I agree,meaning if they legalized everything fine,but if you have rules like present,and only the honest oblige ,that isn't right.As it is now ,they should have 2 separate record books .Pre steroid age and present.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='schotzee' post='507416' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:38 PM']In an open playing field I agree,meaning if they legalized everything fine,but if you have rules like present,and only the honest oblige ,that isn't right.As it is now ,they should have 2 separate record books .Pre steroid age and present.[/quote]

How I look at it...

Steroids weren't tested back then, so who knows if they were taking them? Did they even have them back in the day? Times have changed, technology has advanced. Things are different now. Dominant athletes are becoming younger and younger (tennis, golf for example) and more and more resources are becoming available to become the best athlete you can be (steroids, surgeries, energy drinks, other supplements). To me, it's not that big of a deal if a guy wants to take a loaded syringe in the ass every other week. Health risks aside, it could possibly make him become a better athlete... which in Bonds case = better job performance, more money, popularity, etc.

Looking at it from a "breaking the rules" perspective, yes, it is wrong and is cheating the league and other players in the league... but has Bonds tested positive for anything? I know there have been a lot of speculation and a lot of people that say first hand know he has taken them, but the company that he works for is yet to catch him.

Even if you do take steroids, it takes a tremendous amount of work to achieve anything. It's not like you can sit around and just get better/bigger, you really have to work for it... and work a lot.

In my opinion, I just don't see them as a bad thing, even if they are against the rules. Heck, I've always tried to find a way to cheat/give me an advantage in sporting events. I leave base early, hold every play, etc. to try and help my team win. Guess I'm not much for the rules... but anyway, whether he breaks the record or not (which it looks inevitable that he will), I don't really care... with or without steroid use.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='schotzee' post='507416' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:38 PM']In an open playing field I agree,meaning if they legalized everything fine,but if you have rules like present,and only the honest oblige ,that isn't right.As it is now ,they should have 2 separate record books .Pre steroid age and present.[/quote]
technically they werent illegal when everyone was taking them.

[quote name='Tigris' post='507423' date='Jul 4 2007, 01:02 PM']How I look at it...

Steroids weren't tested back then, so who knows if they were taking them? [b]Did they even have them back in the day?[/b] Times have changed, technology has advanced. Things are different now. Dominant athletes are becoming younger and younger (tennis, golf for example) and more and more resources are becoming available to become the best athlete you can be (steroids, surgeries, energy drinks, other supplements). To me, it's not that big of a deal if a guy wants to take a loaded syringe in the ass every other week. Health risks aside, it could possibly make him become a better athlete... which in Bonds case = better job performance, more money, popularity, etc.

Looking at it from a "breaking the rules" perspective, yes, it is wrong and is cheating the league and other players in the league... but has Bonds tested positive for anything? I know there have been a lot of speculation and a lot of people that say first hand know he has taken them, but the company that he works for is yet to catch him.

Even if you do take steroids, it takes a tremendous amount of work to achieve anything. It's not like you can sit around and just get better/bigger, you really have to work for it... and work a lot.

In my opinion, I just don't see them as a bad thing, even if they are against the rules. Heck, I've always tried to find a way to cheat/give me an advantage in sporting events. I leave base early, hold every play, etc. to try and help my team win. Guess I'm not much for the rules... but anyway, whether he breaks the record or not (which it looks inevitable that he will), I don't really care... with or without steroid use.[/quote]

They've had them a while. the Russians used to take them and it is even theorized that the Greeks took things that were believed to be enhancers (obviously not the same stuff) back in the times of the start of the Olympics.

Whether Bonds took them or not doesnt really matter. He has one of the greatest eyes, swings, and hand/eye coordination of anyone ever in baseball.

Guest Master Shake
Was at the game last night. 95% booed him, but I was one of the few who cheered. Funny that most of those booing came there to see him play, and he's the greatest player any of them will see.

Booing him won't change the past. I'm glad I was able to appreciate him without being blinded by the hate and I actually got to enjoy what is probably the last time I'll see him play.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='507990' date='Jul 6 2007, 11:20 AM']Was at the game last night. 95% booed him, but I was one of the few who cheered. Funny that most of those booing came there to see him play, and he's the greatest player any of them will see.

Booing him won't change the past. I'm glad I was able to appreciate him without being blinded by the hate and I actually got to enjoy what is probably the last time I'll see him play.[/quote]

:headbang:

Guest BlackJesus
[center][quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='506996' date='Jul 3 2007, 12:34 AM'][b]ARod[/b][/quote]

[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/cliffy314/rbyjjtdpksfo8.gif[/img][/center]

Guest schotzee
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='508714' date='Jul 8 2007, 06:05 PM'][center]
[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/cliffy314/rbyjjtdpksfo8.gif[/img][/center][/quote]

A Rod could not hold Griff's jock and he cheated on C-Rod with a very un good looking stripper.

Archived