Sony cuts PS3 price

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='520179' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:27 PM']I don't have a PS3, or an XBox 360 or a Wii. Played all three, researched all three...may buy a PS3 soon, but I'm still happy with PS2 (which still sells more consoles than any next-gen).

I don't know what its full potential is, but I do know that of all the research I've done its full potential is easily the best. I know that they will have downloadable movies (in HD...I know, I know...better technology means nothing to you) available, downloadable games and music as well as stated at E3 (PSP will also have this).

I know that what it offers, and what you'd have to buy, over time for the XBox 360 (and the fact that XBox just took out a Billion dollars to fix defunct 360's because they didn't design the thing right, and still don't know what the problem is), makes the XBox 360 more expensive.[/quote]

You dont know what the full potential is but you've done the research and its full potential is the best? :blink: So do you know it or dont you? :blink:

Yes I can download movies on xbox live as well. However again, where are you storing these? Hint: On your PS3 hard drive. ...Ok that was an answer not a hint. I can store the movies I download on either my 360 OR my computer hard drive and choose to save the 360 hard drive for games.

Now as to the silly better techology thing. What defines better technology? Blu-ray? Is that all? Betamax was better techology than VHS, why didnt it last?

Better techology means nothing if that technology isnt arount in 10 years, and if Sony decides that they are not going to open Blu-Ray up, then HD-DVD wins, not because its the better techology but because it was the more open for more people to use.

I got the 360 in the 2nd shipment, and havent had a single problem not one. I dont own a HD-DVD player because 1. I dont use my gaming system as an entertainment system and 2. if I did I can simply download the movies onto my pc and stream them to my 360. So no I havnt paid as much or more than a PS3.

No what this sounds like is someone who likely owned alot of PS2 games and is a bit bothered that the PS3 isnt doing as well as people assumed.

But no worries, many thought Nintendo was dead untill the Wii came out. Now either sony changes things in the next generation and "does a Wii" or they go the route of Sega. But either way, they are not likely to win this generations console wars.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='520215' date='Aug 1 2007, 07:40 PM']You dont know what the full potential is but you've done the research and its full potential is the best? :blink: So do you know it or dont you? :blink:

Yes I can download movies on xbox live as well. However again, where are you storing these? Hint: On your PS3 hard drive. ...Ok that was an answer not a hint. I can store the movies I download on either my 360 OR my computer hard drive and choose to save the 360 hard drive for games.

Now as to the silly better techology thing. What defines better technology? Blu-ray? Is that all? Betamax was better techology than VHS, why didnt it last?

Better techology means nothing if that technology isnt arount in 10 years, and if Sony decides that they are not going to open Blu-Ray up, then HD-DVD wins, not because its the better techology but because it was the more open for more people to use.

I got the 360 in the 2nd shipment, and havent had a single problem not one. I dont own a HD-DVD player because 1. I dont use my gaming system as an entertainment system and 2. if I did I can simply download the movies onto my pc and stream them to my 360. So no I havnt paid as much or more than a PS3.

No what this sounds like is someone who likely owned alot of PS2 games and is a bit bothered that the PS3 isnt doing as well as people assumed.

But no worries, many thought Nintendo was dead untill the Wii came out. Now either sony changes things in the next generation and "does a Wii" or they go the route of Sega. But either way, they are not likely to win this generations console wars.[/quote]
Don't you DARE bring up Betamax in this thread! I'm STILL pissed about that!
:lol:

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='520179' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:27 PM']I do know that of all the research I've done its full potential is easily the best. I know that they will have downloadable movies (in HD...I know, I know...better technology means nothing to you) available, downloadable games and music as well as stated at E3 (PSP will also have this).[/quote]

the 360 has HD movie downloads right now... hell that whole sentence doesnt even make sense... are you pretending ps3 is going to have 25GB movie downloads? or are you pretending the less than 5% of ps3 games that are actually in any form of HD magically make the system better? you know with the absurd load times since the lame ass 2x blu ray player loads and plays data slower than that silly dvd player in the 360?

COMMON SENSE:

The ps3 is in 3rd place in a 3 man race as the ps3 is still trying to break 2 million units in the US, while the 360 is past 6.5 million and the Wii is at 4 million, thats less than 2 of 13 million. 15% of the US market. i think its safe to say things are going well for the ps3.

short recap:

1. last place in next gen sales by far
2. less than 15 % of next gen market obtained.
3. cutting prices and eliminating consoles to try and keep up with features. (i know they arent adding a bigger drive because they are getting pwned in features, and price, cause its got blu ray.)
4. the next gen blu ray loads games and plays data at a slower rate than the 360, wow, bigger games AND slower load times, sweet.
5. ps3 owns just 4 out of over 24 million sales WORLDWIDE, thats what, 16.6% of the market, so you know they are sure smoking the competition elsewhere. the 360 and wii both surpassing the 10 million mark worldwide. and with stacks of ps3's at every store i enter, lets not pretend it has anything to do with availability. eh? and if your planning the "its been out longer" routine, see #6.
6. since the price cut, ps3 has outsold the 360 the last two weeks by nearly 9,000 units a week, at this rate (as if that wont reverse with 360 price dopr shortly) but lets pretend, at that rate, it will only take 667 weeks for the ps3 to catch the 360 in sales. so just think, in 12.8 years, when the xbox 1440 is out, you can boast about how well the ps3 is finally selling (kind of like the lame bullshit you are serving up about the ps2, thats nearly 8 years old)

zing pow..

its common sense, ps3 screwed le pooch .... the pooch has been screwed. game. set. match. king me.

the thing i dont get is why are all these companies changing the way its always been. Lose a bunch of money by selling the systems cheap and make it up on the games. Its worked in the past so why not now?

In reality the sales for all 3 of these systems is pathetic. no way are they making any decent amount of money yet, there arent enough systems in the market yet to sell a ton of games. Most popular game ever for 1 day of sales is Halo 2 with 2.6 million copies sold in 24 hours. If you figure that if Halo 3 is a total success then 50% of the people with a 360 will buy the game over the life of it. Right now that mean just over 3 million people will buy the game. (confusing statment hope you guys understand what im trying to say)

The wii is the cheapest but still almost 300 after tax. Thats a lot for an average income family and that system is very specialized and more of a gimmic system. I had fun playing it but it gets old and isnt really relaxing and a good thing to play at midnight when your bored and just want to sit and play some games. There is a reason the PS2 is still the #1 selling console and PS2 games blow the nexgen systems sales away. If these guys want the main market then they need to bottom out the prices for the console.

[quote name='whodey319' post='521009' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:12 AM']the thing i dont get is why are all these companies changing the way its always been. Lose a bunch of money by selling the systems cheap and make it up on the games. Its worked in the past so why not now?

In reality the sales for all 3 of these systems is pathetic. no way are they making any decent amount of money yet, there arent enough systems in the market yet to sell a ton of games. Most popular game ever for 1 day of sales is Halo 2 with 2.6 million copies sold in 24 hours. If you figure that if Halo 3 is a total success then 50% of the people with a 360 will buy the game over the life of it. Right now that mean just over 3 million people will buy the game. (confusing statment hope you guys understand what im trying to say)

The wii is the cheapest but still almost 300 after tax. Thats a lot for an average income family and that system is very specialized and more of a gimmic system. I had fun playing it but it gets old and isnt really relaxing and a good thing to play at midnight when your bored and just want to sit and play some games. There is a reason the PS2 is still the #1 selling console and PS2 games blow the nexgen systems sales away. If these guys want the main market then they need to bottom out the prices for the console.[/quote]

al of the systems did take a hit on price. i think the elite will be sold at cost at the new $449 price, and the premium and core losing $50-75 per console. the ps3 is sold at an even bigger loss especially with the price drop i think i heard $75-150 per unit. its just each system tried to do the most off the bat and costs went up.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='521135' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:40 PM']al of the systems did take a hit on price. i think the elite will be sold at cost at the new $449 price, and the premium and core losing $50-75 per console. the ps3 is sold at an even bigger loss especially with the price drop i think i heard $75-150 per unit. its just each system tried to do the most off the bat and costs went up.[/quote]
i mean a major hit though and basically lose your ass just so you get your system out there. Im talking sell the HD units with hard drives for 200-250. That means you take an addition 200-300 hit upfront but now how many more customers do you have to buy extra controllers and accessories. Also, that means i only have to buy 3-5 games to make up the gross cost difference. In reality though, i will probably have 3-5 games within months and probably 10 + games in the first year. But since the up front cost before you even can play a game is so high, the majority of people arent going for it. Its way easier to pay a lot in the long run that having to do it up front.

Right now microsoft and sony are Mercedes and BMW which means your high price kills off the majority of the market interested in gaming.

I can take 400 bucks and upgrade a standard dell computer and make it play any PC game on the market for the next few years at least. Plus i can do everything else a computer can do. I am definately a PC supporter over everything else but i still have a softspot for consoles for some reason.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='520724' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:00 PM']its common sense, ps3 screwed le pooch .... the pooch has been screwed. game. set. match. king me.[/quote]

Its funny that "screwed the pooch" to you is a company taking its time to come out with a quality machine.

I'd call screwing the pooch having to take out $1,000,000,000.00+ (haven't seen you mention that one in the extremely reliable research you've provided on this thread) of your own money to fix your Red Rings of Death, fatal mistake. I guess we differ there.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='521229' date='Aug 3 2007, 07:45 PM']Its funny that "screwed the pooch" to you is a company taking its time to come out with a quality machine.
I'd call screwing the pooch having to take out $1,000,000,000.00+ (haven't seen you mention that one in the extremely reliable research you've provided on this thread) of your own money to fix your Red Rings of Death, fatal mistake. I guess we differ there.[/quote]

Once again.... Not EVERY machine has had issues. I know I havent.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='521256' date='Aug 3 2007, 08:23 PM']Once again.... Not EVERY machine has had issues. I know I havent.[/quote]
i had my 360 on for exactly 30 seconds and got my money back. decided keeping the money for vegas was better so i didnt replace it. Ill wait til xmas and get the wife to buy me something.

Still not backing off my point though that these guys are all still fucked as of right now. nintendo may be making a little money but wont last because wii is to gimmicky and sony hasnt sold enough ps3's but ps2 is still making their game division profitable and microsoft is now spending more money to repair and replace defects than they have made off of all their 360 sales. doesnt sound like anyone is having a good time really and this isnt really that unexpected.

Mark my words, one of the 2 if not both is going to get fed up of only having minimal sales of games and units and they are going to produce and shit ton of units and lowball everyone

Almost makes a much sense as saying sony is fucked...I mean c'mon we're talking MICROSOFT and SONY here. Regardless of what happens with video games, I'm with Jamie B on the fact that, c'mon, its Microsoft and Sony here. They could pay people to play these systems and still be worth billions.

Hell...look at Nintendo, they hadn't done shit since the original (and Gameboy), pretty sure they stayed alive all those years.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='521302' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:21 PM']Almost makes a much sense as saying sony is fucked...I mean c'mon we're talking MICROSOFT and SONY here.[/quote]

Oh I dont think Sony is fucked at all, but they arent going to win this round of console wars, you can bet on it.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='521300' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:18 PM']Microsoft fucked? Serisouly, reread that and ask youself if you really believe they as a company are fucked, this is a blip on the radar.[/quote]
yeah there gaming division is making no money. both companies in terms of their nextgen consoles arent exactly going in their predicted directions

microsoft is definately not winning. They may have sold more consoles but their warranty extension and repair costs have cost them an amount that cant be recovered quickly

and sony doesnt really need to win this round. They are stilling selling ps2s like wildfire and at this point those things are profitable beyond belief.

[quote]Interest for the highly-anticipated, next-gen gaming console built by Sony has dropped sharply, according to Japanese firm Media Create. So PS2 will reclaim its royal crown in 2008 too.

The Japanese research firm Media Create reported that PlayStation 2 (with a cheaper price and more games to play) beat its bigger sister PlayStation 3, on Sony’s traditional playground: Japan. That is not exactly bad news for Sony, but it’s bad news for those involved in manufacturing the PS3 with such huge costs and losses.

The PS2, launched almost 7 years ago, managed to sell more units than its newer and more powerful successor in January, although the difference is quite small. For the week of January 22 to January 28, sales of the PlayStation 2 totaled 20,995 units while those of the PlayStation 3 were 19,996, Media Create reported. The research company receives data from around 3000 stores across Japan and uses that to estimate nationwide sales.

This raises questions about how anxious gamers are to get their hands on a cheap Blu Ray player that doesn’t (yet) have an attractive game-pack. People buy PS2 for gaming, and Sony knows that, but is also insisting that its target of shipping 6 million PS3s all over the world is still standing, despite the fact that the hype for the console is gone and that media and industry analysts (along with developers and publishers) have continuously slammed Sony’s latest gaming product.

Even Sony Computer Entertainment of America Senior VP of Marketing, Peter Dille, admitted that PS2 is still a strong brand: "Month in, month out, the PlayStation 2 continues to outsell Xbox 360. I think you see the consumers voting with their wallets on the PlayStation brand." Yes, the PlayStation brand in general: there are over 200 million PS, PS2, PS3 or PSP owners in the world. But PS3 owners are (still) a minority compared to PS2 owners, a reason for which Sony raised this week its full year shipment target for PS2 to 13 million units from 11 million units previously announced.

PS2 is clearly the holder of all-times record: more than 103 million consoles sold by the end of March 2006. So Sony will sell by the end of March 2007 a total of 116 million PS2 consoles, an impressive achievement for everyone.

"The PS2 will have legs well into 2008," said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles. And while Nintendo Co.'s Wii console is getting most of the industry buzz, and the Xbox 360 from Microsoft Corp. has racked up big sales in its first year on the market, some say the PS2 might even beat out each of those offerings in 2007. "The PS2 probably has the capacity to sell more than any other gaming" console, said Simon Jeffrey, chief operating officer at game maker Sega of America.

The same trend will apparently be visible in 2008 too. According to research by rating agency Standard & Poor's Sony will ship next year another bulk of 11 million PS2s, while PS3s will only manage to have around 7 million owners.

The reasons for PS2’s success are many, but among the most important is the price, which dropped from the initial $300 to only $130 today. The existing software package is also an important asset, since gamers are not only keen on playing next-gen games, but also arcade games too.

"All the media focus is on next-gen consoles and games, but a lot of the software companies will make a substantial portion of their earnings by selling [older] games," said Erik Whiteford, marketing director at California game maker 2K Sports.[/quote]

interesting article. on pace for 13 million PS2 sales is amazing at this point since its been out for 7 years

[quote name='whodey319' post='521305' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:24 PM']yeah there gaming division is making no money. both companies in terms of their nextgen consoles arent exactly going in their predicted directions

microsoft is definately not winning. They may have sold more consoles but their warranty extension and repair costs have cost them an amount that cant be recovered quickly

and sony doesnt really need to win this round. They are stilling selling ps2s like wildfire and at this point those things are profitable beyond belief.[/quote]

Once Halo 3 comes out they will recoup any money they have to spend on extended warranties. That game will do massive sales, watch.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='521329' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:30 PM']Once Halo 3 comes out they will recoup any money they have to spend on extended warranties. That game will do massive sales, watch.[/quote]
i explained this before though. They will be lucky to sell as many total copies in a year as they sold on the first day halo 2 came out. There arent enough people with 360's yet to expect multi million game sales for one game. Gears of war is the only game i could find that has sold more total units than what halo did in 1 day.

I searched as much as i can and the best selling game of recent times is grand theft auto vice city for PS2 (13 million games for 110 million units = 12% of consoles have the game) and Halo 2 for xbox (8 million games out of 25 million units = 32% of consoles have the game)

ill give halo 3 the benefit of the doubt and say half the people want the game and microsoft gets 50% of the game price as profit = 9 million in profit on a generous estimate and just guessing by microsofts admission that their failure rate up to this point is about 30% and they also did a total redesign of the chips in the console. Basically they are using the game that was supposed to make them the most money to recoup costs from product failure. Thats not a good thing

[quote name='whodey319' post='521341' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:24 PM']i explained this before though. They will be lucky to sell as many total copies in a year as they sold on the first day halo 2 came out. There arent enough people with 360's yet to expect multi million game sales for one game. Gears of war is the only game i could find that has sold more total units than what halo did in 1 day.

I searched as much as i can and the best selling game of recent times is grand theft auto vice city for PS2 (13 million games for 110 million units = 12% of consoles have the game) and Halo 2 for xbox (8 million games out of 25 million units = 32% of consoles have the game)

ill give halo 3 the benefit of the doubt and say half the people want the game and microsoft gets 50% of the game price as profit = 9 million in profit on a generous estimate and just guessing by microsofts admission that their failure rate up to this point is about 30% and they also did a total redesign of the chips in the console. Basically they are using the game that was supposed to make them the most money to recoup costs from product failure. Thats not a good thing[/quote]

i dont get it.. what does ps2 have to do with any of this?

this is all about pooch screwing in next gen systems. i purchased 4+ ps2's. in 7 years. since there wasnt much competitionm xbox came out two years later. and was the first of its consoles. hell i owned 2 ps2's by the time OG xbox dropped. i have purchased nearly 10 playstation products dating back to thier origination. and only 2 xbox products, both were 360's. none of which has anything to do with the fact that ps3 is fucked. ps2's success doesnt make ps3 better. no one is saying the company is going bankrupt its fucking sony. that doesnt mean the ps3 isnt fucked.

i dont get what the ps2 has to do with anything in this thread at all. regardless of how many times its explained. ps2 selling billions doesnt make ps3 worth $600

[quote name='whodey319' post='521341' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:24 PM']i explained this before though. They will be lucky to sell as many total copies in a year as they sold on the first day halo 2 came out. There arent enough people with 360's yet to expect multi million game sales for one game. Gears of war is the only game i could find that has sold more total units than what halo did in 1 day.

ill give halo 3 the benefit of the doubt and say half the people want the game and microsoft gets 50% of the game price as profit = 9 million in profit on a generous estimate and just guessing by microsofts admission that their failure rate up to this point is about 30% and they also did a total redesign of the chips in the console. Basically they are using the game that was supposed to make them the most money to recoup costs from product failure. Thats not a good thing[/quote]

Except you discount the factor that ALOT of people are waiting to buy a 360 when they buy that game. ;)

I keep seeing this 1 billion dollar loss figure being thrown out to argue against the Xbox 360, but no mention at all about how Microsoft makes about $75 per system sold, while Sony loses $250 to 300 per system sold. Add that to losses they are also taking from defective systems and you've got about the same figure in money lost. The difference between the two systems though is Sony will continue taking the large losses every time a system is sold, while Microsoft is correcting the problem with their system (cutting down on the defective system loses), and will continue to make money or break even on sales.

[quote name='Soundwave' post='521516' date='Aug 4 2007, 03:46 PM']I keep seeing this 1 billion dollar loss figure being thrown out to argue against the Xbox 360, but no mention at all about how Microsoft makes about $75 per system sold, while Sony loses $250 to 300 per system sold. Add that to losses they are also taking from defective systems and you've got about the same figure in money lost. The difference between the two systems though is Sony will continue taking the large losses every time a system is sold, while Microsoft is correcting the problem with their system (cutting down on the defective system loses), and will continue to make money or break even on sales.[/quote]

but how can you just IGNORE the blu ray player?

Archived