(Jeff) Smith savors camp (QB that`s wearing #7)

[quote][size=5][b]Smith savors camp[/b][/size]

By CHRIS HUGHES
7/29/07

Not even the threat of lightning could pull Jeff Smith away from his adoring public.

The Bengals rookie and former Georgetown College quarterback signed autographs, posed for photos and hobnobbed with fans after his first training camp practice Friday until the event staff literally grabbed and ushered him to the locker room as a thunderstorm rolled into Toyota Stadium.

"It's been cool. I've never been part of something like this," Smith said. "I think I signed close to 100 autographs. One guy told me I had big guns and should play linebacker."

While a position switch to defense will not happen anytime soon, Smith is currently locked in a battle with 2007 fifth-round draft choice Jeff Rowe to be the team's third quarterback.

Smith admits he has little room for error and needs to be sharp on every throw.

"I think I took a step up from the spring practices. I felt pretty good, but I didn't get to show too much because they're getting Carson (Palmer) ready for the season," Smith said.

Being back in Georgetown where he had so much success in college makes Smith feel at ease and, he hopes, gives him a slight advantage over Rowe.

"I felt more comfortable being back here than I did in Cincinnati where my house is only 10 minutes away from the stadium," Smith said. "Being back home and seeing some familiar faces helps."

Smith's performance on the field was good enough to draw praise from Palmer.

"I thought he looked good. He's got a great shot to make the team," Palmer said. "He just needs to keep practicing and keep getting reps. I don't see why he wouldn't make the team as long as he keeps making the right throws and good decisions."

Although securing a roster spot is Smith's main focus, he still takes time to soak in the ambiance of his first NFL training camp - including the drawbacks of being a rookie surrounded by veterans.

"(Palmer) already filled us in that us rookies are the food go-getters. We carry his golf bag and that kind of stuff," Smith joked.

"I haven't done that yet, but it's a good idea," Palmer said. "I'll get on that."

Whether Smith makes the team or not, the experience is something he'll never forget.

"It's been a once-in-a-lifetime thing," Smith said. "I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can."[/quote]

[url="http://www.georgetownnews.com/articles/2007/07/29/sports/sports01.txt"]http://www.georgetownnews.com/articles/200...ts/sports01.txt[/url]

Nice write up & I'm glad he's savoring camp, but if Jeff Smith makes the team over the 4th rounder Rowe I'll be seriously pissed!

I still don't get drafting a QB with that pick when ANY defensive player would have made more sense considering how terrible our defense was last year. This is an audition for another team anyway. There's no way they let another QB wear #7. It's been unofficially "retired" since SOB lowballed Boomer out of town.

[quote name='stinger223' post='518439' date='Jul 29 2007, 01:52 PM']Nice write up & I'm glad he's savoring camp, but if Jeff Smith makes the team over the 4th rounder Rowe I'll be seriously pissed!

I still don't get drafting a QB with that pick when ANY defensive player would have made more sense considering how terrible our defense was last year. This is an audition for another team anyway. There's no way they let another QB wear #7. It's been unofficially "retired" since SOB lowballed Boomer out of town.[/quote]

He was 5th round.

The Bengals needed to settle the reserve QB position. For 2 years they tried to get a veteran who
might be willing to back up Palmer, but none bit. So we might as well get the one we want rather than
see what castoffs are available.

THis is what late rounds are for - to build depth not to find immediate starters. Depth at QB is important
to any team, and especially the Bengals who rely on the passing game so much.

[quote name='Brew Crew Grrl' post='518485' date='Jul 29 2007, 09:27 PM']I love seeing Jeff out there.... though not necessiarily wearing #7. Went to the same high school as the kid and grew up around his family. He's really a great guy and I still think its bizarre seeing him in my beloved Bengals black and orange ^_^[/quote]
Somehow I think Jeff thinks it is just as bizarre.

[quote name='Brew Crew Grrl' post='518494' date='Jul 29 2007, 10:00 PM']Yea.... it sucks knowing that if he goes anywhere it'll be the PS, but at least I got a pic of him in stripes while it lasts :)[/quote]
Hell yeah. If I were him I'd be having a hard time not pissing myself each time I walked out onto the field with Marvin, Carson, and co.

I'd be happy to see him make the roster. It's a longshot, but it's not like Doug Johnson is worth a shit.

In my unprofessional opinion, from what very little I saw, Smith looked MUCH better than Rowe...

... after watching Rowes release today, I have no idea why the Bengals drafted him. He may be a good game QB or what not, but his release looked very awkward and very forced

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='518616' date='Jul 29 2007, 10:31 PM']In my unprofessional opinion, from what very little I saw, Smith looked MUCH better than Rowe...
... after watching Rowes release today, I have no idea why the Bengals drafted him. He may be a good game QB or what not, but his release looked very awkward and very forced[/quote]

doug looked better than the other scrubbs but yea rowe looked the most off today... when johnson overthrew the WR jumped and it hit their hands.. when rowe overthrew they just watched it sail by..

[quote][size=5][b]BENGALS TRAINING CAMP: Smith battling to be Palmer's back-up [/b][/size]

By GREG CREWS
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:47 PM CDT
Elizabethtown KY, News Enterprise

GEORGETOWN — In the battle for who will get to back up Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer this season, Jeff Smith has the home-field advantage.

Smith, a former Newport Central Catholic High School and Georgetown College standout, was picked up out of free agency by Cincinnati shortly before graduating college in May. Now, Smith finds himself in the familiar confines of Georgetown College’s Toyota Stadium as he competes for a job in the Bengals’ two-week summer training camp.
“It’s really cool,” Smith said of returning to Georgetown for training camp. “I’m seeing a lot of familiar faces and my family is here watching every day. The comfort factor is definitely helping me out.”

And Smith will need all the help he can get over the next two weeks as he tries to make a transition that few players even attempt. Smith, who led Georgetown College to a 30-6 record in three seasons as a starter, is trying to make the jump from NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) to the NFL.

“It’s a pretty tough transition,” Smith said. “The toughest thing about it has been the mental aspect. There are more plays, more reads, more stuff to put on my shoulders mentally.”

Smith said that the increased speed of the game and the defenders was a bit intimidating until he got accustomed to it. But what intimidated Smith even more than the fast 300-pound defensive ends was his new playbook.

“I was overwhelmed a little bit,” Smith said of receiving the thick binder. “It’s about 10 or 11 times more complicated (than Georgetown’s offense). But I took my time and learned one thing at a time.”

Learning has been Smith’s mission since joining the Bengals. He said that his goal for training camp is to just become a more knowledgeable quarterback.

“I’m trying to get better every day,” Smith said. “I’m just trying to pick up one new thing every day.”

In his last three seasons with Georgetown, the 6-foot-5, 235-pound quarterback accumulated 8,410 yards and 79 touchdowns on 640 completions with just 36 interceptions.

In high school, Smith led Newport Central Catholic to two Class 1-A state runner-up finishes in 2000 and 2001.

Now, Smith will get a chance to take the field in Paul Brown Stadium, just five miles away from his hometown in Fort Thomas.

“Not really, but we can say that I was,” Smith joked when asked if he was a Bengals fan growing up. “Yeah, I like the Bengals. And now I’m playing for them, the hometown team. So, it’s pretty cool.”

But before Smith can run down the tunnel to the roaring hometown crowd, he will have to duel veteran quarterback Doug Johnson, and rookie Jeff Rowe, a fifth-round draft pick from Nevada, not only for position on the depth chart, but just for a spot on the roster.

Smith has signed a two-year free agent contract with the Bengals. However, that contract is contingent upon him making the 65-man roster and not being one of the 21 players cut from the team in the coming weeks.

“I think I have a decent shot, but with them drafting (Jeff Rowe), I don’t know,” Smith said. “I’ll just have to put it in the coaches’ hands and let them decide.”

Smith said that if he doesn’t make the cut, his agent will try to get him on with another NFL team. But Smith isn’t trying to focus on the cut right now. He is just trying to take his newly found NFL career one day at a time.

“It’s all about the small victories for me right now,” Smith said. “I feel pretty good about the way I am playing right now, but I still have a long way to go.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.newsenterpriseonline.com/articles/2007/08/01/sports/sports02.txt"]http://www.newsenterpriseonline.com/articl...ts/sports02.txt[/url]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='518616' date='Jul 29 2007, 10:31 PM']In my unprofessional opinion, from what very little I saw, Smith looked MUCH better than Rowe...
... after watching Rowes release today, I have no idea why the Bengals drafted him. He may be a good game QB or what not, but his release looked very awkward and very forced[/quote]

If he is anything like the pictures I have seen, the guy is probably the skinniest dude on the roster. How is his arm? Can he throw deep?

He looks like a character from a Tim Burton cartoon.

Archived