[quote name='Indianabengal' post='532964' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:11 PM']Are you forgettin about Herana Daz Jones. They have been working him out at corner too. I know, I know, I'm a bigtime homer. But when he played against the Aints, he went off. What are the coaches supposed to do. I honestly thought he was in trouble come the 28th. But he played real tough last Friday. player of the game. I also herd that he broke Shaun Alexanders single season rushing record at some Louisville High School. Could he be our weapon out of the backfield? Now go easy on me. Bellicheck tries that shit out all the time. I have to go to Harrison to pick up my brother. So I won't get to reply for a while.[/quote]

Indiana - I know your a homer when it comes to HD Jones and I respect that. But I saw a different side to the game. HD made tackles because nearly 50% of all the passes in the second half were completed against him At one point the saints completed 3 passes in a row against HD. He made the tackles, yes, but I would not call that a glowing endorsement. I'm not saying he doesn't make the roster, but I do think he is in a battle for the last 1 to 2 spots on the roster.

[quote]—S Jones played extensively at cornerback against the Saints. The experiment, apparently successful, all but spells the end of fourth-year cornerback Keiwan Ratliff's run with the Bengals. Ratliff, a 2004 second-round pick, has a place in Lewis' doghouse.[/quote]

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/home.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/home.htm[/url]

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='533479' date='Aug 25 2007, 08:56 PM'][url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/home.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/home.htm[/url][/quote]

thats just a silly comment.

with jojo coming off injury and oneal coming back from injury and off year, and hall being a raw rookie, i cant imagine a scenario that lands ratliff off the roster.

to even fathom a safety who played CB for like 2 months now taking his spot is embarrassing to even read. maybe ratliff is in the doghouse and maybe he is sure gone next year, but i cant imagine him not making the team.

that comment is like saying, hmm mcneal and brazill are getting extensive work at WR, probably cause chad johnson is on his was out and in lewis' dog house.

I just don't see the Bengals cutting Keiwan. There is no logic in that move. We have a lot of up and coming players,but Keiwan knows this defense,he knows where he is suppose to be on every play. He has made some mistakes, but he has made some great plays and some plays that only someone with experience would know to make. The Bengals have too many "projects" going on right now, we are in the "window",every position can not be a project for the younger guys to learn on the job.

[quote name='KoKaine7777' post='533508' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:39 PM']I just don't see the Bengals cutting Keiwan. There is no logic in that move. We have a lot of up and coming players,but Keiwan knows this defense,he knows where he is suppose to be on every play. He has made some mistakes, but he has made some great plays and some plays that only someone with experience would know to make. The Bengals have too many "projects" going on right now, we are in the "window",every position can not be a project for the younger guys to learn on the job.[/quote]

yea.. i agree with this knob.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='533524' date='Aug 25 2007, 11:52 PM']I don't see Keiwan getting cut either, just posting what USA Today wrote. But seriously, wtf has Keiwan ever done for this team ? A second round pick hasn't done squat !! Probably the WORST punt returner I've ever seen in my 41 years.[/quote]

how quickly you forget TJ returning punts..

but he had done decent as a nickel and did well his rookie year in coverage, something off the field is keeping him off it come gametime... he gets invisible a lot, and he gets a pass from me as he was probably our best corner behind jojo, then oneal hurt and tory toast james...

will be interesting to see what comes of him this year (kewan and playing time)

Whom makes it? Well you must look at all the spots and remember it will come to the point that special teams will make the decision. Remember playing in the AFC will result in seeing 4 receiver sets against NE, Indy and I'm hearing Pitt so you will need 4 quality corners. Everyone is high on White/Ndukwe but DJax/Madiau are not going anywhere ----------- so how do you keep?

O'Neal, Hall, B Williams & Blue Adams are listed at LCB
JJ, Ratliff, Wright are listed at RCB.
DJax, Ndukwe, Busing are listed at SS
Madiau, White, Indiana, Kilmer are listed at FS.

First how many do we keep of each? I think Busing has been starting on a special teams so does he go/stay? Everyone wants to develop Kimer so does he stay/go? Ratliff has done little and I'm surprised he has not been converted to safety since he seems to lack CB speed go/stay.

Does Madiau ability to play CB result in keeping an extra safety?

Locks are JJ, Hall, Madiau, Ndukwe, White.
Could DJax or O'Neal be the surpise cut guys? I doubt it and think both will make it.

This leaves B Williams, Blue, Ratliff, Wright, Indiana & Kilmer fighting it out for what 2-3 CB spots?
This leaves Busing, Indiana & Kilmer fighting it out for what --- 1-2 spot?

Kilmer has a huge upside. Indiana & Busing contribute on ST's.

Going to be interesting

[quote name='GoBengals' post='532970' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:21 PM']gee a COLUMBUS writer dissing a FLORIDA CB and propping up a OSU Corner....

STUNNING...[/quote]

Are you currently wearing some sort of tin hat to keep the aliens away? Is there really a big pro-OSU media agenda?

First, Wright went to Ohio University in Athens Ohio. Second, Ratliff is from Columbus and is more of a hometown favorite than a random Ohio U. CB with no Columbus ties at all.

And we really did land on the moon too.

[quote name='happyrid' post='533629' date='Aug 26 2007, 12:55 PM']Are you currently wearing some sort of tin hat to keep the aliens away? Is there really a big pro-OSU media agenda?

First, Wright went to Ohio University in Athens Ohio. Second, Ratliff is from Columbus and is more of a hometown favorite than a random Ohio U. CB with no Columbus ties at all.

And we really did land on the moon too.[/quote]

we already discussed half of that, but i appreciate your unbiased synopses of the turn of events.. OSU fan from columbus...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='533643' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:23 PM']we already discussed half of that, but i appreciate your unbiased synopses of the turn of events.. OSU fan from columbus...[/quote]

haha, my bad. just got home from the weekend and was reading through when i saw your response and felt the need to respond immediately without reading further. and you have me pegged. only 6 more days until the buckeyes start and I have 2 Bengals preseason games to get me through. should be a great week.

[i]Whom makes it? Well you must look at all the spots and remember it will come to the point that special teams will make the decision. Remember playing in the AFC will result in seeing 4 receiver sets against NE, Indy and I'm hearing Pitt so you will need 4 quality corners. Everyone is high on White/Ndukwe but DJax/Madiau are not going anywhere ----------- so how do you keep?

O'Neal, Hall, B Williams & Blue Adams are listed at LCB
JJ, Ratliff, Wright are listed at RCB.
DJax, Ndukwe, Busing are listed at SS
Madiau, White, Indiana, Kilmer are listed at FS.

First how many do we keep of each? I think Busing has been starting on a special teams so does he go/stay? Everyone wants to develop Kimer so does he stay/go? Ratliff has done little and I'm surprised he has not been converted to safety since he seems to lack CB speed go/stay.

Does Madiau ability to play CB result in keeping an extra safety?

Locks are JJ, Hall, Madiau, Ndukwe, White.
Could DJax or O'Neal be the surpise cut guys? I doubt it and think both will make it.

This leaves B Williams, Blue, Ratliff, Wright, Indiana & Kilmer fighting it out for what 2-3 CB spots?
This leaves Busing, Indiana & Kilmer fighting it out for what --- 1-2 spot?

Kilmer has a huge upside. Indiana & Busing contribute on ST's.

Going to be interesting[/i]

I see JJ, Hall, O'Neal, Madieu, DJax, White, Ndukwe and Kilmer as the 8 guys who are locks to make the team.

So I see only 2 of: Ratliff, Wright, Williams, Blue, Heranadaze, and Busing making the team.

I really don't have too much of an opinion but my guess would be that Blue ends up on PUP and that Williams and Jones take the last 2 roster spots. But this is likely still wide open.

[quote name='happyrid' post='533698' date='Aug 26 2007, 02:03 PM']I see JJ, Hall, O'Neal, Madieu, DJax, White, Ndukwe and Kilmer as the 8 guys who are locks to make the team.

So I see only 2 of: Ratliff, Wright, Williams, Blue, Heranadaze, and Busing making the team.

I really don't have too much of an opinion but my guess would be that Blue ends up on PUP and that Williams and Jones take the last 2 roster spots. But this is likely still wide open.[/quote]

Not too bad but I wonder ------------
Is Kilmer really what we think he is?
Does Indiana Jones have an edge due to being able to play CB & safety? How good is he on ST's?
Are ST's enough to get Busing to make the team?
Will the vet Ratliff stick in light of O'Neal coming off an oft injured season --- JJ's recent injury and the rookie Hall?
Will Wright land on the practice squad?
Will Madiau's ability to play CB result in an extra safety being kept and only 4 CB's?

[quote][size=5][b]Key for Ratliff? 'Keep working'[/b][/size]

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, August 27, 2007

ATLANTA — What does the future hold for Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratliff?

He believes he's on the bubble, and it just might burst when Cincinnati's roster gets sliced from 87 to 75 on Tuesday.

"I have no ideal what it's going to be," he said. "I could be here (with the Bengals). I could be somewhere else. Hopefully, I'll be somewhere where I can play."

Ratliff is currently the No. 2 right corner behind Johnathan Joseph. Ratliff started the preseason opener at Detroit, only to be dealt a week-long setback because of oral surgery. He had all four wisdom teeth pulled.

"I was more hungry than I was in pain," said Ratliff, who couldn't eat solid food for several days. "That's the easiest diet I know."

Ratliff shouldn't sell himself short.

"He's done a good job and played his butt off," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "He just needs to keep working."

[b]Suiting up[/b]

Left offensive tackle Levi Jones will see his first action of the preseason tonight because the pain in his left knee has subsided.

"There's a little bit of rust," Jones said. "But for the most part, I'm good. The pain is good. It gets sore at times, but that's expected. It's just something I have to deal with and work through. It's a lot better than it was."

Will he start?

"It's whatever they want," he added. "I don't think they're planning on me playing too much given the minimal reps I've been getting in practice. But I'm ready to go."

[b]Home sweet home[/b]

Strong safety John Busing hails from the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta, Ga.

"It's always good to be back home," he said. "I'll get to see a lot of friends and family, and being on Monday night is big, too."

Busing is third string behind Dexter Jackson and Chinedum Ndukwe, but his superb coverage on special teams is a big plus.

"I have to come up big in the kicking game and make sure I'm solid in the defense, and try to make a few plays there," he said. "You've just got to make sure you're on top of your game and do everything you can."

[b]Plenty of connections[/b]

Three former Bengals — linebacker Marcus Wilkins, center Ben Wilkerson and quarterback Casey Bramlet — are with the Falcons. Wilkins is the backup strong-side linebacker, while Wilkerson and Bramlet are third stringers.

Hue Jackson, the Bengals' wide receivers coach from 2004-06, is in his first season as Falcons offensive coordinator.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com.[/quote]

Archived