no way ratliff doesnt make the team, no matter what a male named CHICK wants to think.

i think williams is odd man out. he was toasted several times in camp when i was there... i havent caught too much of wright, anywhere, but seems he is a sound tackler. we may have a better look come monday though. we will certainly see some cuts tuesday after the game, only 3 days to get ready for the colts game and about 30 dudes to cut just a few days after it.

[quote name='Jason' post='532877' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:08 PM']If he gets healthy I think our 5th corner will be Ethan "Val" Kilmer.[/quote]

whats his injury status. hell i dont even know what his injury is...

he should have a roster spot. if we want to keep willis/jackson/white/nukem CB might be where he fits in...

[quote][size=5][b]Bob Hunter commentary: Rumblings[/b][/size]
Friday, August 24, 2007 3:27 AM
By BOB HUNTER

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

[b]If Whitehall grad Keiwan Ratliff[/b] isn't on the Bengals' opening day roster, it might be because former Ohio standout T.J. Wright makes the team. Ratliff has said he would rather be cut than be the fourth cornerback, and that's what the future might hold.

Ratliff's role appears to be shrinking and it doesn't help that Madieu Williams has been taking snaps at nickel back.

If the Bengals decide to go that way, they would likely try to trade Ratliff, and there should be some takers. Ratliff is a former second-round draft pick, and while he hasn't excelled, he has some value.[/quote]

[url="http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/08/24/rumble24.ART_ART_08-24-07_C3_M37MT4H.html?sid=101"]http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...4H.html?sid=101[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='532879' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:11 PM']whats his injury status. hell i dont even know what his injury is...

he should have a roster spot. if we want to keep willis/jackson/white/nukem CB might be where he fits in...[/quote]

The injury is a quad, but I'm not sure what his status is.

[quote]Kicker Shayne Graham also worked on the side. Wide receiver Antonio Chatman (hamstring) remains sidelined. Right tackle Willie Anderson (foot) and [b]cornerback Ethan Kilmer (quad) also didn't work. [/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6219"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6219[/url]

I still remember that vicious hit Ratliff put on Wines Hard a couple years ago..
Was thinking " he's going to have slot receivers thinking about him more than the ball"
He looked decent on punt returns as well...

Fast Forward to August 07..
He looks very expendable...
His play is very mediocre at best and he's allmost a liability as a return man.

Keep him because he's an experienced defender? He doesnt defend all that well and I havent seen him
make a hard hit since Ward..

Now he's whining about playing the dime? Hell he ought to feel fortunate the team is even "thinking" of
keeping his ass..

I think he goes soon...

Are you forgettin about Herana Daz Jones. They have been working him out at corner too. I know, I know, I'm a bigtime homer. But when he played against the Aints, he went off. What are the coaches supposed to do. I honestly thought he was in trouble come the 28th. But he played real tough last Friday. player of the game. I also herd that he broke Shaun Alexanders single season rushing record at some Louisville High School. Could he be our weapon out of the backfield? Now go easy on me. Bellicheck tries that shit out all the time. I have to go to Harrison to pick up my brother. So I won't get to reply for a while.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='532885' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:19 PM'][url="http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/08/24/rumble24.ART_ART_08-24-07_C3_M37MT4H.html?sid=101"]http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...4H.html?sid=101[/url][/quote]
gee a COLUMBUS writer dissing a FLORIDA CB and propping up a OSU Corner....

STUNNING...

Ratliff looks like a player who is contracting rather than growing. And its his last year anyway. Does anyone imagine the team will offer him another contract after the year?

This is two years now that he's been talked up in camps and vanished from the coaches minds in the first preseason games. His
ST value is minimal (poor punt returns, but doesnt fumble for a plus). He hasnt become a valuable role player slot like KK or Walter did and become appreciated that way.

His situation reminds me of Kelly Washington's last year. I thought he was close to being cut or traded then. I think its a close thing for Ratliff making the squad this year. Madeu may take over his 4th corner duties in the game, and the corner we keep is a special teams guy like HD Jones.

Ratliff isnt going anywhere, if we lose ONE DB or if Deltha ends up playing like last year, Hall would take over and who's going to play the nickel then? Ratlff has experience at it, after than its a bunch of guys who we know nothing about.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='532984' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:46 PM']Ratliff isnt going anywhere, if we lose ONE DB or if Deltha ends up playing like last year, Hall would take over and who's going to play the nickel then? Ratlff has experience at it, after than its a bunch of guys who we know nothing about.[/quote]

Probably you are right, but they [b]have[/b] practiced Madeau at corner this camp. If they cut Ratliff, they would be intending him to play there, and one of Kilmer, White, or Ndukwe to take his place at safety in case of injury. Williams has experience at least.

Given our history with injures back there, they'll probably hang on to Kiewan. He does have a bit of a ball hawk in him, at least.

Just trying to read the tea leaves, that's all.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='533002' date='Aug 24 2007, 05:28 PM']Probably you are right, but they [b]have[/b] practiced Madeau at corner this camp. If they cut Ratliff, they would be intending him to play there, and one of Kilmer, White, or Ndukwe to take his place at safety in case of injury. Williams has experience at least.

Given our history with injures back there, they'll probably hang on to Kiewan. He does have a bit of a ball hawk in him, at least.

Just trying to read the tea leaves, that's all.[/quote]

They have been doing that for the purpose of disgusing packages, Madieu is not going to go to full time nickelback.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='533002' date='Aug 24 2007, 05:28 PM']Probably you are right, but they [b]have[/b] practiced Madeau at corner this camp. If they cut Ratliff, they would be intending him to play there, and one of Kilmer, White, or Ndukwe to take his place at safety in case of injury. Williams has experience at least.

Just trying to read the tea leaves, that's all.[/quote]

i cant imagine we are willing to start any new "projects" such as a satefy at corner for this year... our talent window is closing for playoff runs, test time is over. if tory james keeps a STARTING role playing like last year, ratliff is due an extension in comparison. he will play this year, be tendered and traded or cut for next year..

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='532868' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:56 PM']Who do you think our fifth corner will be and who will be the odd man out? Do TJ Wright make it over Brandon Williams? Or do both make it over Ratliff?[/quote]

so who are you counting as the 4th if it isn't Kilmer?

IMO, here is what I see:

Deltha
Hall
JJoe

all locks.

I'd consider Kilmer a lock since they love him, but he hasn't seen the field yet. IMO, he, Ratliff, and Wright are competing for the last 2 spots. With Madieu, D-jax, white, ndukwe, and jones making it as safeties.

Archived